Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suunto/ other sports watch - Advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm about to take the plunge and buy myself a sports watch, been thinking about it for a while. I can't wear my aluminium strap Tag anymore since I broke my wrist a few years ago, the strap/ clasp irritates my scar where I had surgery to plate it, so need a rubber strap and the following features preferably, any recommendations?:-

Stop watch function (running/ biking)
Heart rate/ chest strap (not totally necessary but a nice to have
Waterproof (not bothered about deep water just sea/ pool/ shower etc)
Watch - obviously!
Altimeter
Watch face not too huge
3G and mapping (nice to have, but can use my iPhone)
Compass
Black with rubber sturdy strap

Baffled by Suunto models, any other recommendations?

I'm sure there's SH's out there who are owners and may be able to recommend?

Cheers all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29, hubby has a Suunto Vector which isn't too huge, but no mapping or heart rate functions I don't think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
forget the watch and get a pair of these :- http://jet.reconinstruments.com/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More functional than jewelery but check out Garmin Fenix, Foretrex and Forerunner

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/outdoor/wrist-worn/cOnTheTrail-cWristworn-p1.html
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/running/cIntoSports-cRunning-p1.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chum has one of these http://www.suunto.com/en-GB/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-Ambit2/Suunto-Ambit2-Sapphire-HR/?categoryId=3 and likes a lot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get a MASSIVE cup of tea and head over to this site...now he is a Tri person but does fantastic reviews off most (all?) GPS and training watches...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having dealt with Suunto when I had a problem on a very old product (out of warranty etc) and their staff personally, I would look at their products first when looking for something like this. Great service and they repeatedly go above and beyond to solve problems even at significant cost to themselves when it was not expected or required.

Give them a call or send an e-mail if you need a hand with choosing their products that suit you, they are a good bunch.

My only advice would be that if you want something to swim in, get 200m rated waterproof, 100m means splashproof, and less than 100m means don't get it within 100m of water Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for feedback from you all so far......keep it coming. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I disagree with the above. I recently sent my vector back for the second time as the pins on the strap failed and the bezel and attachments had snapped off and this time they wanted £90 to repair it. I feel two serious failures in a year is poor when you can get a F91W Casio that will last for years for a tenner. Also I find the interface on both the vector and a core that I have had quite difficult to use.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smokeyjack2000 wrote:
I feel two serious failures in a year is poor when you can get a F91W Casio that will last for years for a tenner.

Wearing the Casio can also get you a free trip to Cuba.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
smokeyjack2000 wrote:
I feel two serious failures in a year is poor when you can get a F91W Casio that will last for years for a tenner.

Wearing the Casio can also get you a free trip to Cuba.

for those not in the know... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13194733
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, I have a suunto observer. I've had it about ten years. I have had to replace the strap a couple of times but other than that it's been fine. As to the usefulness of the watch I guess it depends what sir wants the watch for. The observer is reasonably small and passes for an ordinary watch which I like.

The altimeter function works we, is simple to calibrate and also has a rate of climb read out which I find interesting if not practical. It can be handy navigating to know your altitude. It can also be handy to check any dramatic change in pressure overnight which can indicate a change in the weather.

The compass is reasonably accurate but no substitute for a real one, is complicated to calibrate and needs calibrating often.

The alarm is too quiet to wake me up.

I don't use the barometer.

The standard rubber strap is comfortable and secure, but can get sweaty/smelly, and as i said above has "worn out" quite quickly.

I would question the wisdom of buying a sports watch now, my iPhone does everything and a lot lot more than the watch can. I probably would not replace it if I lost it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob

You say you don't use the barometer but you say, "It can also be handy to check any dramatic change in pressure overnight which can indicate a change in the weather." Surely that's the function of the barometer? The barometer calculates your altitude so I'd say you use it a fair bit!

I agree about Suunto alarms, next to useless.

I have an oldish Suunto with heart rate monitor function as well as an altimeter. Neither of these things can be done by a smartphone so I certainly will replace it if/should it die.

Markymark29, What do you actually want to do with it? Listing the features is helpful but do you want the HR for training (i'm assuming yes), altimeter for navigating or just for fun etc?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
galpinos wrote:
jbob
The barometer calculates your altitude so I'd say you use it a fair bit!

Gosh, I didn't know that. rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got a suunto core as a Christmas Prezzie a few years ago.

It looks nice and is more comfortable to wear than a metal watch. To be honest I hardly use the functions while skiing.

The sunrise/sunset feature can be interesting, but when out and about I can guess the last few of hours of sunlight left anyway. The storm alarm seems to think it needs to go off evey now and again to prove it's turned on, but doesn't usually lead to any snowfall. Altitude is interesting, but needs calibrating a fair bit if you were going to rely on it. I've never tested the compass, but I usually have one on me somewhere anyway, so that's only a backup.

Oh, and don't waterski with it as it isn't waterproof. Embarassed

I like the look of it though and tend to wear it on most holidays.
snow conditions
I've used altitude when off piste, to make sure I don't ski below the level of the last lift you need to get back up to! As long as you know what the watch reads at the base of the lift, it doesn't matter if it's calibrated or not, just don't go below that level Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I can't wear my aluminium strap Tag anymore since I broke my wrist a few years ago, the strap/ clasp irritates my scar where I had surgery to plate it, so need a

just a thought, but can you not wear the watch on the other wrist (assumption made that you have another wrist to wear it on) it should only take a few days to get used to the feel of it on a different side I would have thought.
snow report
I've got two Suunto watches: a Core and an Ambit. The Core doesn't have a lot of the features that you specify, however the Ambit does almost everything you ask other than mapping. It does however have GPS, give you a position (either as a UK GR or as long lat) will show you where you went afterwards when you plug into your computer. You can program in waypoints and routes etc. Its an excellent piece of kit and has a battery thats rechargeable via UBS.

The Suunto Core eats standard CR2032 batteries as the altimeter and compass are really thirsty. They typically last me 6 months.

Echo the Suunto alarm comments, however its not a problem for me as my body clock adjusts very well to my needed wakening time.

I've had a Garmin Forerunner: battery life is rubbish when GPS is turned on, not waterproof (although some of the more recent triathlon models are), however if you are wanting to set up proper training sessions eg intervals, threshold sessions etc the Garmin devices are currently better at the moment than Suunto.

If you want to buy a Suunto, the chaps at http://www.facewest.co.uk/ are usually really, really competitive. I don't work there, although they are mates! Great for lots of offpiste / touring kit too!
latest report
Bought myself a Suunto Core from Go Outdoors £168 including a 10% price match discount, very pleased! Have an old Polar heart monitor watch thingy with chest strap that'll do me nicely, couldn't see the point in splashing big money for one that does it all. Happy chappy. Thanks for all the feedback all. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I'd echo abd, I have a Suunto Core (pure alu white) and an Ambit (mk 1). The Ambit can be bought with or without HR strap, has a good battery life for a rechargeable and does pretty much everything you mention in the OP, barring 3G (do you really expect to find a 3G connected 'sports' watch?).

The core is a simpler affair with an interface that is fairly common on Suunto watches - I'd suggest that for snowsports the Ambit is more fun e.g. speed, how far have I gone today etc.

Most Suunto's are not what you'd describe as 'small', but I have skinny wrists and I use 'em anyway. Note that if you're not used to wearing a watch while skiing, consider the additional bulk of these devices, especially if you wear gloves with a cuff (watch might not fit under).

I have been through Garmin watches too - 410 and 610, hated them.
snow report
I have a Suunto Vector. Very nice but no heart rate monitor, compass and the back light can be fiddly to operate. My mate has a Tissot Touch which looks nicer than th eSuunto and ha similar functions.
ski holidays
My husband has a Suunto M9 marine watch and loves it. They are chunky, but they do the techy stuff very well and their service is superb.
snow report
I use a middle range Polar and am very happy with it. Some of the top end stuff has all the bells and whistles you are looking for! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Loving my Core, have had it now 5-6 weeks and liking its functions, not needing 3G happy I go it just right I reckon. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I'll use this thread instead of staring a new one : Can anybody reccomend a HR watch that has good, easy to use pre-set training programs? I need to get back in shape, and while I used to run and know a bit about training, I find it hard to do stuff like interval training (mainly cause I like to just run). Not bothered about looks, but I would like to keep costs down (i/e/ not pay for redundant useless features)
snow conditions
sugardaddy, read http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
ski holidays
kitenski, thanks. looks like no work will be done today!
ski holidays
sugardaddy, Smile

It's a great site though!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a couple of Suunto diving computers, but I'd stick to Garmin for "sports" watches.

The Forerunner 205 is the most reliable GPS device I've ever used, mine is still going strong after ~8 years. For skiing it's a bit bulky though, so I'd consider a 405.

@Sugardaddy the garmin range of Forerunner watches sounds exactly like what you're after.
snow report
kitenski, thanks. looks like no work will be done today!
snow report
FYI I made the plunge on a Suunto Ambit 3 after lots of debating and it's brilliant.
snow conditions
@macgyver, Thinking of upgrading my Core to Ambit 3, out of interest did you go for the HR version? Do you know if it is compatible with say Garmin HR strap or do you need the Suunto one?
snow report
@Markymark29, this should tell you everything Smile Read down the bottom of the review as it appears connectivity with sensors isn't it's strong point!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/ambit3-multisport-review.html

Note it won't work with Garmn HR, best get the Fenix3 which will and has a ski mode Smile

Quote:
It swapped out ANT+ sensor support for Bluetooth Smart sensor support. This meant that it no longer connects to ANT+ sensors for things like heart rate straps, running,cycling speed/cadence sensors, and power meters.

Finally, we look at sensor support. In my opinion this is where the watch suffers dearly. The support of 3rd party Bluetooth Smart sensors is painful to say the least. This might not have been such a huge issue had Suunto had their own sensors such as cycling speed/cadence, power meters, and the like. But given the lack of anything other than a heart rate strap their dependence on making these sensors work is critical for most triathletes.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 7-12-15 14:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@macgyver, Thinking of upgrading my Core to Ambit 3, out of interest did you go for the HR version? Do you know if it is compatible with say Garmin HR strap or do you need the Suunto one?

No it isn't, you need the Ambit3 one unfortunately, they moved to Bluetooth.

It's a big drawback, but for me it was a case of Ambit3 vs Fenix 3, and at the time it won hands down despite this. Plus with Garmin firmwares getting worse and worse, and the goddawful redesign of Garmin Connect it was the death knell for Garmin watches for me.

Still have a garmin cycling computer (Edge 500) because there's nothing else that comes close, I've just steered clear of Garmin Connect and refuse to upgrade, as it's when they started adding bluetooth/wireless features that they really started going down hill.

Worst thing by far though is no vibrating alerts. That was almost a deal breaker for me but I've come to terms with it now.
ski holidays
@kitenski, @macgyver, Cheers for feedback. Looks like 2 differing views then if I'm understanding your comments, i'll have to do some more bedtime reading! I've got Garmin 800 cycle computer and really like features on the Suunto.....
latest report
@macgyver, Fenix 3 is rock solid for me, they've done a good job with it's firmware, it has been getting better and better, not worse.

Much better than the Edge range IMHO.

Garmin connect has also had a massive refresh both mobile and web versions.
ski holidays
@kitenski, You got a Fenix3?
snow conditions
I've the Polar v800 watch and a Garmin 810, both quality!
latest report
I have a Suunto Core, but the altimeter function is fairly inaccurate, and will drift as the air pressure changes due to the weather, not just due to altitude. I can reset the watch to the known altitude of my house, go out for a couple of hours, and when I get back it will rarely be within +/-50m of the starting point.

I almost had a Garmin Fenix 3. I found one for a bargain price, but unfortunately someone in the couriers supply chain also fancied it, as all I got was the empty box. It took a month to get my money back, by which time it had gone up by £40.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@kitenski, You got a Fenix3?

Yes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy