Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CSIA to get the ISIA Card

Poster: A snowHead
I hear on the grapevine that the Canadians have approached the ISIA to be granted card status and that they have been inspected and are in the final throws of getting approval. Just thought I would pass on as many here are advised not to go down the CSIA route as their licenses arent widely accepted outside of Canada. I dont know if members will need to do extra modules or what. for the stamp they need an avalanche training module and first aid course in addition to the L3 award..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
xx

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-04-16 22:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CSIA Level 1 = 18 hrs
CSIA Level 2 = 30 hrs
CSIA Level 3 = 42 hrs

So that's 90 hrs of on snow time.

Can't remember how many hrs of classroom time I did for those, maybe 1 per day.

So that's another 15 hrs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where does the ISIA card actually help you work? I know in Argentina they are quite strict about equivalencies, but anywhere else?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like that is for the stamp, not the card. The ISIA has two levels, stamp is the first level and card the top level. Currently about 15 nations in ISIA can issue the card.

PSG
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is the details from ISIA on stamp and card http://www.isiaski.org/download/rules/Minimumstandard_en.pdf

PSG
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmer, The Card is fairly new, Switzerland is main ski area that it is recognised within Europe, A BASI or Irish L4 gives you card status that can be used to gain a Swiss Patente. I believe Japan has gotten card status for their top certs and NZ as well. They are running an ISIA tech test in Cardrona in Sept. sharpen your GS boards and get down there Wink

Also, the Eurotest was meant to become THE standard for equivalence within the EU but after a pilot programme last year has failed to attract enough countries to vote it into law so things may change and the ISIA Stamp and Card may gain some recognition but who knows...

the political problem is that France, Austria and parts of Italy are at war with the ISIA as they dont control the board nor the standards. Typically BASI are siding with the French while saying in public they are supportive of the ISIA pyramid structure of qualifications. Confusing eh...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges wrote:
See here http://www.snowpro.com/en/membership/isia-requirements.html

320 hours? That's about 8 week-long courses I think. Didn't know the CSIA even offered that many courses Confused

Not just CSIA though, CSCF (racing), CASI (snowboard), CSGS (back country), CANSI (Nordic). You get your proficiency badges from all over the place in Canada Smile.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
xx

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-04-16 22:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges wrote:
Kenny, question is how does CSIA expect members to reach 320 hours? Pay all their different branches/affiliates to do loads of courses? Works out more expensive and time-consuming than BASI. And that's saying something. Truth I reckon is very few CSIAers bother.

I agree and quite frankly ISIA is irrelevant for the vast majority of Canadian instructors because they don't need it to get year round work. However every qualification you have increases your basic pay and your likelihood of getting work. The courses are exceptional value IMHO. I did the CSCF level 1 a couple of years ago and for significantly less than the cost of a 1 day private lesson I got 3 days (and evenings) with a coach who had 20 years coaching the US and Canadian national teams.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe for many instructors the ISIA stamp is irrelevant as they are already working in a vibrant industry that does not export ski teachers.

The ISIA stamp / or card will serve a purpose for instructors wanting to move around the globe. Plus it does get you various discounts with lift tickets etc.

I think another factor in holding the stamp / or card is that as a personal achievement you can reference your education level against other associations. You have reached a “standard” which is recognised as a professional level.

I have skied with many ISIA licence holders from many nations. One thing that is clear, although all different they all performed to a good standard.

From an employers point of view instructors with ISIA should have completed the minimum training hours and education. This is useful to know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, it still doesn't seem worth the effort to get the card, I have the stamp and have more than enough work in both hemispheres. I'm kind of tempted to go back to NZ sometime, but Chile is really so much better.

Does anyone on here have the card? Has it proved worthwhile?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the card ( through BASI and also IASI). I know the Swiss issue it to their top certs and it is well recognised there. There are 15 other bations who issue it in the ISIA family as I know of.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmer, yeah I hear you on that, until the card gets some traction and is more widely recognised may not be worth the hassle but on the other hand as gilleski says an L4 badge cant hurt your prospects and if you get your tech pass in early before your knees are buggred could be good for the future earnings

where is your stamp from ? basi ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, Oh for sure if it was run anywhere near me I would give it a crack, but as far as I know there's no races run on Hokkaido or in Chile so it's a bit of a moot point. I have my stamp through the NZSIA, I actually emailed BASI about what I'd have to do change systems but they didn't get back to me Confused
latest report
jimmer, try giving the office a call. My understanding is that to switch to BASI they ask you to go back one level, so you would get exemptions from L1 and L2 but need to do L3.
ski holidays
jimmer, You could also try emailing IASI they seem to have a better policy on granting equivalence than BASI do. If you are interested in obtaining the Card, in BASI you must do the Eurotest, they dont recognise the ISIA test. IASI offer two exits at L4, if you pass all the modules and the ISIA tech test you get an L4 and ISIA Card, if you pass the Eurotest you get an ISTD, ISIA Card and EuroSki Pro license and you are sorted within Europe.

http://www.iasisnowsports.ie/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy