Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Our kids have given us permission for a 2nd ski hol! so.... where to midweek?

Poster: A snowHead
We are taking the kids (13&14) to La Tania in January and have been toying with the idea of a second ski holiday for me and the hubby. We broached this with the kids and to our astonishment seemed quite excited of the prospect of us going away (and the grandparents looking after the kids at home) so I have been looking at flights and places to go so here are some of our requirements

Leaving North East Airport on Sun 16 March, returning Thursday 20 March 2014
A place that is good for cruising
Self Catered or Catered
hotel or apartment

I really want to go back to Les Saisies, as we know the area having been there before and hopefully if the weather is a little better this time we would be able to adventure further. Husband thinks it will be better to go somewhere we know for a few days skiing as he says it takes us a few days to find our way around new areas, find pistes we like etc, so this would be killing 2 birds with one stone. Or should we adventure somewhere we havent been before as there are so many resorts out there. the only thing puts me off visiting places I dont know is if it will suit my requirements which number one is MUST BE cruisy. I know Les Saisies and it definitelyfits my criterea.

Not sure what the snow cover will be like at that time of year.

Another place I was looking at going was Selva but where could I fly to that has departures in the North East? Another area I have been looking at is Belle Plagne. These have all been on my wish list.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow. There are so many places that fit your requirements. If it were me I'd definitely go somewhere new. How did you discover you liked Les Saisies first time round. Think in total how few times you'll go skiing in your lifetime and how many hundreds of places there are!

What other requirements do you have? Do you want necessarily purpose built like Bell Plagne or would you like more ambience. For just a few days you're not going to exhaust the skiing in all but the really small places. That time of season in a normal season (if there is one) most places should still have a reasonable snow cover. Maybe avoid lower Austrian ones or lower French ones (not too many of these) Nail down your criteria a bit and I can off you a few more suggestions of you'd like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We discovered Les Saisies by a lovely lady snowhead called Pam. It was one of the best holidays we had (even though it was one of the worst years for snow cover)

Places we have been:
Neiderau, Austria - Found the area to be far too small for our requirements
Valmorel, France - Brilliant ski area, suited our requirements to a T
les Saisies, France - AGain, Brilliant ski area, just what we were looking for
Ellmau, Austria - We didnt like this area. Found the runs to be a lot harder than France and were not cruisy at all. We found the area hard work
next holiday we have chosen La Tania

Other areas that I have considered in the past areSauze D'oulx, Serre Chevalier, Les ARcs, La Plagne, Selva.
The only criteria that I have is Large Cruisy area with lots of blues. Wouold like ski in/ski out or as close to that as possible
Our budget is about £500 each for flights, accomodation, transfers, lift passes, ski hire

Not bothered what the village looks like, we dont require much (if any) apres ski, just maybe the odd restauarant would be nice if we ate out once or twice
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On that basis La Plagne would suit nicely as would Les Arcs. The Sella Ronda would suit you as well. Sauze probably less so and neither of the latter 2 will be ski in ski out. The comment about Saisies was more to saythat before you'd been you obviously didn't know it but discovered it and liked it so go somewhere new and dicover that! There's probably less of what you want at Serre Che and not ski in ski out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are based in La Plagne so know it well and it definitely suits all of your requirements. It is pretty easy to navigate with good signposting and seperate villages making it easier to identify where you are.

Feel free to ask any questions about the area and I'll do my best to answer . . .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We broached this with the kids and to our astonishment seemed quite excited of the prospect of us going away

The party invites are already all over facebook wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For my money, if you really like Les Saises, go to Les Saises. - even more so as you're off elsewhere in January. I love the familiarity of going back to places I've been before - in fact we have often three or four holidays on the trot to the same place if we like it first time. Even now five years on we still go back each year to the place we spent a season and my now 15 year old is still not bored.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The party invites are already all over facebook

Why doesn't snowheads have a like button Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99, The usual problem in French places is being able to book non-standard times for accommodation - but that's all in one week, and low season, and at worst you would need to book an apartment for the whole week. If I were you I'd book flights to Gva right away - accommodation and choice of resort can wait.

Snow should be OK - it's a month before the end of the season - and it's after French hols, so a good time to choose.

For such a short time I'd be inclined to go back to somewhere familiar so you spend more time skiing and less time poring over the piste map - there is plenty more of the Espace Diamant to be discovered and LS will be cheaper than somewhere like La Plagne for Les Arcs for accommodation, food (and probably ski passes too).

I might be able to find you some Sun/Thurs accommodation nearer the time. Your budget is probably too tight for hotel or catered accommodation. Unfortunately skiing for 3 days costs as much in air fares as skiing for a month.

Do you have another couple who might be interested? Sharing car hire and the cost of a 2 bedroom apartment would help keep the costs down. And cooking for 4 doesn't cost twice as much as cooking for 2!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I last went, I went to the Meribel resort out in the Alps. It was fantastic, not the cheapest you'll find but definitely worth a pop.
Great people, great skiing and snowboarding, great location, they have a family holidays specific section of their website: http://skichaletsmeribel.co.uk/family-ski-holidays

Hope this helps!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sauze d'Oulx has loads of good cruisy skiing and its a short transfer from Turin (90mins tops) which I guess suits a short break
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Why doesn't snowheads have a like button

Because, thank God, it's not bloody FaceBook!
Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polo99, La Plagne is about the cruisiest I have seen anywhere. Lovely skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd add La Plagne too. Paradiski in general is very cruisy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So would I and we could help find you somewhere with midweek availability if you are still looking. wink
ski holidays
Saalbach!
latest report
Look at Montgenevre. Lots of nice cruise runs - reds are easy - I'm not brave!
latest report
I think we are going to go back to les saisies. At least we know it fits our requirements. Sauze doulx and la plagne were somewhere I have had on my short list before. We loved les saisies when we visited and hopefully when we go back we will be able to see more of the espace diamant but even if conditions are that we can't do that, we know that les saisies in itself has enough to keep us occupied. Many thanks for your responses. They will definitely go on my short list for our family 2015 holiday, we have settled on la tania for jan 2014 but now the kids and hubby have decided to take snowboard lessons as beginners, so now wondering if we are going to get the benefit of this resort as they will be going much slower and more cautiously and obviously with lessons we aren't going to have the time to be able to ski the whole Area so I'm in a bit of dilemma there. I've booked flights to Lyon at this point and verbally secured an apartment in la tania.
snow report
Consider Chamonix. Seriously. For a few days advantages are: no problem booking outside usual French Saturday to Saturday accom, short transfer so you maximize your ski time, and a lot going on in the town after, maybe you and OH wanna catch up with other activites while away from kids...
ski holidays
polo99, I suspect, actually, that LS is more up your street than Chamonix. Let me know if you need any help with accommodation. snowHead
snow report
Chamonix is a great town, but not a lot of cruisy areas close to the resort - if I'm not mistaken.
snow report
I'd recommend San Cassiano, best cruisy resort I've found in 20+ years of skiing...

let me know if of interest and I'll dig out the place we had a short stay at

http://www.dovesciare.it/sites/default/files/cartina-san-cassiano.jpg

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 13-08-13 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
polo99 Don't know how you'll get to Italy etc from a north east airport - unless you change planes with BA, KLM etc....So it looks like easyjet Newcastle to Geneva is your best bet.

Non-7 day/Sat to Sat accommodation will be an issue. Why not stay in a valley town that has flexible accommodation stays and is an easy drive to the slopes? Try Hotels.com, Booking.com, Laterooms.com, Expedia etc for an idea of availability. By way of example, we've done all of the following:

- Sallanches Ibis Hotel (bookable online at Accor Hotels) - for Chamonix, Combloux, Megeve and more.
- Moutiers (another Ibis Hotel or cheap alternatives available) - for 3 Vallees (accessed via St Martin de Belleville) or Valmorel.
- Bourg St Maurice (funicular access to Les Arcs) - Various hotels available (we've stayed at the Hotel Autantic).
- Brides Les Bains (old spa town) with a direct gondola connection to Meribel/the 3 Vallees.
- Cluses - For Les Carroz/Flaine/Samoens. Or Les Gets/Morzine is also easily do-able.
snow conditions
Quote:

Non-7 day/Sat to Sat accommodation will be an issue.

I could probably locate somewhere in or near Les Saisies; for a short break I think it would be nicer to be piste-side than have to spend time driving.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
polo99
Non-7 day/Sat to Sat accommodation will be an issue. .

Really? never, ever been an issue for me, some places only take a week long booking, but you can always find somewhere that is more flexible IMHO....

I've done less than 7 day stays in (from memory) Chamonix, La Plagne, Val D'annivers, San Cassiano, tignes, La Plagne, Les Saises, Val D'Isere, Morzine, Scotland, Gressoney
latest report
As a couple you will find a hotel room somewhere. The 7 day sat-sat is a major issue for family type accomodation
snow conditions
But the bigger the place the easier to get non standard accomodation which is advantage of Chamonix. You could ski the cruisier areas or stick to the very small area in montenvers
snow report
peanuthead, the last place I'd go to for a long weekend is Chamonix, it's too disjointed IMHO............
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Non-7 day/Sat to Sat accommodation will be an issue......Really? never, ever been an issue for me, some places only take a week long booking, but you can always find somewhere that is more flexible IMHO.... I've done less than 7 day stays in (from memory) Chamonix, La Plagne, Val D'annivers, San Cassiano, tignes, La Plagne, Les Saises, Val D'Isere, Morzine, Scotland, Gressoney

Okay okay kitenski - I hold my hands up, it's a fair cop! I've also done zillions of non-seven day, non-Saturday to Saturday ski trips - including 2 nights in Italy one New Year week - by just knocking on doors....but do tend to find that with online booking these days, the further ahead you book the more likely that the availability that comes up is a swish four or five star place costing an arm and a leg.

peanuthead's analysis is probably neare the mark:
Quote:

As a couple you will find a hotel room somewhere. The 7 day sat-sat is a major issue for family type accomodation
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy