Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me some bindings (please)

Poster: A snowHead
Just ordered myself a Jones Flagship 2013, aren't summer sales wonderful, thank you Edge and Wax.
Now I'm looking at bindings. Currently use Salomon Codes but often feel things are a little sloppy in terms of transmitting power to the board. Scott gave his recommendation but I was wondering what others might think.
I tend to ride fairly aggressively and reasonably fast where possible, head for side piste fun and bumps, trees, moguls, off piste. Basically I'm the old man trying to be a teenager but avoiding the park where I'd be shown up for the loser that I am Smile
Any suggestions for bindings gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at the Union Atlas, light strong but enough flex to put a smirk on your face when you want. Forces maybe if you want to save a bit of cash or want a bit more flex.
If you want to stay Salomon, have a look at the Districts maybe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, no particular attachment to Salomon but will check out your ideas
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I kinda do the same thing as you (sans moguls) and those Unions are what I looked at last year when doing my seasonal fantasy shop. What did shop-guy recommend?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Union Asadachi 5, they don't seem to have the Atlas. Both read well, need to give it a bit of thought and see if anyone else comes up with some ideas too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
*quick google* Wow.
If they're offering the SL at £149, thats a top end binding at an entry level price, Buy them and I think you'll be very happy bunny.
1 left in stock, get in there before I do - all this talk of new kit is making me frisky.

Lock that kit up good'n'tight, thats a very desirable setup you're running there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robapplegate wrote:
....... no particular attachment to Salomon...........

I thought that was the idea behind bindings though?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, Laughing oh dear Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, Are you sure you don't work for Scotty Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I do, I don't work very hard - Look at the amount of time I spend on the bloody forum! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways, Done!!! £134.10 when you include the10% wednesday discount.
Roll on boxing day Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, i'll get them in the post tonight, and your credit card details to a Russian gangster by morning...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, Laughing Thanks for your help Cool
This thread is now redundant as the deed is done Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would wait too try the binding highback torsional flex on that firm board before being convinced 100% but the price is certainly a great start .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's arrived and it's lovely Cool
I want some snow snowHead
latest report
I've got some union Force MC's - really light carbon fibre with titanium hardware, picked them up silly cheap off the internet, otherwise wouldn't have bothered with bindings that flash.

The hardware on them has been a nightmare, snapped a bolt holding the ankle strap in for the fifth time today. Having had to ride down to the truck strapless on a couple of occasions, I carry spares now.

Great bindings but I'm over bits breaking, so will replace all of the bolts etc with steel hardware now.
snow conditions
hang11, Well I won't know until New Year! Friends with other makes of bindings have had bits break too, it seems to be a bit of an occupational hazard. I know I for one rack things up good and tight, putting stress on any part. I have the same problem with with all sorts of tools e.g. garden and workshop, things just don't seem to made strong enough.
The description does claim to have used stronger than normal (!) steel.
latest report
These are my third set of unions, normally bomb proof, but the ones I have now use titanium bolts, so if you have steel ones, they should be fine.
snow report
I've got some bog standard Forces. Nothing has broken, but i have noticed the heel cups slide out, even when the screws are done up pretty tight. I think I might try and get a couple of small bits of ally and grind them down to fill the adjustment slot so the screw can't slide (i know what I mean, it's hard to describe). Other than that nice solid wee bindings.
latest report
Union is the word around these parts.
snow report
Cheers folks I'm feeling reassured Very Happy
snow conditions
robapplegate, If I were you, I'd return them to Bliss... then I can buy them, and at a bigger discount as they've been opened Toofy Grin
snow report
Richard_Sideways, he who hesitates loses Laughing
I'll let you know what they're like once I've tried them.
snow conditions
robapplegate, I'd like you to know that because of you, i'm now mooching about looking for a deal on last seasons Bataleon Jam and some Union Atlas... and the only thing stopping me clicking 'Buy' is that I can only find a really good deal on a 156 and I'm not entirely convinced it's long enough for me.
snow report
Richard_Sideways, How tall are you?
latest report
5'10" and about 82-84kg (13st plus a pie/pint), slap-band in the 159 territory. On an old Burton Triumph 160 mid-wide at the moment. Don't need the mid-wide so much these days, only size 8 uk. Went for a MW option at the time for the extra float as I was about a stone and a half heavier back when I got it.
ski holidays
I'm no expert but 156 does sound a little short, especially as you're used to riding something longer.
ski holidays
*groan*
Have priced up the board and bindings, comes in at just under £400. Now we wait to see how long I can wait before I cave in and buy it... Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got a sales email from Sputnik and they have the wood flavoured Union SL for a similar price online .

Hang11, are those MC,s a much firmer flex or response in practice than std forces or just a tiny bit firmer .
snow conditions
snow188 wrote:
I bought my first board and bindings from the London Ski & Snowboard show, it's full of temporary hired staff with no clue and negligible deals on this season and discounts on last season equipment.

FIFY and thanks for the oh so subtle spam.
ski holidays
Well, I didn't use them at New Year, not enough snow so stuck to the old Mayhem and trashed the base.
However am just back from a half term week in the Zillertal Very Happy
What can I say, BEAST.
First two days saw me spat off like a newbie. Talk about stiff (the board, not me), the slightest twitch or mistake was transmitted straight to the board and led to wipe out. No more lazy technique for me.
Day three saw me starting to assert control and by day four I was starting to get the upper hand. Never had to use the brake pedal so much before, such a fast board it just runs away if you let it, wow.
Lovely in the powder, long nose just rides up and easy, linked turns off piste came so much easier and I even got some air in the park (not it's natural territory).
Can't wait for next year so might have to get up to Scotland if there's any snow left at Easter.
Hmmmmmm, wonder if I can justify new boots now Laughing
snow conditions
robapplegate, glad you like it. Very Happy I've had my Flagship for two years now and wouldn't want anything else. (Although I liked it so much I felt I had to buy a Solution splitboard to complement it). I've put a pair of Union MCs on it this year (only cos I got 'em super cheap), which to fail to answer Tirol 164's six month old question are "nicely firm" without being ridiculous and in my view a perfect companion to the board (I haven't broken them yet...), but I don't know how they compare to SLs.
snow report
Custard the Rabbit, Ah, the Solution splitboard, another dream of mine Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy