Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The £200 million snowdome planned for London - media reports

Poster: A snowHead
I can vouch for the quality of Acer-made snow from experience in Ski Dubai. Early morning you can sometimes hit low mounds of fresh near the snowblowers which have been working overnight and it really is powder. Of course skiers, boarders and piste bashers quickly compact it - but it is good stuff.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The Tokyo SkiDome had a really good pacy - and very wide - descent, but it failed commercially
Do we know why? Was it just too big to ever cover it's costs?

I did hear a tale that it was built at a time when young Japanese (who do tend to a herd mentality) were heavily into skiing - then the fad changed, something else became the 'must-do' thing and the slope became a virtually unused white elephant. Before becoming an IKEA. More 'herd mentality' in it's reincarnation, perhaps? Meatballs anyone. Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

This is what you can get if you 'large it'. The former Tokyo SSAWS dome, opened 1993
Dubaian, it was absolutely immense, but it was built by a Japanese property company (Mitsui Fudosan) and Japanese builders (Kajima, who usefully for me had a London office), lushing it in one of the greatest land value bubbles of history. London may currently be experiencing something similar. The investment was gigantic, but probably peanuts to Mitsui Fudosan.

Entering it was like going into a full-scale airport terminal. But, before the opening ceremony, I spent an hour just wandering around the monster and gazing up at its insane structure. Trying to comprehend the developer's mindset, it looked like a huge 'fuck you' trophy (in the most civilised and polite Japanese way). They probably knew it was a dubious enterprise, but the detail, services (top-class ski suit rental) and immaculate customer service aspiration were palpable.

Japanese skiing at that time (1993) was also in an extraordinary bubble. Hundreds of ski resorts across the south and north islands, ski magazines running to hundreds of colour pages, a whole street in Tokyo devoted to ski equipment/clothing retailing etc.

I reckon Westfield will take a harder and more objective business attitude and will want the London dome to guarantee a return.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Japanese skiing at that time (1993) was also in an extraordinary bubble
Which more or less fits with what I heard - vast flocks of 'sheep' following a trend.
And then the bubble burst.

Interesting similarity between the construction of that monster and Ski Dubai. Except Ski Dubai has a dog-leg half way down and is a bit more rounded with less 'industrial' looking support steelwork.

NB cars on roof in RH image - for indication of size/scale.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dubai structure just looks awesome. Also the design of slopes are way better as you cant see the finish line due to turns. Integrate into a nice shopping mall and hotel make it a nice resort for families unlike japanese ski dome.
I am sure many lessons learn and this place will have the latest and greatest.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kazsak, the interior is also pretty attractive - apart from the odd pylon for the 4 man chair, the slopes are unobstructed by columns and the walls and ceiling are sky blue. Basically it doesn't look like a converted warehouse

bottom section looking up slope (so-called 'black' on the left)

half of the top section - looking down. Until the chairlift's mid station, the slope is double this width.

Ski Dubai probably is the bench mark for new build indoor slopes. Will be hard to beat - - - except in length and height snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dubaian, Dubai is definitely the benchmark but with it being 7-8 years old, the Stratford will be better! I am sure lots of lessons learned. It is a long wait though. I would guess another 3 years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a basic design issue here as to whether a 'dog-leg' turn is built in (viz: the first UK public slope - Tamworth - and Ski Dubai) or whether skiers experience a straight fall-line for the full length of the slope.

This issue has also arisen with the design of most plastic ski slopes. One of the early major ones - Hillend, outside Edinburgh - had interesting turns, as did Sheffield Ski Village. However, from the perspective of learning/practising, a straight slope is probably best.

Any views on this? Hopefully the Westfield/Stratford architects will read them!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith, the story about the Dubai Dog Leg is that the developer's Senior Sheikh said - "In the Alps I cannot see the bottom of the Piste from the top - so I want it that way here." But true or not, a kinked run is a very good use of an available plot.

For learning, I'd say a nursery slope section which is wide, smooth, unobstructed and of gentle gradient is the optimum. Once on the main slope, even indoors, all users should be able to cope with a bend or two - they're not exactly hairpins. And surely the reason for learning/practising is to go out into the real world - in which bends and bumps prevail.

A straight slope can also encourage 'bombing it'. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 29-07-13 11:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mistress Panda wrote:
I reckon there must be mileage in a slope that runs off the top of Beachy Head, and goes all the way down like a helter skelter until you ultimately come out at the bottom in the sea, where you will be recovered by a speedboat and driven round to a convenient recovery point. Or perhaps just having a lift from the floating pontoon at the bottom. It would also mean much easier access for the emergency services when they need to pick people off the rocks at the bottom. That must be £10K a year saved, which is probably more profit than they'll make out of skiiers.

Interesting, the BBC have picked up on this and seem to be backing my cliff idea if the money is there. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23375319
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting that it's taken the Mail four days - four days - to catch up with this news and report exactly what other media were reporting that long ago. Nothing added [the by-line, strangely, is 'TravelMail Reporter'], but a few big stock shots of 'Olympic legacy' ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2380909/A-cool-Olympic-legacy-Giant-indoor-ski-centre-East-London-biggest-UK.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is definitely a good news. Let's just hope environmental groups will not voice their concerns here Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dubai does look nice, much better than the 3 I've been to in the UK. Dog leg? Why not go the whole hog and have the slope come back on itself somehow? Lift to the top!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Believe it or not there are proposals which don't even need a lift to get back to the top - http://www.skitrac.com/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okanagan wrote:
Believe it or not there are proposals which don't even need a lift to get back to the top - http://www.skitrac.com/

from the site

"Using new "Mag-lev" technology, the snow deck, with its 200 mm (8 in) snow cover will "float" on an electro-magnetic field without the need for wheels, thus ensuring frictionless, vibrationless, silent, and maintenance-free rotation. Drive power will be supplied by linear motor."

My race skis have a fair amount of steel in them; could get some interesting results with mag-lev!
snow conditions
scooby_simon wrote:
Okanagan wrote:

from the site

"Using new "Mag-lev" technology, the snow deck, with its 200 mm (8 in) snow cover will "float" on an electro-magnetic field without the need for wheels, thus ensuring frictionless, vibrationless, silent, and maintenance-free rotation. Drive power will be supplied by linear motor."

My race skis have a fair amount of steel in them; could get some interesting results with mag-lev!

Very Happy the equivalent of walking on water...........
ski holidays
Hilarious garbling of the Mail story [see link 6 postings above this one] by a site called "LastMinuteTravelDeals247" ...

http://www.lastminutetraveldeals247.com/a-cool-olympic-legacy-giant-indoor-ski-centre-in-east-london-will-be-biggest-in-uk/

Quote:
The proclamation that Stratford is to get a possess indoor ski slope will come as acquire news to Londoners looking for novel ways to cool off in a heatwave. But a due growth during a Westfield selling centre in easterly London – that could cost adult to £200 million – won’t open to a open until 2015.

Quote:
Westfield Stratford City will contention a formulation focus to a London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) by a finish of a summer for a convenience captivate to be built on land subsequent to a selling centre.

Quote:
Meanwhile, a Mayor told a Evening Standard that Eurostar was “missing a trick” by refusing to stop during Stratford International station.
The hire was used to run a high-speed sight use between a Olympic Stadium and London St Pancras. But Eurostar pronounced it had no skeleton to supplement a hire to a track as interlude ... [etc. etc.]

Can anyone work out what happened there?
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, The DM has been posessed by the spirit of a Nigerian 419 scammer! Do they finish the article by asking for $2,495 to be wired to a western union account to help complete the Stratford Snowhouse and and offering to return with $4.7million and gods sweet blessings?
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, it's a SEO doorway with automatically generated text saturated with keywords. Remove the link please, don't help them earn the pagerank
snow conditions
Maybe it will be in the Olympic Stadium itself....Wembley Stadium being the precedent:

latest report
Whitters, seriously cool photos!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy