Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storing a car in Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

I know some airports, or in their locality, have facilities for long term storage for cars so that you can just pop on a short bus/taxi to your lock up and then have your car accessible... I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in or around Geneva airport, or any of the Alpine airports where this is possible.. And I don't mean a long term car park Smile

Alternatively, if anyone knows of anywhere in Geneva where this could be done...?

Thx folks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try this:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1402648
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, Thx for this... Have had a quick read and tbh had not thought about getting a train to smaller towns and looking for car storage there... Unfortunately, fomr a very quick search, it appears that getting to places like Bonneville, Cluses etc are too much of an back bottom really... Just want something really simple...

Thx tho buddy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of free, open air parking at Chambery the last time I looked but, are you really after a lockup?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlpineAddict, you could try running a search here http://www.homegate.ch/rent/parking-place-garage
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
altis, I was thinking about buying a cheapo 4x4 (loving the Lada Niva Smile ) and hopefully leaving it somewhere that doesn't involve me having to get all the way from GVA to Les Contamines to access my car... Would be nice to have something that I can store a car when not there, and get easy (ish) access to it after landing...

GVA would be preferable

under a new name, Top find mate... Smile Thx
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlpineAddict, I think this is a bit of a Holy Grail. Will be interesting if you find something suitable. Gva airport is such a high-rent area, unlikely to be anywhere cheap. Chambery much more likely but less convenient. If you are looking to keep costs down get an ordinary car with good snow tyres - preferably something fairly uncool and undesirable. Unless you make many trips in a year it is likely to be as cheap to get a taxi to your place a few times a year as to park anywhere near Gva. And unless your trips are long, a hire car could well be cheaper than depreciation and running costs of a newish 4 x 4.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlpineAddict, your likely problem should you find somewhere is that locals may expect to rent to Swiss residents (less or unlikely to have payment issues). It occurs to me that you could look around the Pays de Gex, which is just on the French side of the airport. I don't have any sites for that area I'm afraid.

Or advertise on www.glocals.com or www.worldradio.ch (I don't know how long that latter site is going to remain active as WRS loses its FM broadcast licence on August 31 Sad )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

on the French side of the airport

yes, when I idly wondered about this for a while, some years ago (before doing a few sums) I thought about Ferney Voltaire. There's a big commercial centre within walking distance of the airport which I thought might have something.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, or there may be parking in residential buildings there that can be rented. Definitely worth a look.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Taxi drivers around Ferney Voltaire are absolute bandits from recent experience - would be cheaper to park in CHX and take Chamexpress etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlpineAddict, ...try this:

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/information/lifestyle/entertainment/local-english-media/

or this forum?

http://www.englishforum.ch/employment/51104-english-speaking-advertising-media-jobs-geneva.html

there are loads of flats with parking spaces which are not occupied - elderly folk, folk committed to bikes etc, the apartment blocks on the French side going North. I am pretty sure you could rent something entirely safe and ready access if you can just connect with the residents. Try the forum.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valais2, errr, how do the local radio stations help the OP find a parking space? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
some of the local radio stations have "small ads" features - I sold a boat in the South of France on Riviera Radio.
latest report
under a new name, pam w, ...thank you Pam....Under a new name note that if you go onto the website you can log in and you get into various services and fora which allow you to make contact with local folk, which is the way I think the OP will crack this.
ski holidays
valais2, ah, I see... snowHead
snow report
I buy a 3 (or might be 4) month season ticket for Lyon Airport. Parking is just outside the train station so about a 5 minute covered walk from the arrivals. Recall I pay about €230. Not sure if other airports have the same.
ski holidays
alti - dude, that sounds a very good arrangement.
ski holidays
Not entirely on topic but prompted by this thread I had a look at the gva.ch page on car parking and I see that the P31-32-33 car parks near the railway station (all of a 5 minute walk from the terminal) give an hour free and two hours for CHF3. Better than trying to do a drop off or pick up in 10 minutes to avoid a parking fee in the arrivals/departures car park.

Think I'll give that one a go for any Geneva trips this season.
snow report
DJL, the car parks are all of a 5 minute walk or the station is? I have a feeling that the car parks are out by Palexpo which is a right old trudge with luggage...
snow conditions
I thought it was just beyond the little supermarket. Usually I'm just picking up people with hand luggage rather than skis etc but the main advantage is I can leave the car there in case of delays etc. More reasearch needed next time I'm there with time to kill.
ski holidays
DJL, are you're probably fine then.
snow conditions
is the arrivals car park now open? if there are delays and things are fairly quiet I normally just drive out, around over the motorway and back in again, to avoid having to pay too much. I've done plenty of drop offs i 10 minutes (including a pee) but never yet managed a pick up in that time!
ski holidays
pam w, i think so. Departures park is completely gone -no surface at all. Big works Shocked
ski holidays
pam w, yes, it's definitely open but the departures parking has been closed for now for a major refurb. I can't really see what they've done to the arrivals parking except for put in some new machines, but I suppose it has been resurfaced or something.

The closure of the departures parking meant that there were massive queues for the 'kiss and fly' free drop off zone, so I just went down to the underground P1 parking which was queue free.

Anyone that uses the excellent 'Parking Friend' valet parking now has to drop their car of in the arrivals parking instead of departures for now.
ski holidays
Slightly off topic - does anyone have a good quick non Swiss Autoroute route to the airport from Annemasse direction? Get so hacked off with buying that carnet at the border every year for a handful of trips...
snow report
Try:

http://www.gva.ch/fr/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gvj, your only easy alternative is through Geneva.
ski holidays
Quote:

And unless your trips are long, a hire car could well be cheaper than depreciation and running costs of a newish 4 x 4.

We have never really made the sums work out for us to keep a car at the chalet - we would then have to fly and get a transfer, or get someone to bring the car to the airport. That is what our next door neighbour does. A local guy drives N's car to the airport and his girlfriend goes along too and brings him back. Then when they leave the car gets left at the airport and the local chap goes in later in the day to bring it back.

Even after so 13 years though we still seem to travel with the back of our car loaded up with stuff though so it always works for us to drive ourselves. But we are there for generally decent lengths of time. When we were both still working we would fly out late Thursday evening, back Monday and hire a car for the few days.
snow conditions
Quote:

Even after so 13 years though we still seem to travel with the back of our car loaded up with stuff

+ 1 Laughing And, of course, if you keep taking stuff out, you have to bring other stuff back, or it bursts at the seams. I plan to bring back a few boxes of books etc this time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy