Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New gopro (not a rumour) but a new rumour...page 3

Poster: A snowHead
Rumour mongers have it that a revised version of the HD3-Black will be released in September. No specifics yet, and take this with whatever size pinch of salt you like, but anyone considering buying a HD3-Black around that time may want to hold fire.

Also they are about to release version 2.0 of the app which will allow access to the file structure on the HD3 platform so you can download directly from the Camera to phone/tablet.

and to boot, they are about to update the Cineform software that will have more editing feature and some predefined editing templates in it, so you can drop a load of clips into a predefined template and then just move the sliders around to select the bits in each section.

more info on the app and editing studio can be found here :- http://gizmodo.com/gopro-software-update-hands-on-easier-sharing-awesome-512879804

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-10-13 20:45; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ansta1, is the cineform model dependent or can it be used on any of the gropro's. ie if i purchased a black now i would still be able to use the new cineform when it was released?
thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep, any gopro will be just fine. (famous last words)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A new version of the (edited typo HD2 to HD3)HD3 firmware has been released and a new version of the official IOS and Andriod app. Aside from bug fixes key updates are as follows :-

This camera software update provides the following additional features and fixes:
•Enables compatibility with new GoPro App features
•Corrects HDMI TV preview from low res to high res
•Fixes forced exposure lock on 0.5 and 1 second time-lapse intervals
•Optimizes compatibility with select microSD cards by reducing data stream rate to 35Mb/sec while recording in 4K, 2.7K and Protune™ modes (HERO3: Black Edition only).

App updates :-

What’s New in Version 2.0
• View photos and play back videos*
• Copy photos and videos* to a GoPro album on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
• Share the photos and videos* copied to your device via email, text, Instagram, Facebook® or other app
• Browse and delete files on the camera’s memory card

* Select video modes only. Compatibility varies by device.

(added for clarity) - There is also a new version of the HD2 firmware also for those still using those camera, usual gopro warning applies update the firmware at your own peril.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What software would you suggest to use to edit Go Pro Black videos? Free would be nice but if it has to be something that you pay for, what is good value for money?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Assuming Windows and not Apple based hardware

Free - Windows Movie Maker
Cheap Ulead Video Studio pro or Sony vegas (both of which get a 30 days free trial if you download)

or wait and get the new Cineform Studio software which should hopefully be out anytime soon and give you most of the functionality that you would need.

If you can't wait, I'd suggest running the gopro videos through Cineform and outputting to AVI before using the none cineform editors first as the Gopro H.264 software can cause the occasional hang up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Ansta.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1, My contour just died when the waterproof case leaked on it's first use. With the sad news of contour apparently closing I am looking at the GoPro.

I wonder if you've heard anything more about the September update, is it an update, a new model, and any idea of pricing?

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not that impressed with my Contour tbh. I did buy on price as I don't use it it that much but the results aren't great. The goggle mount is very unstable and other mountings are expensive for what they are.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
all just rumour and speculation as of right now, also as contour is no more i guess gopro wont be in as much of a rush now to release an update (even if contour only had about 1/10th of the market that gopro did).

still plenty of other options out there other than gopro, even though i still maintain that the image quality of the gopro has pretty much always been top of the pile.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recently bought a Sony ActionCam - very similar to the Go Pro. I chose the sony over the go pro as I thought the image looked pretty much as good as the GP3 black, it has really good image stabilisation, and I prefer the form factor - its similar to a bullet cam.

Sony do two versions the AS-10 and AS-15, the only difference is the 15 has WiFi.

I picked up a new AS-10 for about £140
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've heard that there are issues with the go pro interfering with transceivers.
It might have been mentioned elsewhere but thought it was worth a mention here.
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2012/11/19/issw-2012-avalanche-beacons-and-electrical-interference/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The quick version:

"His first finding was that these electronic devices have no affect on a transmitting beacon, which is consistent with our experience"

"He definitely reinforces what we’ve been saying for years: keep your searching beacon at arm’s length!"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, seeing as it's nearly September, what's the latest from the GoPro rumour mill saying about a possible new release????
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nothing firm yet, but Abe http://abekislevitz.com/ who is one of gopro's main men when it comes to editing their promo vids has gone very quiet, word is he may be on a big project but its not official still just rumours, he could just be on vacation. its been nearly 11 months since their last major hardware release. My guess is that we will see something before xmas, but it may well be a high end gopro rather than a consumer device.

Some folks have hacked the firmware and can see lots of other stuff 4k @ 24fps as an example (currently only capable of 15fps which is pretty useless) but the current hd3 black runs way too hot when used hard, 1440 @ 48fps with protune on will probably let you fry an egg.
ski holidays
nothing concrete as of yet, but spme of the larger retailers have started price cutting. Could be a sign of something on the cards in terms of a replacment.

gopro hd hero 3 black plus........
latest report
Sounds like better battery life would be a good thing.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Sounds like better battery life would be a good thing.

it would be nice, but it's not the end of the world as it stands for most peoples uses, especially if they carry an extra battery or two.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
nothing concrete as of yet, but spme of the larger retailers have started price cutting. Could be a sign of something on the cards in terms of a replacment.

gopro hd hero 3 black plus........

Thanks for the update.....hopefully gopro3 black prices will tumble and I can snap on up if the next release is aimed at the pros!
snow report
Prices of the black are dropping Smile best buy in the states have them at $329 plus $20 tax..That equates to a total of £225 for a brand new black edition...guess who is going to be in the states in 5 weeks Laughing Laughing Laughing

cant buy a second hand one from flea bay UK for that price - only down side is that US gopro have a 12month warranty compared to EU models which have 24 months - that is assuming you still have a gopro serial number with a unit purchased in the UK, most resellers are removing them and providing their own 12 month warranty.

I have spoken with Gopro uk and they have said they will try and help with any warranty issues if i can provide evidence of genuine purchase outside the UK so i think i will be investing in a black when i'm in the states - Unless anyone has any thoughts on this being a bad idea. Puzzled
latest report
MogulMonkey, the prices are dropping because in all likelihood there is a new version out shortly. When asked a similar question last year just after the HD3 came out I said for most people the HD2 at a discounted price would be the one to be with. The video quality, options and features was more than enough for most folks needs.

IMHO the same applies now, if you need and want the features of the HD3 get one, but I'd probably wait till just after the new one is release as that is when the biggest discounts are likely to appear across the whole retail estate as retailers with backstop will want to get most of them out quickly.

There is still a big degree of speculation as to whether the new model will be aimed at a higher level (in which case it won't affect the con or pro-sumer market as much) or if it will be a replacement for the current HD3 model. If it's the latter and the new model is competitively priced then I think the HD3 will drop a bit more as retailers try to dump their older stock.

At the time of the HD3 release, if you had bought a HD2 within a period close to the announcement GOPRO were offering a buy back deal on HD2's because so many people got stung.

If you need the camera now, go and buy one, if you can wait till October then that is what I would be doing.
ski holidays
New version of the sony on its way, with GPS

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/09/sony-action-cam-redux-lets-try-again-this-time-with-built-in-gps/
snow report
tiffin wrote:
New version of the sony on its way, with GPS

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/09/sony-action-cam-redux-lets-try-again-this-time-with-built-in-gps/

good, but still can't see it worrying gopro much based on the specs.
snow report
I love the GoPros, but they are never going to make up the bulk of your ski film. I bought a Sony CX730 last year & took it skiing, & the image stabilizer & pictures are amazing! Even the sound from the built in mic is pretty good, and 5.1 surround!

This chap did a cool video showing off the camera on skis, and there's GoPro footage in there so you can see the difference between stabilised & not:

http://youtube.com/v/bac0m_V3iTE
Same guy from: http://skiingcameraman.com/
He's a pro, so I guess he looks at things a bit differently, but the footage is still stunning.

The new Sony ActionCam looks worth a punt though, especially with a better stabilizer & smaller bulk. I wonder if the battery lasts longer than a Hero 3 Black?
latest report
Never realised that the image stabilization would be so obvious however i am not sure i would want to use something like the CX730 - way to big.

It would have been interesting to see the film made up of a gopro and another comparable headcam type camera that uses image stabilization.

I noticed that it was a gopro hero and not a gopro 3 model - could this have added to the clear division of image stability between the gopro parts of the clip and the sony parts of the film?
ski holidays
Quote:

I noticed that it was a gopro hero and not a gopro 3 model - could this have added to the clear division of image stability between the gopro parts of the clip and the sony parts of the film?

Not directly. Though if it was the hero2 and not the 3 then image quality wouldn't have been as good as the 3. Plus there was no reason that stabilisation couldn't have been added post processing to the hero footage. A lot also would depend on exactly where and how it was mounted. obviously the Sony was hand held whereas the go pro could have been mounted somewhere that the 'shake' was accentuated somewhat.
snow conditions
MogulMonkey, the Sony action camera has image stabilization.

http://youtube.com/v/0WCXR1sI0Lk

The video above is comparing Apples and Oranges a bit. A helmet mounted GoPro is not the best way of doing that follow cam style shot even using a ski pole mount held with two hands is orders of magnitude better. Then there are a bazillion variations around this theme:

http://www.steadicamcurve.com/

Personally I like the lack of image stabilization for POV footage as it gives a better feeling of connectedness ala:
HERO3 Test- around JH from Andrew Whiteford
http://vimeo.com/52214380
latest report
maybe true...

http://stoked.com/blog/3413/gopro-hd-hero-4-specs/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1080p at 120fps is just awesome in such a teensy camera. Everything in slow motion... Everything.
ski holidays
Massive impressive in my mind is 4K at 30FPS. Even the Hero 3 Black only manages 15 FPS, which I've found works amazingly for time lapses but not much else. 30FPS opens the door to a whole myriad of possibilities.

Safe to say if the specs are as impressive as mentioned, I might well be selling my H3 Black and picking up a H4...
snow conditions
rasmanisar wrote:
Massive impressive in my mind is 4K at 30FPS. Even the Hero 3 Black only manages 15 FPS, which I've found works amazingly for time lapses but not much else. 30FPS opens the door to a whole myriad of possibilities.

Safe to say if the specs are as impressive as mentioned, I might well be selling my H3 Black and picking up a H4...

indeed, just need the 4k TV to watch it all on. Imagine Franzclammer going through the drills in full 4k, awsome.
ski holidays
Awesomely useless. Most peoples HDTVs are too high resolution for their size and viewing distance right now. No point adding more pixels if you can't perceive the ones already there! Toofy Grin
latest report
meh wrote:
Awesomely useless. Most peoples HDTVs are too high resolution for their size and viewing distance right now. No point adding more pixels if you can't perceive the ones already there! Toofy Grin

true but with the price of 4k resolutions screens dropping it won't be too long before they are more commonplace. Any anyone watching a DVD on a HD TV is already viewing at a quality lower than the screen can handle (unless it's upscaled by the TV)
ski holidays
ansta1, its more the case that humans can't perceive the pixels on an average 1080p screen at normal viewing distances (effectively making the viewed resolution lower) so upping the resolution of the TV to 4K and leaving everything else the same will not result in a clearer or better image. Although it's great if you're only sat a few cm from the screen, which would also be ridiculous. The human eye is way more sensitive to luminosity so getting a screen with a good contrast ratio is much, much more important than whether or not it's 4K or even 1080p in a lot of cases.
ski holidays
meh, very true also, but one advantage of 4k (particularly with a fixed focal length and wide FOV like the gopro) is that you can utilise the additional pixels and zoom in if needed. Now if only the gopro could have different focal length lenses....... Oh yes it can http://ragecams.com/shop/gopro-hero2-hero3-lenses-c-72.html?osCsid=aa7348aba7244d9fdd48f32b3a7d7ed1
snow report
http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio

New version of the GoPro free software now does basic editing.
latest report
thanks Meh, a bit delayed from my original post timeline but still good to know its now releases. downloaded and will have a play later tonight.
snow conditions
The official (but unoffical) line is that Mid Oct is the release date. At least that's what the gopro sales reps are saying to retail customers so they can start to push there old stock a little.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:

There is still a big degree of speculation as to whether the new model will be aimed at a higher level (in which case it won't affect the con or pro-sumer market as much) or if it will be a replacement for the current HD3 model. If it's the latter and the new model is competitively priced then I think the HD3 will drop a bit more as retailers try to dump their older stock.

Any updates on where they are pitching this new model at? I will probably be going for a 3 black from the states on route to hawaii and not sure if I should get my daughter to buy one now(she lives in USA) or wait till i get there on 17/10 anticipating that the prices will drop further if it is a replacement to the 3 black edition.

thanks
snow report
not really all just speculation and Rumour atm...

it will be one of 2 things would be my guess

Go high end and start to eat into the other markets look at 2 or 3 times the existing price.

or

major update of the existing platform and software but still aimed at the same market (eg sub £400).

The problem they have with option 1 is it limits their potential market a bit in my view as most people who want a POV camera are unlikely to spend £600-£1000 on a camera for occasional use. The problem with option 2 is it will have to be something pretty special, as aside from the few teething troubles with the 3 range in terms of card and software, is that its a damn fine camera.

They may look at interchangeable lenses, they will almost certainly whatever run 4k at 30fps, but this may need a rethink as micro SD cards can't really handly the data rate. There is lots of talk right now, but its exactly that talk. I have seen nothing concrete from the folks I speak to who are close to gopro.

The fact that Gopro and other retailers are discounting the existing models does suggest it will be the latter (a new model aimed at the every day joe), but there is some confusion as some of the existing accessories are also starting to show discounts which may suggest a new form factor as well.

Sorry I can't provide a more definitive position and even if I did have some inside info it's more it's likely I'd be under an NDA or threat of death..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy