Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving/Park: 5th Element Darwin Skis (161cm) or Salomon Ripper Skis (160cm)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm an intermediate skier and I'm looking at buying my first pair of new skis online(I owned a pair of ex-rental). While I like to ski all mountain, I like in particular to carve on intermediate runs and do a few spins in the park. So how do these two compare?

In particular:
1) I notice the shorter turn radius of the Darwin so can I say the Darwin is a better carver? How does this on the other hand affect my experience in the park?

2) What about the widths? How do they compare?

3) I've heard nothing about 5th Element so I wonder if they worth the money in general?

4) All in all, do they focus more on one style or the other, or are they quite similar really (the seller defines the Ripper as freestyle skis with )? Is there anything else to consider? (Does construction really matter?)

5) I'm 163cm and 55kg so I assume the lengths are good for me, considering they are both twin-tip?

The Specs:
Skis: Salomon Ripper Skis | 5th Element Darwin Skis
Ski Bindings:: Salomon Z 11 Wide Brake Ski Bindings | Salomon Z 11 Wide Brake Ski Bindings
Type: Freestyle Skis | All-Mountain Skis (75-90)
Tip/Waist/Tail Widths: 122/85/112mm (@ 161cm) | 115/85/106mm
Turn Radius: 16-20 | 11-15
Actual Turn Radius @ Specified Length: 16.3m (@ 161cm) | -
Tail Profile: Twin | Twin
Construction Type: Cap | Sidewall
Rocker: Camber | Camber
Core Material: Composite | Wood
Base Material: Sintered | Extruded

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Logan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
messaged removed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 17-10-13 6:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^^ Someone posted spam, now deleted.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 19-10-13 0:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ Someone posted spam, now deleted.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 19-10-13 0:48; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually I'm also very curious about those ski options. Beeing an intermediate myself I am also looking to buy some (my first) skis and these look like a very reasonable option.
There are some kits as well (with these) that look very nice indeed.

Let's wait to see what the experts have to say

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
loganfong, I assume you're quite young? These look like kids skis.

Shorter turn radius doesn't mean it turns/carves better, just means it is designed to make smaller turns. Whether that's good or bad totally depends on you and your style!

I don't know the skis you refer to at all, but, one seems to be wood core and sidewall construction (good!), the other composite core and cap construction (*usually* means cheap and poor quality), if that helps at all...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy