Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting early grip

Poster: A snowHead
I've read a lot about getting grip early in the turn and the progression up the BASI levels requires the trainee to demonstrate grip earlier and earlier in the turn.

I've been thinking about this and trying to rationalise with the mental images I have; in particular what I believe is excellent technique as demonstrated by Jaz Lamb of BASS in this video:

http://youtube.com/v/QMJi6slZ-0I

This video is quite useful as it gives a close up of the skis and from what I can make out the combination of his counter and blocking (in Ron LeMaster speak) pole plant is resulting in the unwinding of the torque accumulated in his trunk / core such that Jaz is getting "grip" on or shortly after the fall line.

So my questions are:

1) am I missing something?
2) is early grip more relevant for long rather than short radius turns?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always think of early grip as occurring before the fall line, even at the top of the turn. If so, then I do not think it is possible with the 'crossunder' type of turns in this vid, but is possible in short turns, particularly working across the fall line.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found the best way to gain early grip and not after the fall line, was to imagine myself in a corridor and imagine spraying the corridor wall with snow then allowing the skis to bounce off the imaginary corridor wall and repeat the other side. All put together with a firm pole plant....worked for me.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have to be careful to distinguish between pivoted short turns (like in the video above) and carved short turns (like in this one
http://youtube.com/v/JuZJim10RXA ).
With carved short turns it is necessary to establish early grip (and pressure) well above the fall-line. When pivoting, on or after the fall-line is sufficient.
I am not saying either turn type is "better" or more desirable - depends on your sidecut and the turn radius - or course set.
In fact, since that 2010 Hirscher footage was shot, WC SL gate distances have tended to come down, so more pivoting is now necessary again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abd, if your trying to understand it in BASI terms, watch the BASI levels posted onto youtube....

and WTF is a blocking pole plant Puzzled Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abd, I don't think that releasing the torque is contributing much to the setup phase of Jaz's turns. He's mainly steering the first part of his turn by actively rotating the skis with his feet. He then balances against his skis around the fall line, getting plenty of grip through until he releases his edges for the next transition.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:

A vital part of French/Italian lift queue etiquette.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, Laughing Laughing

(altho etiquette is much better in Italy)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell wrote:
You have to be careful to distinguish between pivoted short turns (like in the video above) and carved short turns (like in this one
http://youtube.com/v/JuZJim10RXA ).
With carved short turns it is necessary to establish early grip (and pressure) well above the fall-line. When pivoting, on or after the fall-line is sufficient.
I am not saying either turn type is "better" or more desirable - depends on your sidecut and the turn radius - or course set.
In fact, since that 2010 Hirscher footage was shot, WC SL gate distances have tended to come down, so more pivoting is now necessary again.

Which is a problem when it comes to moving up the ranks of International Instructor Qualifications.
I know pivoting is encouraged more rather than just angulation and relying on the skis radius and bend to turn.
When doing my qualifications I've been told to steer and pivot more rather than just rely on the latter...which for me makes more sense... it's a nightmare tbh.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I dont think pivoting is "encouraged more" but may be necessary depending what size of turn you are making. Impossible to cleanly carve a long arc short radius turn in a narrow corridor so some active steering is needed. The pivot entry highlighted in the video is more a tactical racing move to not dump speed by skidding in the belly of the turn and shows a high degree of skill so does creep into BASI instructor training at the higher levels. Cloudburst and horseshoe turns are fun (and very scary) at speed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cloudbursts I could find http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1386474
but not Horseshoes - though I guess the name implies the shape
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
they may actually be called horse twists... no idea why.. similar to cloudbursts but a more entry level. In a fast traverse flatten and twist the feet so that you power slide across the hill on a flat ski. then try it at speed in traverse again but pointing skis downhill and then back to direction of travel and repeat. do a few of these twisting movements faster and faster and then have a go at cloudbursts which are a similar movement but during a carved turn.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
kitenski
and WTF is a blocking pole plant

I don't have my copy of Ron LeMaster's Ultimate Skiing to hand, though this article (http://www.youcanski.com/en/coaching/pole_plant.htm) makes reference to it in the context of what not to do in modern race technique.

From what I recall, its essentially blocking the upper body and giving a platform around which the counter (torque thats built up in the trunk & upper body) can unwind resulting in the legs pivoting towards and then across the fall line.
latest report
abd wrote:
Quote:
kitenski
and WTF is a blocking pole plant

I don't have my copy of Ron LeMaster's Ultimate Skiing to hand, though this article (http://www.youcanski.com/en/coaching/pole_plant.htm) makes reference to it in the context of what not to do in modern race technique.

From what I recall, its essentially blocking the upper body and giving a platform around which the counter (torque thats built up in the trunk & upper body) can unwind resulting in the legs pivoting towards and then across the fall line.

Any chance of a translation into English Wink

I think you are massively over complicating it and if not careful you'll get bogged down in technical and confusing terminology. Your also reading very complex racing terminology/website links

The link you mention above says "Modern racing technique, however, is all about striving for linked clean arcs. For this, neither a pronounced countered position, nor blocking pole plants are needed"

So what is it you are trying to achieve/improve on?

Do you have any video of you skiing?

What has an instructor recently said in relation to question 1? ie what should you work on??

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-07-13 12:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I barely know what I'm talking about; there are many on here that know far, far, far more than I!

I would say, yes to steeps, and also probably to moguls.
ski holidays
abd, sorry, edited my reply, and asked some questions......about what your trying to achieve?
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
I dont think pivoting is "encouraged more" but may be necessary depending what size of turn you are making. Impossible to cleanly carve a long arc short radius turn in a narrow corridor so some active steering is needed. The pivot entry highlighted in the video is more a tactical racing move to not dump speed by skidding in the belly of the turn and shows a high degree of skill so does creep into BASI instructor training at the higher levels. Cloudburst and horseshoe turns are fun (and very scary) at speed Toofy Grin

I've definitely been encouraged more. I've been told they are actually looking at you to actively 'steer' the skis, rather than using the ski's radius shape, angulation and pressure control.

Obviously the latter is used more in Racing as you wish to increase and maintain speed.

When I did my Eurotest training last week I was told to stop skiing like a Ski Instructor and rely more on angulation and pressure than 'Steering' as it loses speed. Laughing

Obviously as you said though...pivoting and steering needs to come in at any point depending on what's in front of you and to maintain control.

However...when it comes to 'Qualifications' I've been told Conductors are looking for pivoting and steering with the lower body.

Perhaps others are having different messages. I suppose it's all down to what Organisation you are with.
snow conditions
spud, again comes down to what you are trying to do. In your GS course on >21 M rad boards you want to use the sidecut and pressure the ski as that what the turn shape dictates. No need for rotation unless your late, there is a bananna gate etc.. Take the same ski in an SL course and you will need to pivot it. Your coach (emma or mikey?) is right in a race course situation but I doubt that during long radius turns in an exam situation they are looking for rotation to make the ski turn. Think context of what is being asked of you during your instructor training. Who is your training body and at what level are you referring to out of interest?
snow report
spud wrote:

Which is a problem when it comes to moving up the ranks of International Instructor Qualifications.
I know pivoting is encouraged more rather than just angulation and relying on the skis radius and bend to turn.
When doing my qualifications I've been told to steer and pivot more rather than just rely on the latter...which for me makes more sense... it's a nightmare tbh.

yes, these

BASI L4 Short Turns

look much more pivoty to me than these:

PSIA Performance Short Turns

It would be interesting to know if the BASI run as shown would meet the PSIA standard and vice versa. Note this isn't a 'would a BASI 4 be good enough to pass the PSIA 3' flame bait question Very Happy. I assume either would have the skills to modify their skiing as required. It could just be as simple as BASI don't allow slalom skis on the exam!
ski holidays
The corridor's much wider on the PSIA video which reflects the difference between their largely carved short turns and the largely pivoted BASI turns. The cynic in me says it also reflects the difference between a realistic technique for skiing on nice grippy North American snow and a suitable technique for crappy European hardpack Very Happy
snow report
Raceplate, The BASI video states that the corridor can be up to 4m, the demo in it and in the BASS video at the start of the thread look a lot less than that to me.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Raceplate, The BASI video states that the corridor can be up to 4m, the demo in it and in the BASS video at the start of the thread look a lot less than that to me.

That was my point wasn't it? The BASI corridor is clearly narrower than the PSIA one and reflects a suitable technique for that width?
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
rjs wrote:

That was my point wasn't it? The BASI corridor is clearly narrower than the PSIA one and reflects a suitable technique for that width?

The stated requirements are basically the same for both BASI and PSIA though.
snow report
rjs wrote:
The stated requirements are basically the same for both BASI and PSIA though.
They might be but if these are the official videos of the required standards they convey completely different techniques. The PSIA guy in black from about 1.40 onwards looks like he's skiing about a 6m corridor in short, mostly carved turns. Completely different to the BASI guy doing his short pivoted turns in about a 3m corridor.
ski holidays
Surely more 'grip' equals more edge angle, thus a very pivoted turn is unlikely to have much grip above the fall line. PSIA turns definitely looking better than BASI there!
snow report
Some really good stuff here youtube.com/v/7rtzwqDeSGg

Doesnt include BASI but lots of other nations. Swiss are great, freedom in their movements.

PSG
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swiss look quite loose n relaxed. Thought the canucks looked the best.
These things depend so much on who the skier happens to be. They should showcase a bunch of recent L2s n L3s to really see their 'system' at work at the grassroots.
snow report
ALQ wrote:
These things depend so much on who the skier happens to be. They should showcase a bunch of recent L2s n L3s to really see their 'system' at work at the grassroots.

Interesting you should say that... word on the street is that the CSIA are looking to demonstrate each level of skiing using L1's, L2's, L3's and L4's depending on what level is being shown.

In other words you won't get an L4 demonstrating L2 standards... only an L2 showing what the standard is...etc.

Not being bias...but I also prefer the Canucks way. Love the Swiss as well...although they are all about getting the hip on the floor it seems. BASI for me just looks to rigid... each to their own of course.
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:

Exactly, though I think some systems have more of a defined 'look' compared to others, the few swiss guys I work with all have those loose hands and mad inclination, whilst the americans are more of a mix of styles. Talking to one of my friends who was at Interski, he reckoned JF Beaulieu (Canada) was one of the real stand out skiers, so that's a strong reason why the Canadians look better, it's not like they all ski like him!
ski holidays
spud wrote:
Love the Swiss as well...although they are all about getting the hip on the floor it seems.

That's what everyone should be about! Wink
ski holidays
spud wrote:

Interesting you should say that... word on the street is that the CSIA are looking to demonstrate each level of skiing using L1's, L2's, L3's and L4's depending on what level is being shown.

These?

Real people passing CSIA 1&2

Real people passing CSIA 3
snow report
jimmer wrote:
spud wrote:
Love the Swiss as well...although they are all about getting the hip on the floor it seems.

That's what everyone should be about! Wink

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
A bit late to this thread, but may I ask a stupid question that I could probably answer for myself if I thought about it ?

When posters here refer to getting grip 'before the fall line', what precisely are they referring to ? I ask because the number of fall lines is infinite. Put it another way, there will always be a fall line directly beneath the skiers feet.

Sometimes an exercise may be determined by a particular defined fall line, possibly down the middle of a corridor.

Are such phrases as 'above the fall line' and 'after the fall line' referring to the moment when the tangent of the ski is parallel with the fall line which may be drawn between the skier's feet ?

Anyway, the answer is 'posture', if that doesn't work, it's 'timing'.
snow conditions
thirty06, the only definition of fall line that I've ever heard is the moment during the turn at which the skis point directly down the slope. Typically this would be about half way around the turn, or as you describe, the moment at which the tangent of the skis is parallel to the slope's fall line.
ski holidays
Isn't it the line you take when you end up on your butt?
snow report
Put a ball on the hill, let it go. Ignoring wind, and things it hits on the way down, and so on, the fall line is the route it follows to the bottom. Put another way it's what most people would call "straight down the hill".

A slightly sad illustration of fall line I saw once was a snowboard that had escaped its owner and was careering off down the mountain by itself (out of bounds, away from any pistes) already a good mile away and still picking up speed.
latest report
thirty06 wrote:
A bit late to this thread, but may I ask a stupid question that I could probably answer for myself if I thought about it ?

When posters here refer to getting grip 'before the fall line', what precisely are they referring to ? I ask because the number of fall lines is infinite. Put it another way, there will always be a fall line directly beneath the skiers feet.

Sometimes an exercise may be determined by a particular defined fall line, possibly down the middle of a corridor.

Are such phrases as 'above the fall line' and 'after the fall line' referring to the moment when the tangent of the ski is parallel with the fall line which may be drawn between the skier's feet ?

Anyway, the answer is 'posture', if that doesn't work, it's 'timing'.

The fall line is skis pointing down the hill, simple.

The answer is not 'posture' or 'timing', these are very important, but it's possible to make a skidded short turn with a flat ski, with perfect timing and posture, and still not find any grip until the end of the turn. Grip equals edge angle, get edge angle early in the turn, you have early grip.
snow conditions
Big issue is that gripping before the fall line locks you into the turn radius defined by your angle/speed/ski and whatever else.... sometimes this just isn't short enough.... enter "turning-the-ski"/"drift-and-lock" whatever you want to call it.

Best solution i have found is get your skis to the prefered angle after the cross over/under and then jam the shovel of your ski into the snow, get them nice and bent before the grippy waist engages and you're locked into your carve... little unpredictable at first but shortens the turn lots
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy