Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please give me hope!! Snapped Achilles' tendon

Poster: A snowHead
3 weeks go I totally snapped my Achilles' tendon!!! I am in a vacoped boot until mid sept then physio after that. I am hoping to go skiing next march with the family! Has anyone had this injury before and is march to soon or not to ski????

J snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ouch. Good luck. My father snapped both last November. Fell like a sack of spuds. Good luck.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I snapped mine (completely) about 25 years ago, so I'm way out of date on modern surgery etc. If I remember accurately, it was about 3 months in plaster, but after that it was just a case of building up muscle tissue again.
The reason I was in plaster for so long is that once the snapped ends of the tendon have been stitched together, the tendon is slightly shorter and to avoid too much tension being put on it straight away, my leg was put in plaster with my foot in the position it would be in if I was standing on tiptoe. After a period of time the plaster was taken off and my foot position moved a little to stretch the tendon, and plaster re-applied. A couple of weeks later this was repeated until eventually it was in a 'normal' position.
I don't recall any major issues after the plaster was removed - probably because the tendon had been given so long to heal and stretch. But there was significant muscle wastage. I remember endless attempts to stand on tiptoe and standing facing upstairs on the bottom step with just half of my foot on the step, my heels hanging over the edge, and trying to get onto tiptoe.
I suppose everyone is different and if the treatment / repair is done in a similar way nowadays, then it really depends on how many times the plaster has to come off and your foot re-positioned. A 'vacoped boot' sounds more efficient and comfortable - presumably easier to adjust as well. Hopefully it will be speedier for you. And once it is off, it is just physiotherapy.

Best of luck. I certainly wouldn't rule out skiing in March.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JasonW, yep i did mine on 22 august and skied the following mid march.

Get a good physio and do what they say, keep patient but also keep working hard. March 2014 def doable; maybe go easy on the gnarl tho.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My dad did his (aged 67) and was up and about in 6 months training as normal in the gym. You might not be able to put the hammer down quite as normal, but I'd be fairly sure you'll be skiing by March if you stick to the physio and do everything the docs tell you to do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Did mine a couple of years ago - operation in April and cycling holiday in September and skiing in December when the snow came. Key thing is once you get the OK for physio, do everything they tell you (and perhaps a bit more). I got the physio and the Doc talking with both knowing I wanted to be pushed. I think it makes a bit of a difference about what treatment you have - I has a plastic tendon put in and understand that if the knit the end of the tendon together you need to be a bit more careful but you don't lengthen the tendon - my two calf muscles are even now fairly different but don't notice it physically.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stiff ski boots, high heel raise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well after a lazy summer with my leg up I hope to get the boot removed on Tuesday!!! I have been walking gingerly on it for the past week so hopefully will get the all clear to attend physio from then on so I can get back to work in a fe weeks and earn so ski dollars!!!!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JasonW, done the same. Vacoped boot must have been horrid in the hot weather. Let the physio know what activities you want to get back to and do the exercises to the letter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well been today out of vacoped boot left leg looks lik a chickens leg but at least I'm on the right lad to skiing next march!!!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JasonW, whatCH2O, said. A friend did it and his tendon was a lot shorter for quite a while, took over two years to stretch it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did Mine a few years back in the summer and was skiing on it 6 months later no problem, plus I had mine fixed without an Op just immobilised in plaster which usually takes longer, had a good physio and did what he said and was playing 5 a side 6 months later too. Its twice the the thickness of the other one now but doesnt really cause any problems, although you always tend to be a bit careful on that side.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob, consultant said that it would be no good for sprinting, as conservative treatment in a vacoped boot meant that the tendon would probably be longer.
JasonW, I found an ice wrap thing for the ankle a great help with the swelling once weight bearing and out of the boot. Keep doing the physio.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sympathies to you Jason, I had a full rupture with weeks of resetting of plaster and quite a while finding my feet again.
The length of rehabilitation has everything to do with where you ruptured the tendon ie along the tendon or ripped it from the muscle and how much effort you put in with the little physio you can get (don't rely solely on the NHS) , I agree with alti dude listen to your physio, you will be his bitch for a while.
Bon courage fella.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did mine playing cricket in August 2011; went skiing with no problems whatsoever in March 2012. Six weeks in plaster - three lots of two weeks with the foot in different positions - and another eight weeks in an orthopaedic boot. Lots of physio did the trick. Still have loads of scar tissue. Be careful when removing your ski boot - apparently this is the time during skiing when the achilles is under most pressure!
snow conditions
Try DaleBoots for ease of getting boots on and off; much more flex than conventional boots.
latest report
i had a total rupture of the achilles end jul 1999 went skiing end of jan 2000 . had an op then plaster then in an air boot followed by physio ,6 months you should be back on the slopes by march .good luck
snow conditions
JasonW,
Six months should do it.
Don't shirk the physio though

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
You should be fine, I did mine with the approximate same timescale and was fine, bear in mind the ski boot will give a good amount of support....
BUT, your physio will know best!
Good luck Smile
snow conditions
JasonW, Did mine in a big way and they had to digging halfway up my calf for the lost end. 5 casts, an air boot, lots of progressive and self dedicated phisio and 9 months later I was back on my board. 6/7 years later I don't even think twice about it.
ski holidays
Back on the skis for the first time since the accident tomorrow, chill factor!!! Hopefully will be ok just will have to take it easy and see what happens.
J
snow conditions
Did mine in on back of Grands Montets 10 years ago- so ski boot does not protect!

But had to think of as " not a ski injury" as apparently would have happened running for bus or dancing if not then.

Happened in March, op in France, 3 pots from au equine to right angle, running by August, forgotten about by Xmas. No further problems as long as you keep stretching. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy