Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black and Decker workmate - ski servicing?

Poster: A snowHead
Somple question: If I were to need one, would a Black and Decker work mate work as a bench/vice for ski servicing?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1378276&CMP=KNC-GUK-FUK-GEN-LISTINGS&gross_price=true&mckv=YKMwxwd8|pcrid|14164337469|plid|
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No any skis attached to it will immediately be ruined and thereafter unusable in perpetuity.

(My ski workbench is 2 old chairs)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, NehNeh I was considering the practicality of the vice arrangement not having one here to try.

I kind of assume that you could drop the binding between the two moveable wooden jaws and clamp around them (without damage?) and place a couple of blocks of wood under the front and back of the upturned ski to fill the gap between ski and bench and hold them steady? For the edges I'd need to find a way of supporting the ski sideways, but a couple of blocks of wood with appropriate slots and maybe a couple of G clamps should serve with a workmate if necessary?

I was just trying to kill the workbench and clamp purchase in one hit if I was buying from scratch and intended to invest more heavily in the correct 'rest of the gear' from our own resident expert.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-07-13 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a workmate with one of these and a bit of ingenuity.

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/4609/products/tools4boards_pro_500_ski_vice_spare_shoe.aspx
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher, initially puzzled, but thought process so far - is the shoe a plate that is wider than the binding that provides an undamageable surface for the workmate edges to grab hold of?

NB. I might follow up on that concept, I have a brother that can make this sort of thing, I'll show him the picture!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to add I mounted a section of 3x3 fence post where the hand is in the photo, and that gets clamped in the workmate. The "shoe" is adjustable via a wing-nut so easy to set to any boot sole length.

I was going to add a second bit of 3x3 to raise it up a bit and have bolts so I could turn it through 90 degrees, but the tape works well so I haven't got round to it yet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musher, I like! Very Happy Good picture! A workmate is about 56cm long do you find that is sufficient to stop the ends of a ski that is say 160cm + 'whipping' in the air as they are worked on?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
NB. I might follow up on that concept, I have a brother that can make this sort of thing, I'll show him the picture!!

If you do a google search there are plans out there for making this sort of dummy ski boot from a few bits of wood.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A standard builder's trestle (eg Sealey) and ski vices works much better. I have seen the shoes work, but you need something to stabilise the tips.
Sad to have to recommend ski vices, but they do help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beequin, that's made me think, we own one of these, I wonder whether I could find a set of vices that would make use of it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-3550mm-Aluminium-11-in-1-Folding-Multi-Use-Ladder-Trestle-Platform-Inserts-/281058850036?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item417069b4f4
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum,

You need some other bits of 3x3 under the ski to hold it firm. Again I was planning to add the bracing bits to a base for what I have already. If you do a forum search there are pictures of what other people have done .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Two cheap workmate devices side by side would also work I think!

I have been searching SH's as well - wonderful resource for this sort of thing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just built a shelf.

Bit of offcut kitchen worktop from B&Q which they cut for free to reduce width £5

Lengths of 1" square wood (also B&Q) for form frame. Possibly also £5 but can't remember.

Basically, I made two rectangles out of the wood, fixed them to the garage wall and screwed the worktop on top of that.

Dead rigid, takes up very little space and much cheaper than a workmate Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36579

was contemplating bodging something like that to go with my €10 not Black+Decker not-Workmate, plus something to support the tips when bases are flat.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I sharpened my skis once a week for 6 years on a B&D workmate, worked fine, just stuck a towel in the gap to grip the skis, elastic band to keep the brakes up and my other hand to stop the tips bending... easy

that said I think my bindings have gotten girlier since the race style blocks of metal.
snow report
dulcamara, May work for sharpening, but not so good for waxing?
snow conditions
I just lean skis up against a wall. I service them after every use and just do one pass with a file so don't need to press hard on them.
snow conditions
beequin, What's wrong for waxing? Holds the ski fine, lets it bend as it heats up, seemed ok to me, don't need to press hard at all, maybe it only works with race skis
ski holidays
What beequin, said. I have some vices have a nice bench at home for them and on the road can and do clamp them to anything. rjs, has a point, quick and dirty works, little and often is the way to go.
ski holidays
Hubby uses a workmate for our skis, can't say he's encountered any problems?
snow report
I have no problem with waxing on an ancient B&D workmate. I'm all for multi-use of gadgets (and clothes!).
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions, currently working on a mechanism to give me something to grip the ski with, then I'll think about how to support the full length of the skis. I'm going to have a bash at some ski servicing - I did Jon's course some years ago, and I think I can remember what to do, I'll have to contact him and get the necessary in the next few weeks whilst the weather is warm and the wax will work well.
snow report
Megamum, I've used one for the last few years but need to make a couple of amends.
snow report
Personally I use one to wax my skis, got one for £15 from halfords in a sale a year/2 ago, it does the job, but I'd recommend getting something better.

I basically just clamp the bindings(pivots) with the wooden planks(not describing this well), and it seems to work fine. The only problem is at the tips, my skis are only 171, but if you had longer skis it'd be even harder, waxing them at the ends is just ridiculously hard, due to the leverage.
snow report
Mine is one of the very originals, I got it it about 1980. It's not ideal but does a job. I might invest £15 in a new one this winter wink
ski holidays
I've used a black and decker orbital sander to sand down the base of my snowboard. It went great after. Just stuck the snowboard on the bull bars on my truck to do it, and chucked a couple of occy straps round it to hold it on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy