Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hints and Tips with Inside Out Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I was in torn between several places to put this, but thought it would do harm here in BZK. A number of regulars from Inside Out's skiing lessons joined a few friendly hangers on (inc. my mob) for a meet up today in The Ski Centre at HH. The IO team had organised a good deal with the ski centre and we got a really good ski session which wrapped up at around 8pm tonight.

rob@rar gave up several hours to provide hints and tips to everyone there and as I didn't get a chance to buy him a drink I thought I'd post a thread on the session instead as it hadn't really been mentioned elsewhere and quite a few SH's turned up. Many thanks to IO for a good evening. Interesting though BZK is, and helpful though everyone tries to be, there really isn't any substitute for something resembling snow/hardpack! and an instructor. Tap pole, stand on new outside ski (concentrate on the edge) make the turn - say it to myself 'Tap and Stand (on the edge)' (if I write it down I'll be able to find it before I ski the next time!). The revelation is that I can I feel the ski actually cutting an edge mark into the snow as it turns and the whole length of the ski engages!! Cool

Apparently there is another meet like this in September - we shall be there if nothing else gets in the way - a really great session IO - many thanks from myself and the Minimums - I have all those drills you gave them logged in my mind for when they start needing something to slow them down on their hols!! Twisted Evil.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-07-13 8:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry I couldn't make it. Having already spent one sunny day in the fridge this week, I decided that my garden, with TMS on the radio, was the place to be today! Was there a good turn-out?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica, Quite a good turn-out, a nice mix of skiers and lots of talk about plans for next season's skiing! snowHead I'm glad that I.O. do this now that we don't have snowHeads meets at Hemel.

Agreed, it was a challenge to walk away from the garden in the sunshine, but the skiing, as always, lifted my spirits. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iski, Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Next Social.......September 21st
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/club.html#2
Hope to see the same faces (& faceplants in my case Toofy Grin ) at the next one.. That netting is good stuff aint it Embarassed
I had a blast, much more fun than the usual session at HH
Thanks Guys n Gals n little people Little Angel
Cheers Rob & Scott Smile
Ciao
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kind of your to say Megamum, HOpe you all enjoyed the evening, sorry to go early but had been there all day running a course and MrsSkimottaret was home for the first time in a while so we had a very nice stir fry in the garden... See you in September !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have a complication having got home and looked at paperwork. Now we have our fingers crossed that my son gets an 11+ sitting on the morning of the 21st!!!!! and not the afternoon!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
We have a complication having got home and looked at paperwork. Now we have our fingers crossed that my son gets an 11+ sitting on the morning of the 21st!!!!! and not the afternoon!

That would be so cool, for him to finish the 11+ exam & then go blast off the cerebral pressure in Hemel.
Can't think of a better way for him to reward himself n relieve the pressure of working toward the papers.
I'm sure he'll do fine, from what I saw he is defo Grammar School material Cool
FWIW My boy said the actual Q's were a lot easier than anticipated & he received quite a good score. He'll be at HH on 21st too
snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, glad you enjoyed the evening Very Happy I thought your skiing was looking very tidy towards the end of the session, so keep working on those movements and they will soon become automatic and instinctive even when conditions get tricky.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry I had to leave before the social, but it was good to see a few familiar faces before I went (leaving my boots in the bar, doh!). Unfortunately it looks as though September's date also clashes with another prior engagement.
Now at home feeling lurgified with what's either a heavy cold or a light flu. I really hope I haven't passed it on to anyone else. Take care people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
. Interesting though BZK is, and helpful though everyone tries to be, there really isn't any substitute for something resembling snow/hardpack! and an instructor.

Hurrah she's got it!!

and well done for getting down to Hemel, sounds like it was a worthy trip....we just need a "Further North" IO now Wink

regards,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I went pole planting!!! Amongst other skills that I also worked on whilst I was there. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I'm more chuffed you've realised BzK has it's limits (in fact I often think it does more harm than good) than the skills you learnt!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
kitenski, I went pole planting!!! Amongst other skills that I also worked on whilst I was there. Very Happy

Yep I witnessed the planting of the poles........from my safety netting cocoon wink
Well Done Brava
Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even more remarkable is that I skied on the same slope as franz Clammer and survived!! wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 15-07-13 22:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum, This time Toofy Grin
wink Laughing
latest report
kitenski, thanks to rob@rar, and the drill he gave me (above) I found the inside edge of the outside ski on a corner and can now feel it biting as I drive it around the corner Very Happy . rob@rar, said this will help to stop it from stepping out and help me lose that dreadful stem Very Happy More practice with this new skill def. needed as as the moment I am saying (sometimes out loud Embarassed ) 'plant the pole, stand....and.....round the corner' Laughing Laughing Laughing Methinks it will be better when its bit more instinctive than that Laughing , and that will take more time on the snow Very Happy
latest report
Megamum wrote:
...I found the inside edge of the outside ski on a corner and can now feel it biting as I drive it around the corner Very Happy...

That's a GREAT feeling!! I still remember the first time I found my edges and said out loud "WOW!!"
So congrats...work on that feeling and you will have many years of absolutely amazing skiing ahead of you snowHead
snow conditions
Haha know that feeling bro', I remember it too, was my first skiing holiday, after a few days I was like YEAH
snow report
Megamum, excellent, I just checked back and this is what I said in your original thread back in May, but as I also said, reading it in BZK is no substitution for a good teacher on snow!

Quote:
skies that still do a fish tail at the back before loads of the turns although I can't feel them doing it, - concentrate on getting the weight early onto the new outside ski and keeping it there will help
latest report
skimottaret, rob@rar ,
Any chance of organising a Weekly (or as often as poss) IOS Social Ski for club members at HH
I think it would really encourage folk to practice between lessons more, especially in the run up to the Fast Track 3V's course.
Not to mention the massively discounted slope time (presuming it's not a major logistical job for you's guys rolling eyes ) I'm not suggesting you guys put in longer days at HH, more that it would enable a bit of peer support for club members
snowHead
latest report
✋✋✋✋
Come on guys, show of hands
It could be a "take it or leave it option"
But I'm sure we'd develope a core of regulars
ski holidays
franzClammer, I'd be interested.
snow report
franzClammer, nice to see you yesterday. Whilst I Don't think it's reasonable to ask IOS to organise these (they spend quite a lot of time there already an are often teaching at the weekends) I Do think that regular meet ups at HH (or elsewhere) are good. There have been both official and unofficial snowHeads meet ups before which have always been a good way of getting to know people. Are you volunteering to host?
ski holidays
little miss Spock
franzClammer wrote:
skimottaret, rob@rar ,
I'm not suggesting you guys put in longer days at HH, more that it would enable a bit of peer support for club members
snowHead

Hi Ya
Yeh I agree 100% with your sentiment
However I don't see a need for a host.
I was hoping more that we could book our IOS Club session through the IOS website
as we had the previous Social and the forthcoming 21st Sept
If there were a monthly or bimonthly option for the same I think we would evolve into a more
solid fraternity
ISO is such a good concept compared to ESF or random lessons that I think the club idea can only serve for good.
Obviously I am oblivious to the tech side of website bookings and ISO's deal with HH
So if the idea isn't binned by the guys that matter R&S, do people support the idea in principle or nay.
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
little miss Spock
franzClammer wrote:
skimottaret, rob@rar ,
I'm not suggesting you guys put in longer days at HH, more that it would enable a bit of peer support for club members
snowHead

Hi Ya
Yeh I agree 100% with your sentiment
However I don't see a need for a host.
I was hoping more that we could book our IOS Club session through the IOS website
as we had the previous Social and the forthcoming 21st Sept
If there were a monthly or bimonthly option for the same I think we would evolve into a more
solid fraternity
ISO is such a good concept compared to ESF or random lessons that I think the club idea can only serve for good.
Obviously I am oblivious to the tech side of website bookings and ISO's deal with HH
So if the idea isn't binned by the guys that matter R&S, do people support the idea in principle or nay.

I agree with this as an idea in principle, am thinking I had better pay me subs
snow report
franzClammer, The point is they aren't a charity and already run plenty of reasonably priced instruction days. They aren't making a lot, if anything out of club evenings and if they've been working all day are entitled to a bit of private life.

You can arrange on here and everyone book a pass direct with HH.
snow report
Yeh...again.. I thought I was quite clear on whether it was a chore for the guys & a reasonable suggestion

franzClammer wrote:
skimottaret, rob@rar ,
Not to mention the massively discounted slope time (presuming it's not a major logistical job for you's guys rolling eyes ) I'm not suggesting you guys put in longer days at HH, more that it would enable a bit of peer support for club members
snowHead

Also I was suggesting this for Inside Out Club Members not Snowheads generally. I appreciate that SH get togethers already occur.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ummm it is a pretty big job to organise these things and in the past there were similar monthly events but they lost popularity and eventually fizzled out... The Centre under new management is offering an ever changing set of summer deals, discounts and special events and the reasonable deal we cut with them for our summer social events cant compete and people do like a bargain. We are running two socials this year and there is an open invitation to SH's and anyone else who isnt a member of the Inside Out Ski Club to come along. We just ask them to pay a touch more for the night and this has gone down well. There is a fair amount of admin involved and we just don't have the time to run additional fun sessions over and above what we already do... see you in September and I might even try telemarking to amuse the crowds Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-07-13 8:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
franzClammer, no misunderstanding here. In the absence of a response from IO, I thought an alternative might be worth suggesting. Although a host isn't, in principle, necessary it is useful to have a focal point for a meeting. There hasn't been a snowHeads get together for a while, partly because no one has been ready and willing to take charge.

So, yes, I am keen on any excuse to spend more time on the snow. Yes, it would be great if there's a way of getting a discount. Yes, the IOS members are a good group of likeminded people who are able to get to HH. If IOS can help that would be great. If they can't, would you still be interested in doing something?

[cross-posted with skimottaret's post above - which answers the IOS question]
ski holidays
skimottaret, Thanks for replying.

little ms spock, I'd me more than happy to take a lead role if we were to organise something, but as Scott has highlighted theses events can be a flash in the pan, seems SH's are fickle folk.
So what I propose is' that I/We have a chat with Rob perhaps on the Sept Social, given his past experience & pick his brains to see if it's worth a crack.
Meanwhile; I always post in my Intermidiot thread when I'm going to HH incase anyones up for a rendezvous.
Therefore it might help to establish feasibility if people express an interest here
>
>
>
>

....Oh gawd what have I done Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
franzClammer wrote:

little ms spock, I'd me more than happy to take a lead role if we were to organise something, but as Scott has highlighted theses events can be a flash in the pan, seems SH's are fickle folk.:

It's not about fickle - it's about people having assorted calls on their time so out of those interested you might only find a third are available on any weekend time slot once a month. Hemel have decent deals on liftpasses over the summer as you know, all you have to do is post up a thread saying this is what we are doing and when - you can even create a doodle if you want to choose from a few slots. Your other challenge is to decide what sort of instruction you want and whether you can line someone up.
ski holidays
Is that all I have to do..........lol
ski holidays
Aside from meet-ups I have just taken a look at the thread 'getting early grip' (that first video btw, I'm sure is the one I've been referring to for ages). I have just thought back to what I did with rob@rar, and I've realised what I was doing differently when he said I was looking better. This might sound silly and there may be a good reason why I won't need to do this long term, but for the moment I think I need to ski around the curve on the outside ski and just let the inside one follow (this is almost one of those light-bulb moments). I need to think, at the moment, to getting all/as much of my weight as possible over the outside ski of the turn. I've just realised that I've been skiing the turns on the inside ski and what I need to do is to imagine skiing them on the OUTSIDE ski. It might not be 100% right, but I've a very good notion that the thought process will help me!! Very Happy
ski holidays
double post

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 24-07-13 22:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, post up a vid and you'll soon find out if you;re "100% right" or not!!
Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
ALQ, The daft thing is that I can recall my skiing, and I know that I have literally been relying on the inside ski, I also know why - it's closest to the mountain, therefore it feels the safest thing thing to hang onto the hill with. When I pole planted, then paused and did as Rob said 'stand on the outside ski' it forced the ski to work as it inscribed the necessary arc in the snow. At the time the inside ski just went with it, but I was concentrating on steering the outside ski round the curve and I think it stopped stepping out into the stem. The key is the realisation that I have been skiing on the inside ski as I made the curve and not skiing on the outside ski. I suspect it will take some time to lose the old habit, but I think now I've realised what I've doing I can change things if I concentrate enough.
latest report
Megamum, well done, look back, I think alot of your internet advice has been "get the weight onto the outside ski early".

As I will keep repeating, reading forums is no substitute for a decent instuctor on snow/dendex/inside snow
snow report
Megamum wrote:
... what I need to do is to imagine skiing them on the OUTSIDE ski. It might not be 100% right, but I've a very good notion that the thought process will help me!! Very Happy
Imagine not, just do. A better skier will you be.

[/Yoda]
snow report
kitenski, yes it has, but it's only just now that I've realised why it hasn't been happening, and that is the key! I've been hanging onto the mountain with the inside ski. Telling me to get the weight onto the outside ski early is all well and good, but although I've been trying to I hadn't realised that I couldn't do it unless I let go of the reliance (and it has been a reliance) that I have on the inside ski and that is a 'mind' thing. Now the light has gone on I can keep reminding myself that it isn't necessary to use that to hang on with. I know that sounds daft, but could make all the difference now I've thought it through - it isn't the inside ski that hangs onto the slope - it's the Outside One!!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-07-13 22:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy