Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rookie trip

Poster: A snowHead
So I am sure this must have been covered before but I cant find anything on it. I am organising a trip for myself and some friends (guessing about 8 people) to go skiing for my birthday. The plan is to go either on the 14th December or early January for a week. At the moment Austria looks good value and like it is suitable for beginners and the more experienced skiers. Is this reasonable? also one friend has sad that he would be up for coming if the cost of the holiday is less than £700 in total, I am guessing with UCPA that would be possible but probably not other companies as he needs lessons and hire of skis and boots.

Please provide some guidance much as I know this is a bit of an open one which wont help that much.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

At the moment Austria looks good value and like it is suitable for beginners and the more experienced skiers

There are resorts in Austria which would suit, and others which wouldn't - it's a case of choosing a resort, rather than a country. UCPA would almost certainly be better value than any alternative - but early January would be a lot better, wherever you go, than mid December. Many resorts won't be open so early and those that are will normally have better snow cover a few weeks later.

What kind of accommodation are you looking for - rent an apartment, stay in a hotel, or stay in a catered chalet? Austria gives you more choice of hotels, France of catered chalets. Both have apartments for rent, though most tour operator holidays in apartments are in France. If the apres-ski (that's a euphemism, normally means drinking......) is important Austria might suit you better. However, £700 is a very tight budget to include lessons and hire of gear even if you don't go near a bar all week.

What kind of range of experience in the group?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply Pam. In terms of dates I guess I liked it being the same year as my birthday but if January is likely to be better I will look at that more seriously, my first and last trip skiing was to Tignes which was a good experience in December but didnt really suit my ability so trying to learn from that experience.

Ideally I would like a catered chalet but I think I can be happy with a hotel or apartment too. Is one option typically more expensive than the other? I am not too fussed about the apres ski as I am thinking we will make the evenings fun wherever we are. I agree that £700 to try and include everything with lessons is rather ambitious, may result in him sadly not being able to join us.

As regards to experience we have some people who havent skied before and will spend some time in a snow dome before hand getting some idea. Others have done one trip before and some enjoy black runs. My view is that if we have a decent selection of blue runs and some reds for the more experienced I think that would probably be good.

I hope that helps a bit and I really do appreciate your help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That budget is quite tight, but probably doable Dec/Jan (not holiday weeks though) if you can get a deal with one of the big tour ops. I would suggest leaving it until the prices drop, but that might be a risk for 8 people. In a catered chalet, you usually get all your tea, coffee and wine included, so this is worth considering over a hotel.

Don't forget about Italy, some good value holidays can be had in La Thuile, Cervinia and the Aosta Valley, and the beautiful Dolomites.

Maybe have a look on some of the TO websites (Crystal, Neilson, Ski Total, Inghams...) and see what's available from your local airports, then we can give you specific info on anything that catches your eye.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, I do aplogise again for my lack of knowledge. I have looked and will look again, I was quite liking the look of some of the Crystal and Inghams venues but will also look at Ski Total and come back. The catered chalet especially if we take the whole thing or most of it I think is my ideal solution.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pete_Berks, Sorry, forgot to mention, the big companies often do a "beginners pack" add on that includes lessons, ski hire and a local lift pass which might be suitable for any newbies in the group, but you it's not always easy to check the price of this until you proceed through the booking process a bit. However, ski hire and lift passes for everyone else may be cheaper booked independently.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pete_Berks, one of the advantages of UCPA is that it's full board - so you can save a lot of money on eating on the slopes - and bar prices are reasonable. Really good tuition for your beginners and for the rest, too - up to very high standards.

Apart from UCPA, renting an apartment and cooking for yourselves, buying beer and wine in the supermarket, would be cheapest option - for 8 people you might do better to book an apartment separately as most of the tour operators offerings are for smallish apartments, and unless you cram people in you pay under-occupancy charges. Also, look carefully at bed/bedroom logistics, if you don't have many couples or others willing to share.

Tignes is generally a good bet in mid December but you'll have hugely more choice in early January - look at the way the prices fall once New Year is over.

As Scarlet says the inclusion of tea and cakes after skiing, and wine with dinner, helps a lot to keep prices down. Buying every single thing at hotel bar prices bumps up the bill.

Your beginners will need to have lessons in a snowdome - they can't just go and bimble around on their own. Snowdome lessons are extremely useful but not cheap.

If you are having to organise everything and haven't done many ski holidays before, it's probably best to go with one of the tour operators. There's plenty of time, you are going (wisely) in low season, so you can read the brochures at leisure.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Your beginners will need to have lessons in a snowdome

I'm not sure if I missed something, but presumably the beginners will be having lessons in resort and therefore snowdome lessons might be nice, but surely it is not essential? I can't imagine more than 5-10% of skiers have any tuition before they go. On the plus side, I am a great believer in the idea that dry ski slopes / snow domes are a great money saver. IME They are usually such grim and ghastly places that they will put you instantly off skiing and you will save a fortune on all the trips that you now will never take.

Quote:

cost of the holiday is less than £700 in total

I know someone will say that it IS possible to do a week's skiing for £700, but I'm not sure that is terribly realistic. Just about the cheapest deal I can find is £315 pp. Add on ski and boot hire, ski pass, insurance, ski lessons, and you are left with £50-100 for all food and drink for a week. This assumes you have all the other kit you need. Is £700 really possible in a sensible, half-civilised sort of way? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was thinking the snow dome lessons are very much a nice to have, I went on the old style dry ski slope in Bracknell before my first trip and while it wasnt the same it did provide some value to me. As you say the experience is not comparable with being on a mountain, but the step up when you arrive is nice.

I was thinking £800-900 is still doing it on a relative budget but should allow me to enjoy the holiday and relax too.

While I am happy to look at Crystal, Total Ski, Mark Warner and Inghams and have been doing so, however are there any resorts you would specifically suggest are good to focus on or to avoid for the lower ability members of the group (including myself)? I know UCPA will be cheapest but this is meant to be for my 30th too!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You should try some independent chalet companies, they'll usually be much more flexible on pricing. But saying this, you should be realistic about pricing, which means you shouldn't expect Gold bullion in exchange for Peanuts! you know the old saying 'you get what you pay for'

I don't recommend Tour Operators, I don't like the idea of paying top dollar for some 18 year old who's never cooked in their life cooking me dinner! Small companies are generally better, particularly if you're all adults (i.e. no children to put in with the Nannies or Creche etc) I've stayed in some amazing chalets, even one where the company owners hosted - 1 was a chef with 10 years exp! the other had hosted dignitaries!!! and was less than £4500 for 8 of us!! Madeye-Smiley

You will more than likely be able to negotiate a 'deal' on an independent catered chalet company you should still be realistic about your budget. January, like everyone is saying is generally the best value. The skiing top notch.

Once you've decided on a ski area think about ALL the resorts in said ski area, don't limit yourself to looking in 1 place. Once you consider other places in the that Area you can always ski around the other villages etc... it's all snow... Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm not sure if I missed something, but presumably the beginners will be having lessons in resort and therefore snowdome lessons might be nice, but surely it is not essential?

Indeed. I didn't express myself very clearly. the OP said the beginners would be going to a snowdome and I was just pointing out that they would have to have lessons, as opposed to just going and trying to do it with help from their mates.

Pete_Berks, UCPA doesn't have to mean having a miserable time! I think all the reports I've seen on SHs about UCPA have been very positive. My daughter and her BF (now husband) went to flaine and enjoyed it and he had been previously, on his own, on a summer trip to Chamonix.

I don't think anyone young and keen would be put off by the experience of a snowdome (or a dry slope, come to that) but I do hesitate about recommending dry slopes to people who are likely to wimp out at the first fall and who are perhaps being dragged along a bit by keen friends and spouses!

One thing to consider is whether you want to have "ski in/out" accommodation or are happy to have a bit of a walk, or get on a bus. I can't abide walking in my ski boots - though a walk in hiking boots, somewhere where you could leave boots and skis at the bottom of a lift, would be absolutely fine, and actually a good way to start and end the day. Personally I would prefer to avoid having to take buses (something I have done in both France (La Rosiere) and Austria (Alpbach)) but some people are quite happy to take a short bus ride.

Don't forget that lessons are not only for beginners - skiers at all levels can get a lot out of some good tuition.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DIY trip to a nice resort in Salzburgerland, Austria (e.g. Zell am See/Saalbach/Maria Alm/Leogang), dep. 11th Jan.

Gatwick - Salzburg - £108 p.p. return with Easyjet

In resort:
Accommodation: 2 self-catering apartments each sleeping 4 (may be single beds, but usually Austrian Twins) - €600 per apartment, so €1200 or €150 p.p
Ski school for those that need it - 5 day group lesson - approx. €150
Ski & boot rental - €100
Lift pass - €200 (beginners may be able to save by buying carnets with points rather than a full lift pass)
Airport Transfer to/from resort with Holiday Shuttle VIP 8-seat minibus - €210 each way, so €420 or €52.50 p.p.
Total costs in resort - approx. €650 per person, or £590.

Total cost for trip - £590 + £108 = £698 p.p. plus food.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

While I am happy to look at Crystal, Total Ski, Mark Warner and Inghams and have been doing so,
Pete, I'm not sure about the others, but looking at MW I really can't see you getting away with much less than £1500 for a week. The lowest brochure price is 1080, and by the time you have added on a lift pass at circa £232 and ski hire at £85 then you haven't got a lot left for drinks, lunch etc.

As others have said you might look at renting a chalet/apartment direct. Maybe driving out if you can get enough of you in a large enough vehicle. Flights are enticingly cheap, but the transfers can be crippling.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year Neilsons, Inghams etc. were offering a discount 25% of one adult holiday from the total (in Jaunary for a part of Cool. When I used to organize bigger trips of 15-20 people we would usually end up getting 1- 2 free places thrown in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
Last year Neilsons, Inghams etc. were offering a discount 25% of one adult holiday from the total price (in January for a part of 8 ). When I used to organize bigger trips of 15-20 people we would usually end up getting 1- 2 free places thrown in.
latest report
It all depends on your priorities really. If you don't mind a cheap catered chalet, wait until you can get a booking with a TO for around £400, add a beginner's pack and your mate's sorted. For instance a Crystal chalet in Canazei, Italy (used due to personal familiarity rather than specific suitability, though it wouldn't be a bad choice for you) is about £550 mid January. Risk waiting until they knock £200 off and you're in budget. Depends on your nerves, I suppose Toofy Grin

I agree that you'll generally get a better, more personal service with independent operators, but I'm not sure that you get it within the £700 budget because you will be paying the same for your accommodation and food as you would for a package from a TO. This evens out at the point where TOs put their prices up significantly, but smaller operators less so, so you pay the same or less to DIY but for a better service.

Is 4-star food important? Or would you rather all your mates can come too? Figure out the must-haves and it will be easier to narrow down your search.

Edit: Mucking about on TO websites made this take longer than expected and resulted in several cross posts! I'm not deliberately trying to contradict you all!
latest report
Well from what you have all said I am thinking maybe Flaine with UCPA in January is a good UCPA resort, affordability is good, some social life. The only concern is any couples in the group who may want their own room or something. One day another year when money flows more freely I will get a chalet with a hot tub and things!

So I guess my view is having the friends there is more important than 4 start food and price does play a part, ideally I would be in a chalet or hotel with twin and double rooms but people matter more.
snow conditions
Quote:

The only concern is any couples in the group who may want their own room or something.

Flaine is one of the UCPA centres where you can get double rooms - my daughter and her BF went for that, at a very modest extra cost, and had a balcony and a great view.
ski holidays
and you can travel to flaine by coach, which is another cost-saver - so different members of the group could travel separately if they have different budgets.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
and you can travel to flaine by coach, which is another cost-saver - so different members of the group could travel separately if they have different budgets.

Pam, others will be welcome to go by coach for cost saving you make a good point but I will be flying to Geneva.
snow report
Pete_Berks, your mate on a tight budget will probably not be able to get a flight and transfer within his budget, I reckon, even with a UCPA holiday.
snow report
Sorry I didnt mean to be off with you at all Pam_w. You make a good point and I may consider the coach if it makes a big difference for myself.
snow conditions
Pete_Berks, Are you set on catered of some description? £700.00 should be fairly doable if you are prepared to cook and eat pizza a lot.

Copy of our spring slide (Les Contamines) this year with current prices

Gatwick-GVA - £60.00 return
Car hire - £160....takes 4 peoples, so £40.00 each
Self catering apartment - £275 sleeps 5 (4 really) so £70.00 each
Lift passes £155.00

6 morning lessons - £100.00
ski and boot hire - £55

so £480.00.....leaving you £220.00 to eat drink and be merry. Drinkable wine is about 2 euro a bottle, take out pizza was about 7 or 8 euro, so you can have pizza and 6 bottles of wine every night and still have £100.00 for lunch/snacks/more beer

edit ......or you could cook some nights Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Thornyhill, Self catering is an option but I my current thinking having looked at flights the £60 ones Gatwick to GVA don't include baggage so about 80-100 with bags. The car hire is an interesting option as that would reduce the transfer cost for people. However I guess at the end I look at the cost of UCPA £500~ for a week in Flaine and I am not sure I can get the lessons, accommodation, ski hire, lift pass and food all in for that price independently. Also it makes the group more manageable for me.
ski holidays
Quote:

Also it makes the group more manageable for me.

this is a very good point, going with a gang of mates rather than a family. Full board, bar on the premises with reasonable costs, plenty of people around, excellent tuition. When my daughter went to UCPA in flaine it was half term (they are both teachers) and the snow was very poor. So the higher parts of the Grand massif were very crowded and pistes slick and fast. That was just bad luck, but going out of high season makes everything easier, and normally there is plenty of room to spread out in that area. They were extremely impressed with the value for money at UCPA though there were some young teenage girls (British, sadly) who were silly and noisy and behaving like brats which made my teacher daughter have to bite her tongue!
latest report
Pete_Berks wrote:
Thornyhill, Self catering is an option but I my current thinking having looked at flights the £60 ones Gatwick to GVA don't include baggage so about 80-100 with bags.

We do hand luggage only...including 4 pairs of boots. Don't take a pile of crap that you will just transport there and back Smile

That said, I might have a look at UCPA for next one. Seems very reasonable
ski holidays
Hi there,

I can suggest Chalet Chardons in Tignes @ £150.00 Which is half board!

Snow express from London @ £150.00

Ski hire £80.00

Ski Pass £200.00

That should leave you with enough money for lessons
snow report
If you'd prefer the security of a tour operator, go direct to the likes of Crystal and phone their "Groups" section for the keenest price. Their ski hire and ski pass can be booked at not a bad cost but has to be done while booking. We went to the Challet Vanadis in Selva or to the Hotel Baita in Sauze D'Oulx at keen prices. Soll in Austria might suit you too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the help but it is looking like I will probably either do the PSB or something independent with Action Outdoors - if anyone wants company and fancies Flaine then let me know!
snow report
May I suggest that you have a look at snowcoach. From what I can see from their brochure they offer trips to Places like Valoire and Val Cenis, ski resorts that very much meet your requirements. A quick glance at their brochure shows the week beginning 4/1/14 to Valmeinier costs £418, ski hire etc £54 for beginners skis and I guess about £180 for a lift pass. Add in £60 for your ski lessons and you are pretty close to the £700 budget. To shave more off the budget only ski for 7 days instead of 8.

It appears that 7 evening meals are included in the price and there appear to be lots of discounts and free places available. You will need to phone them or visit the ski show and talk to them.
snow report
We are going back to sportiv OBERGURGL from Gatwick on sat 11th January. Great spa facilities, excellent ski school, pretty place, we have paid 630 for twin room with bath, etc with crystal ski. Welcome to join us. Cheers v
snow conditions
We are going back to sportiv OBERGURGL from Gatwick on sat 11th January. Great spa facilities, excellent ski school, pretty place, we have paid 630 for twin room with bath, etc with crystal ski. Welcome to join us. Cheers v
snow conditions
ski holidays
ski holidays
ski holidays
badgerlover, does that price include lift pass? I assume plus flights too?
ski holidays
If you want a cheap and cheerful trip with in house hire try Alpenrider in Kirchberg, you wont get much sleep but great value and good fun Razz
snow report
Thanks for all the advice, I have some friends I will be joining doing UCPA in Les Arcs at New Year which should be good, just a shame it isnt one of the more luxurious UCPA resorts.
latest report
Good choice.
snow conditions
December 7th anyone?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy