Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japow 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lazily considering the prospect, if I can swing it at work, of a mini-season next year. Probably 6-8 weeks would be fave. Jan/Feb. Is this doable or do rents on rooms not really work out like that? Best bets for resorts with/without car hire? I know we've had Japow threads before but can someone point me at the best summaries?

I know there are some other sHs who've talked about this in the past, anyone else still in the cogitation stage?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm planning to go around mid-Jan, either 3 weeks based in Niseko (prolly Black Diamond Lodge) or 2 weeks to include a guided road trip or similar.

That's based on budget and the fact I'll be solo, if other SH's are likely to be about and game for hooking up, I'd be really keen to do a private road trip or apartment share or something though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 3-07-13 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't find powder last time I went.

Niseko has a low altitude, peaked at 1308m above sea level, so the snow was rock hard in the morning and slushy in the afternoon. That may be due to I visited it in March.

However the snow was different and lack the normal hard pack depth of those in the Alps. So I found turning consumed much more energy than I normal have to in the Alps and USA. I only spent time in Neseko (Linked together by 4 sides to a common peak). It is quite small by the European standard with just 48km piste. Its Annupuri, Higashiyama, Hirafu and Hanazono are just 4 different sides of one mountain. It is a from cry from many Alpine resorts some of which the lowest point start from 2000m or have 2km vertical drop or 200+km piste. As a comparison to similar layout the Kronplatz of the Italian Dolomites has 116km piste and access by 5 godolas from different sides of one mountains but it starts at about 1000mat the bottom and peaks at 2275m. The ski Welt in Austria is of course much larger with 280km piste joined at the top by 8 satellite areas of Going, Ellmau, Schefrau, Soll, Iter, Hopengarten, Westerndroff and Brixen with modest peaks between 1600 to 1800m.

It is still a nice place to ski with a totally different mountain restaurants and very friendly skiers and boarders. Mid January is possibly a good time to strike. The airport operate a regular transfer bus services that take about 3 hours so do coincide the arrival time conveniently with the transfer bus schedule.

There is still a lot of discussions to avoid skiing there after the tsuami/nuclear fallout.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm kinda of pondering it, but much more likely to go in 2015. Looking at the comments from saikee, yep all points to mull over esp for the fretful, but Niesko is but one morsel of the Japanese scene.

Seeking advice from MikePow and Mag7 would be my starting pt for any next trip...

From my Niseko experience perhaps the biggest benefit of buddying up with others is to sort and spread costs of guiding to places that others rarely reach.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I once bought a pair of skis from MagSeven when he worked for Soul X so he owes me free guiding for a season right? (if I've got the right person of course)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
I think I once bought a pair of skis from MagSeven when he worked for Soul X so he owes me free guiding for a season right? (if I've got the right person of course)

Wow, very random, that's going back a few years! Yep, free Hokkaido guiding included with every purchase. (Terms and conditions apply, exluding some ski areas, and days when I have to work) But in all seriousness, do drop me a line if you're going to be in central Hokkaido.

Niseko is the obvious choice for a base as it's convenient, has tons of accomodation and is very easy for English speakers. But it's getting busier and busier every year. As I also said in clarky999's thread, you should try to spend some time around Sapporo and Asahikawa as they have a number of smaller ski areas which get the snow but not the crowds.

Hire car is easy, most major companies have English lines. Driving can be slow going in the snow but isn't too much of a challenge once you're used to it. All cars will be AWD and equipped with snow tyres, and probably an English satnav. Not too sure on long term rooms rental etc, MikePow might be the guy to ask on that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tempting Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MagSeven, Cheers.

You seem to hit a lot of areas in the season - is there some kind of grand Hokkaido season superpass or does a pass at particular places get you days at a number of others (like the Mont Bland Unlimited)?

Done plenty of snow driving in 2wd so little Subies or Toyota 4wd will be a doddle.

^ Left in typo so as to mark myself as an arrogant tosser when it comes to one of the wonders of the mechanical access world wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 4-07-13 10:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a K Winter Pass which covers 5 areas, Nov to May (Teine, Rusutsu, Sahoro, Mt Racey and Nakayama Touge).

There is another system which covers most of the other ski areas, (including Niseko) called the Hokkaido Ski Season Net. If you have a season pass for one of the areas, you get a discount at all the other areas covered.

I get the K Pass as my closest larger hills are Teine and Racey, and Rusutsu is within reach for a day trip. I did have a season pass at Kamui Ski Links in 2010/11, which was great value at 35,000. But they've since reintroduced tolls on the expressway which made driving up there expensive, and their season is significantly shorter.

The Niseko Season pass isn't cheap. I believe Mike Pow gets the Kiroro pass, which is cracking value especially at the early bird price. It's part of the Ski Season Net, so it gives discounts at most other hills.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MagSeven, Interesting - struggling a bit with google translate on the K pass website - what's the difference between Premium, Gold and Standard?

Do earlybird typically expire October/November?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The extra bits you get with the gold and platinum are things like discounts for mates, discounted hire, parking spaces closer to the lifts, a free locker, and use of the K-Lounge (pretty average lounges in the lodge buildings with comfier chairs and free tea)

I've only ever had the standard. I don't think the extra bits are worth the extra cost. We're still able to get discounts for friends which is handy. The VIP parking spots would be nice, but its a rare day when you can't park very close to the lift or lodge. I think the early bird period is up until Nov 10th.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
theBongolian did a longer stay 2 seasons back renting a house just outside Hirafu Village for 2 months.

Longer term rentals are very doable and affordable outside of the village. Need a car, but being there for that amount of time a car is essential to get the best out of the resorts and conditions.

I get the Kiroro season pass for approx JPY 35,000 (day rate is JPY 5,000) which gives me discounts at a number of resorts.

Going to spend more time at Niseko Moiwa next season too.

Their season pass is approx JPY 25,000 (day rate is JPY 3,500)

If you're going to spend most of your time in Niseko United and hike then getting the 50 hour pass works out the best value.

For your proposed duration there are loads of places to visit

Niseko United
Niseko Moiwa
Rusutsu
Kiroro
Sapporo Kokusai
Teine

Then road trip north for:

Kamui
Sahoro
Tomamu
Asahidake
Mt Racey

Fire away with more questions if you have them.

Also look here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101009
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blimey - fantasy plans getting a dose of reality - car hire through holiday autos (using the link) is £290 a week for a tiny Kia Piccanto size. So £2,300 for 8 weeks, more than double what a bigger car would cost elsewhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, definitely worth dropping thebongolian a pm. He actually stayed in one of the backpackers lodges in Hirafu for his season (think this worked out pretty well for him), but he did rent a van for quite a while so might be able to help on that front.

For my 2p, a road trip is a great fun but not cheap and not the most efficient use of your time (accommodation can be hard to find near smaller resorts, so we often seemed to lose an hour or so of skiing time each day driving to our chosen resort). If you're there for 6-8 weeks then you've got plenty of time to get around...and you'll have the most amazing time Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://nisekoauto.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy