Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bombproof Ski Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new outer shell, but my stuff does take a beating, bang for buck I used to swear by scott but their quality has gone down a lot in my opinion. Was wondering if anyone can reccommend some really good tough jackets? I know some of the Mammut professional stuff is pretty good but it would be nice not to shell out 600 Euros.

Nice but less important would be comes in a bright colour and has big pockets for skins.

Any ideas

M
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arc' Sidewinder SV - super bomber & lightweight 3-layer Goretex Pro shell. Should get one at a good price with it being off season but not in bright colours.

For bright coloured performance shell check-out the Norrona Lofoten.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain Equipment make some awesome tough jackets that aren't crazy expensive. I've had their Kamchatka jacket for the last two season. Although last season I spent most of the time in an insulated Norrona job.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are the Skandinavian brands really worth the premium though? Happy to pay a bit more but surely some other countries must be able to match/approach them on quality?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ nope. Norrona / Haglofs (etc) gear is nice, but no better made than others.

IMHO Marmot make some of the best 'bang for buck' kit.
150-200 for top quality gore-tex jacket that will keep you warm, dry and last for years.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-07-13 13:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Equipment is a UK brand.

Norrona stuff in my experience is excellent quality, well thought out and comes in eye melting colours. Their stuff also seems to fit my body shape better. IMO its better than most brands that are selling larger quantities and on par with the other niche manufacturers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Patagonia was always the most hardwearing stuff I used - pricey but more or less indestructable. Reading the care instructions the first time, I was blown away by the instruction to iron my nitro jacket and trousers after washing to restore the full waterproofing. apparently the yarn is waterproofed NOT the cloth post weaving. I've had 3 nitro jackets stolen (while in the UK - 2 from my car and one from a peg in a pub), so they must be considered worthwhile by some people. The colours were a bit girly though wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a Norrona Lofoten Pro Shell Jacket. Very well designed and made. And it's bright red. Tastefully matches my bright yellow Lofoten trousers (they have huge front pockets). Are they bombproof? Who knows, but they've taken quite a beating, and are still OK. They fit really well - not too tight , not too baggy, although I would say that Norrona are made more for the Scandi body shape, so if you are not fairly slim they might not fit too well.

Their website now has all the new colours for next season. http://www.norrona.com/Products/5002-11/1227/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-jacket-m

As for the price, I got mine from Tamarack, who used to do a 10 or 15% discount at the start of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Norrona is great stuff but its made for the slim and tall. If you are not long limbed forget it. No specific recommendations.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like my Mountain Equipment Changabang, it's a fairly bright two tone orange, not sure they still do that colour though. Not over endowed with pockets though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By its very nature Gore-tex will never last forever or be totally 'bomb proof' - maybe 5 years of hard use before they start to deteriorate. The main advantage of the material is that is light weight and breathable.
i.e A £400 mountaineering / ski jacket wont last twice as long, or perform differently from a decent £100-200 one.

With some brands their lower specification gore-tex jackets are often the harder wearing models. (the super top end expensive jackets are just lighter but often less durable material).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 23-07-13 15:00; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark1863, Same for Hagloff sadly Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B, too many pockets on a jacket you spend most of your time wearing with a pack on is one of my main bugbears for outdoor clothing design. Even the little ID/ski-pass pockets are completely redundant on jackets IMO and just add more places for water to get in. Two big chest pockets you can get into whilst wearing a pack is my ideal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, It has 4 front ones (2 large and 2 smaller) so it would suit, although it has a lift pass one too. Absence of any internal pockets is my main moan although I think the latest ones may have some.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountain Equipment is my brand of choice. I was a Patagucci fanboi but there pateneted "box fit" is getting worse. If I was a rotund american, it'd be ideal but a a slimish englishman with a belly, it's baggy and tight in all the wrong places.

The ME Kamchatka jacket is their ski jacket I believe (that meh owns), all my clothing is more climbing orientated.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/waterproof/kamchatka_jacket---648/
ski holidays
I've been very impressed with my Norrona Lofoten jacket this season, been bomber so far. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily made better than some of the cheaper but high end brands (Mountain Equipment, The North Face Summit Series), but it's definitely designed better - the cuffs are a thing of beauty for one: stick your arm in a your hand slides straight into the garter/thumb thing, which slides straight under the cuff of you gloves, which slide straight under the over-sized cuff of the jacket, while the oversized velcro bit is then easy to adjust with gloves on. Massive pit zips are also a win. Small details maybe, but the poorly designed cuffs on my old TNF jacket really annoyed me. TBF though, that old TNF (Summit Series goretex pro climbing jacket) was at least as bomber as the Norrona, it's the design details that make the difference.

Keep an eye on Mountain Equipment, Marmot and Sportspursuit for (relative) bargains though.
latest report
Clarky That highlights the "horses for courses" issue with internet recommendations quite well!

IMO, the Lofoton is cut abit odd on me and too long, it has those god awful hand gaiters and an annoying asymetrical cuff, pit zips - why?, a hood that doesn't go over a decent climbing helmet (well, it does but only just so will give you neck ache) etc etc. A lot of the things you like make me look elsewhere!

Answer - try some on, buy the one you like!
snow conditions
galpinos, interesting! The hand gaiters work well for me (the only brand I've tried that does, actually!), LOVE the cuffs, and the hood fits over my helmet fine! Actually wish it was smaller, I don't like skiing with a hood up (I have a ski lid not a climbing one though), and it falls over my eyes when wearing it in the rain (city/hiking/etc). I've found the pit zips invaluable touring/spring skiing though, so easy to dump heat without having to take the jacket off/on.

Can't argue with the trying it on bit though, some brands (Patagonia) just don't fit me at all!
ski holidays
Marmot and Powderhorn bargains on Sportspursuit now actually...
snow report
For Mountain Equipment, Sprayway and Ronhill check out seller daz198 on ebay. He seems to be an outlet shop. Also look for the OSC sales every so often at the factory in Hyde.
snow report
I've some Marmot pro shell trousers which are great, some nice looking jackets on there at a really good price.
latest report
I can vouch for the sidewinder, it's easily the best jacket I've owned to date.
latest report
Anyone road tested the Haglöfs Spitz II jacket, good deal found online...
snow conditions
Right sorry to drag this up again but am stumped! Please just tell me which one to get and I'll leave you all in peace:

Norrona Lofoten GTX Pro shell - €399

Norrona Narvic GTX 3L - €350

Haglofs Spitz 2 - €330

Arctyrex Alpha LT - €356

Arcteryx Alpha SV - €50 million

It is for Freeride skiing, BC touring, mountain hiking (though not bigass climbing), walking to work and drinking too much gluhwein at the christmas market.... I wear my jackets a lot, everyday in the winter in fact, so it needs to be tough enough ....
snow report
You could do with trying them on.

I got Ellis Brigham to get me a Norrona Narvic in large; a bit too long in the body and arms, but very tight across the chest. So it fits tall skinny types.

I went for a Burton [AK] instead. I've had them before and find the fit spot on.
snow report
I've tried some of them and some i was able to try a close relative... I'm 6 foot, 12 stone (77kg) and a pretty standard medium

Only one I havent been able to try is the spitz 2, so if anyone knows what it's like that'd be great
snow conditions
Lofoten GTX
snow report
Get the Lofoten Pro Shell in the brightest colour available. You won't regret it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And where can you find one for €399?
ski holidays
I'd tell you but theres only one left wink
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
I'd tell you but theres only one left wink

Well, I don't really "need" another one, but it's good to have a spare.

Just out of interest, what size were you thinking of getting?
ski holidays
Medium, the arms on the large are too long..
latest report
Your jacket's safe from me then. I normally have to buy XL, as I'm 6 ft 4, and have got long arms.
ski holidays
haha its a german site called followme
ski holidays
dulcamara, out of those I'd go with the Lofoten as well.
snow report
Lofoten
snow conditions
Arcterxx every time...
snow conditions
Anyone know how well the Lofoten packs away? I fully appreciate it may well be the best powder jacket in the world, but for hiking etc..? or should i look at the Active shell version?
ski holidays
bombproofness and packability don't usually go together
ski holidays
Actually that's my bad, started this thread wanting an Über-solid jacket for skiing but then figured, if i throw a bit more money at the problem i might be able to get a solid enough jacket that will be light enough to serve in the summer'ish seasons as well.

The Lofoten wasn't really my first choice as it's primarily a freeride jacket but there are enough people raving about it that I'm more tempted, as long as I'm not gonna regret it everytime I want to take it off and stick it in/on a bag.

A little surprised that nobody rates the Haglofs stuff, have they fallen by the wayside a bit?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy