Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Easyjet baggage outrage

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.traveldailymedia.com/154809/new-hand-baggage-rules-from-easyjet

Neat work - introduce universal high charges for hold bags so everyone maxes out on carry-on then force that to be cut back. Technically I guess they don't seem to be charging to put in the hold at the door but cue lots of juggling as people take laptops, valuables out of carry on that is bumped.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They've already been doing this more informally. Nearly every full EJ flight I've been on has caused problems fitting all hand luggage in the lockers. A couple of times they've asked for volunteers to have their's stowed in the hold. EJ are far better than most on this IMO!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, if everyone stuck to the original size limit, and only carried one bag on board they probably wouldn't need to do this.

I flew yesterday and an immense bag had to be removed from passenger and stuck in hold. It was probably around 70l volume amd no way within size limits.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, and bags go in overhead bins with th elong axis perpendicular to the aircraft... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Every EJ flight I have been on in recent years they have been saying larger hand luggage bags 'must' be checked in (no charge) unless you kick up a fuss in which case they just do it to the next person, the other thing being done is bags smaller than xyz must be placed under the seat in front to allow more overhead space which is really irritating given economy seat spacing. When I see the hopeless games of irl tetris people play to get everyone's 'max allowed size for hand luggage' bags into the overhead lockers I often wonder just how full the hold is - most of the rush to get on the aircraft isn't seats in overhead space and not having your bag with expensive camera gear moved down the other end of the cabin.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I'm going skiing my hand luggage is my backpack and I put it under the seat. Not a lot of people seem to do this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just saw this on Watchdog (to my great shame I was home earlier than usual and didn't have anything better to do) and assumed they would be restricting ALL cabin bags (or charging). Claude B, Is right - they've been asking for volunteers to hand over cabin bags at the gate for a while.

Incidentally why does Anne Robinson appear to have someone else's teeth in her mouth?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B, clearly your backpack doesn't have skiboots in like mine wink

Yes it's been informal policy for a while hence the real driver for the scrum to get on. There will always be some tool that thinks they'll play it cool by getting on late then is surprised when there's no luggage space as well as the Euro aristo who thinks their cashmere coat merits a bin all on its own.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The last few times I have flown with Easyjet I have volunteered to put my bag in the hold at the gate. There's no charge and you get bumped up to 'speedy boarding'. Plus the bags loaded last at the gate are always the first off the other end. Personally I think the hand luggage dimensions should be much smaller, then there would be none of this faff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, No I always put them in my hold luggage with EJ. I've travelled a few times with hand luggage only, a small wheeled case, and that's a different matter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My carry-on fits in the cage but sometimes I look around me and wonder how people got as far as the aircraft with stuff that is clearly way oversized - and those people have always bought duty-free too. You very rarely see gate staff enforce the rules by using the cage either. And I hate to be the one to have to say it but it can be a gender issue (Women... know your place snowHead ). And Johnny Foreigner getting off inter-continental flights and catching a connecting - they haven't got the foggiest idea about the rules either. A British men-only business class low cost carrier is what we need. (Some, but not all, of that is in jest)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

A British men-only business class low cost carrier is what we need

I'd go with that Wink

ditto for queue at security. some serious frickin' numpties there. most being those that have already replied to an attendant ushering people to a scanner that they have no liquids, then are forced to up end a toiletries bag full of way more than will fit in a standard issue plastic bag rolling eyes . scuse me... but if you're gonna mess around like that, would you please let me jump the queue while you sort yourself out!!! Evil or Very Mad

Lufthansa economy the other day was a 'mare. Standard overhead lockers only take 2 standard sized wheely bags, plus a few sundry smaller items. That's for 3 seats. Never gonna work. I jumped the queue and boarded when they called rows 28+ when I was in row 14. All the rows around 14 were virtually full when I got there! Glad I fly business most of the time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh Yawn

So they have documented an already informal policy that doesnt involve any costs.

This is because people try to

bring on more then one bag
bring on a bag bigger then the dimensions
bring more stuff then they need for a weekend.

ever noticed that some routes are worse then others....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So applying the Swiller test - thread on minor change to airline rules is twice as noteworthy to sHs as a tornado wiping out a US suburb but not quite as noteworthy as South London nutter/terrorist attack.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, yep, all we need now is a feline fur ball issue and Cameron may as well not bother return for the Cobra meeting.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
You very rarely see gate staff enforce the rules by using the cage either.

Don't fly from Belfast. Everything that looks borderline gets dunked in the cage. 1cm too tall? Pay up and check it
snow report
It's an "outrage" that people with very big bags are asked to put them, without having to pay, into the hold instead of reaching over my head desperately trying to stuff them into a locker which is already half full? Laughing Some people are easily outraged.....
ski holidays
Obvious meme is obviously not quite so obvious as it thinks it obviously is.
snow report
pam w, +1

fatbob, obviously......or obviously not....I think
ski holidays
On a vaguely related note, I was flying EJ from LGW to GVA a week ago with my wife and two year old daughter and Easyjet had been very helpful in moving us free of charge to an earlier flight than was orginally booked as my Wife's father was very ill and so we needed to fly back sooner. They had also (without us asking) put us in the front row to save us time getting off, so full marks to EJ for all this.

However when we boarded, a miserable old french/swiss lady objected to my daughter sitting next to her as she 'hated children'. Unfortunately the seat next to her was the only one my daughter could sit in due to the exit seat policy for children. I was sat on the opposite side of the plane and offered to swap, but she refused, saying that she had paid for that particular seat and so insisted that all three of us moved instead. As the flight was full the poor steward couldn't do anything about it and kept apologising to us although it wasn't his fault at all.

Luckily after we had taken off, a couple from the row behind offered to swap, and everyone around very vocally made a point of saying how well behaved my daughter was and so on as no-one could believe the behaviour of the mad old bag sitting in seat 1F
ski holidays
Whitters,

That's when you buy your daughter a double espresso and promise her a puppy when you get home wink
latest report
Whitters, The miserable old bat sounds like a candidate for a nice hot cup if coffee dropped in the lap.
ski holidays
If you stick to the maximum legal size, then I don't see the problem. I'm not sure what the news content of that actually is - they're actually going to start enforcing their own rules?

In my book "hand baggage" means baggage you can carry, so I'd just ban wheels. If you can't carry it, then it's not "hand baggage".

In my experience the 'plane leaves and everyone on it goes at the same time. It's easier to get your stuff stowed if you're on early, but I'm not rude enough to try to "jump the queue" to achieve that, especially when they're boarding by seat number as it slows everyone else down. Even if the racks are full, the crew will stow your stuff for you. I think the same idiots who can't wait to get on the 'plane are the ones fighting to get off at the other end. Those are the people I'll walk past on the way to the terminal, assuming they don't block the way with their stupid wheely "hand baggage"...

---
Personally I've no issues sitting near children whose parents are civilized enough to teach their kids how to behave, or who drug them suitably pre-flight.
latest report
Couple of pointers Ive picked up so far. EJ were helpful in moving a flight forward FOC. Its in their terms of carriage that they do that FOC if there are seats available. Do it all the time flying back from Munich to Gatwick. Always book the last flight back and if I have time to get to the airport earlier, jump on the next flight. If there are seats available understandably
Secondly, EJ are only saying that if your hand luggage is at the lower size, they guarantee it will go on board. The larger size may be put in the hold. FOC again. I think they are being very reasonable here. I thought they`d cut the size of hand luggage across the board similar to Ryanair sizes. That's how the article on Watchdog came across. Then we would have reason to moan.
ski holidays
Arrived at Edinburgh airport Tuesday evening to find I had lost my boarding pass. Asked nicely at the counter and lady printed me new one free of charge. Can't fault. Wonder what that would have cost with Ryanair. Cool Cool
ski holidays
I think it's good that easyjet don't put a weight restriction on hand baggage. I have been on flights before (not ski flights) where they asked to weigh our hand luggage as there was a 5kg maximum.
snow report
Several airlines fairly regularly ask to put larger hand baggage in the hold (at point of boarding) for no extra cost. Most recently for me flying Lufthansa back from the UK. Really not a big deal at all...
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Several airlines fairly regularly ask to put larger hand baggage in the hold (at point of boarding) for no extra cost. Most recently for me flying Lufthansa back from the UK. Really not a big deal at all...

Mmm. Recently on another Easyjet out of Edinburgh (before the new allowance) they asked or volunteers to put bags in hold. I was feeling generous so I did, I then regretted the 30 minutes I spent in Luton airport waiting for my bag. Never again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, if you're travelling with only hand luggage, I agree it's a bit different. If you have to wait for hold baggage anyway though it doesn't matter too much.
snow conditions
narc, I am with you on this one. Why, just because I have a small carryon bag, must I put it where my feet should go. I hate anything around my feet. Must remember to take the biggest possible carryon bag to prevent this happening. And how about this, on a recent BA flight the woman in front of me put her bag under her seat where my feet are meant to go.

Personally I would be very happy for my bag to go in the hold, provided they let me take my book on board. It is not is as if there is anything else in it I would need for the flight.

How about this for an idea which would make flights much more comfortable: bags in the hold go free, but you have to pay for carryon luggage
ski holidays
Quote:

How about this for an idea which would make flights much more comfortable: bags in the hold go free, but you have to pay for carryon luggage

not a bad idea - hold baggage is such a pain for everybody else. I would charge per kilo for hold baggage, but at a lower rater than carry on baggage. I would also board strictly by seat numbers, starting at the back The first people on board go straight up an empty aisle to the back of the plane, get their baggage stowed. Instead of all standing round faffing in the aisle at the front of the plane, for ages, so that nobody can get past. rolling eyes When they announce after landing that everyone should stay seated till the seatbelt sign has been switched off, anybody getting up and faffing around before that moment to be forcible sat down again and made to wait till everyone else has got off.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

not a bad idea - hold baggage is such a pain for everybody else. I would charge per kilo for hold baggage, but at a lower rater than carry on baggage. I would also board strictly by seat numbers, starting at the back The first people on board go straight up an empty aisle to the back of the plane, get their baggage stowed. Instead of all standing round faffing in the aisle at the front of the plane, for ages, so that nobody can get past. rolling eyes When they announce after landing that everyone should stay seated till the seatbelt sign has been switched off, anybody getting up and faffing around before that moment to be forcible sat down again and made to wait till everyone else has got off.

Ticket price to include......say 10kg of luggage, either hold or hand. After that you pay a reasonable rate. When the flight lands we just wait until everyone else bugs off. If you have hold luggage you won't be leaving any sooner anyway. Somethimes we get everything into hand luggage. We just wait anyway....takes an extra 5 minutes.
snow report
Thinking about it again. Without carryon baggage the flight would load much quicker (no waiting while that passenger who wants to sit in seat 4a loads the massive bag which they cannot actually lift over their head into the locker) hence the flights will have a faster turn around and the tickets will be cheaper for everyone
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy