Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Joining "offer"

Poster: A snowHead
I have just received a generic e-mail from Laura inviting me to join the Ski Club of Great Britain & receive a free Salomom rucksack!!!!

I never received such an email when regularly posting on the message board, so why now?
Are they struggling for membership?
Are they desperately trying to tempt us back into the fold?

Anyone else receive this "fantastic" offer?

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Bunny. It's known as a carrot and (ski) stick approach. You've already had the stick.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm obviously not wanted by the ski club. They haven't emailed me Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ditto.

But then I wouldn't want a rucksack anyway. No chance do I want to be made the pack horse of all our future skiing trips. (Camelbak has no space for anything except water. Well, apart from that bottle of Champagne!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got a letter from them - a tie in with the White Peaks Challenge. Because I did the challenge, I'm invited to their Ball later in the year.
How nice of them.

Except - the invitation is for me to fill a table at the ball, and all for only £950 for a small table (and they emphasise that this is saving £50 or something like that)
Now, if I had a spare £950 when I was going off to raise money for charity, I think I would have spent it on the charity, and not lining the pockets of THE CLUB
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you get a free rucksack with the table?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Bow Tie. As a legendary party animal you will disappoint many people with that decision. We'll have to find something that fits your budget. Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, how about a drive through at McD's, Cirencester? As for the dress code, I think I have that covered.
masopa, no. You don't even get free membership of THE CLUB.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masopa,
I would quite happily carry around a rucksack (SCGB freebie or otherwise) all day if it contained a bottle of champagne. Well...maybe it'd only contain the champagne til lunchtime.......

I emailed Laura asking to be removed from all SCGB mailing lists Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Dinner Suit. There's no dress code for McDonald's. Don't be silly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Wear The Dinner Suit. There's no dress code for McDonald's. Don't be silly.

Are you sure? With all the abuse flying around at that particular McDs?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What abuse?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc gledhill, it is fabled that a mystical character works there. He hurls abuse at all patrons of that establishment while flipping burgers with all the grace and charm he can muster.
Personally, I think it's worth the abuse just to meet him
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not The "JW" is it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's the one.
ski holidays
Ski Bunny

The 'join the ski club get a free rucksack' offer is one the ski club has been using for a while and they apparently gave away lots at the ski show in October.

I have one myself so can vouch for its excellent quality. I gave it a good test whilst ski touring in Chamonix in January. I was even more pleased when I spotted the same one costing £30 in Snow & Rock recently!. Clearly the buying
power of the ski club is being used very effectively to the benefit of new ski club members.

I am glad their marketing dept is working well and giving all previous non member contributors to the chat line the chance to join the club and allowing them to recoup the value of their over 50% of their membership fee instantly!!!!

For those yet to be approached I am sure if you wish to join the ski club, you can give them a call, pay your fee and take advantage of the great offer.
snow conditions
I don't think the ski club are "desperate" to recruit members as you describe, its just highly effective marketing
ski holidays
Michael. The Ski Club of Great Britain was founded by people who believed in discussion, exchange of knowledge, debate, research and publishing. One century later, in the months prior to February 5th 2004, these principles were reborn in the most dramatic fashion.

I think Snowheads are simply looking for our Club to demonstrate that it has learned the true lessons of its decision of Feb 5. Free backpacks are bound to be viewed a little cynically by those who put a far higher true value on what they do here every day. Advice, news, education, tips, humour, friendship and communication are hugely valuable to people.
ski holidays
Well I didn't get an email. I am starting to think SCGB doesn't want me! Isn't that ridiculous!
snow report
No email for me either. Perhaps it's because we don't live within the M25?
snow conditions
Ski Bunny, this is fairly typical (and inexpensive) marketing. Often, those rucksacks cost them virtually nothing. I have a closet-full from technical companies and trade shows.

michael, your posts are an interesting contrast here. Do you mind sharing with us your relationship to the SCGB?
latest report
I didn't get an e-mail either. Ski Bunny - what have you got that we haven't? A title? A double-barrelled name?
snow report
Ski Bunny, did you used to be a member? Maybe that's it?
ski holidays
masopa wrote:

No email for me either. Perhaps it's because we don't live within the M25?
Didn't U know, "In Cyberspace no-one can hear the Traffic".
I'm inside the M25 and I haven't been invited either - even after donating so much errant twaddle to their valuable archive.

maggi,
Quote:

Ski Bunny - what have you got that we haven't? A title? A double-barrelled name?
Like "Ski-Bunny" for example?
latest report
admin,

I didn't realise that was hyphenated! I thought Ski was her forename. You mean she's (eg) ffiona Ski-bunny?
ski holidays
I got an advert for the Next catalogue and the chance to win a Saab (I don't drive!)

I do think you might be getting the tiniest bit obsessed by this, I'm always pleased to get an e-mail from Laura - it makes me feel I have friends. It also makes a change from offers to enlarge or stiffen parts of my body, engage in lucrative financial deals with important people from around Africa, make friends with excitable young women or gain new qualifications. Very Happy
latest report
Correct, Ian. None of the services in your last sentence are included in the SCGB subscription. The British Empire once had many reps in Africa, but this was the non-Alpine branch.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What do you have to achieve to get an advert for the Next catalogue, or make friends with excitable young women? Wink Blush
latest report
They seem to be two quite unrelated areas... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Aren't excitable young women featured in the Next catalogue then? Perhaps they ought to be rolling eyes
latest report
Ian Hopkinson, you do have friends, really... Some of us here may even be your friends. As far as you know! Wink Laughing
snow report
ssh -

To answer your question, I am a relatively new member of The Ski Club and hence a supporter of its activities, many of which I am still yet to take advantage of.

Just occasionally I see comments on this web site which seem to unfairly and unreasonably criticise the integrity and or honesty of the management of the club, Alternatively, contributors here have occasionally, honestly mis-interpreted the activities of The Ski Club

As The Ski Club seemes to have more than its fair share of detractors here I feel someone should put the counter view so that the many objective readers of this thread get a more balanced view of The Ski Club.
snow conditions
michael, SCGB did manage to upset a fair number of us and we're still having a bit of a mutter about it when the whim takes us. Your differing viewpoint is very welcome - since arguing with people you agree with is just no fun! Shocked

(For the record: I am on my first year of membership at SCGB, I was recruited through the old open discussion forum)
ski holidays
I never was a member, but spent 5 years promoting their website without charging them.
A retailler friend of mine was then told by them that he had to obey certain rules, which involved him losing money when selling skis and boots, to anyone who came into his shop and said they were a scgb member.
To me, this kind of extortion is not the sort of thing I would expect from a not-for-profit organisation.
snow report
Ian

It is very interesting that you were recruited via the open forum as many claims have been made about how the loss of the open forum will reduce recruitment.

I have no idea whether that is true or not, or if true to what extent, however you are a real example of at least one memeber recruited that way. I wonder how many more members were similarly recruited?

Wear the Fox Hat

You are surely just trying to provoke a response!!! Wink

Not wishing to disappoint you I suggest that your retailer will have volunteered to offer a small discount (5% to 10%) to members in return for the free PR offerred for being listed in the club literature giving him access to 27,000 potential new customers.

If that level of discount means he is selling at a loss he is in the wrong business.

Furthermore if you believe that such a win win relationship is "extortion" then you must come with me when I next visit Asda's head office for my next round of price negotiations with one of their buyers........on second thoughts you might end up hitting him !!!
latest report
michael, I did a very unscientific straw poll on the member only forum and we reckoned on some number around 10 citing the open forum as being a major factor in recruiting them.
snow report
michael, 5-10% would have been possible.
20-25% is the range in question.
snow conditions
WTFH

I have just looked through the handbook and there are simply no discounts of 20% to 25% available to members. I wish the Ski Club had the clout to negotiate such discounts for its members but it simply does not.
ski holidays
true blue, the point is, they were trying to force it on small retailers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy