Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Article on Sports Nutrition in the BJSM

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's an interesting article in the current edition of the British Journal of Sports Medicine challenging some of the traditional core concepts of sports nutrition.

Basically, over-hydration is far more dangerous than dehydration, but more interesting, a low carb diet is better than a high carb diet. Fat's a better fuel store than glycogen so the idea of carb loading might not be the most effective method of fuelling up.

In addition, the way carbs trigger insulin creation affects both how quickly we feel full but also how much of an insulin resistance we build up.

I have the article in PDF format if anyone fancies a read.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feef, I could be keen to have a look if you could pass it on. Cheers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef, I'd appreciate that too, as a diabetic I take a fair interest in many aspects of sports nutrition.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/11/663.full
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really interesting thank you for that !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This links up with the "What breakfast before cycling thread" and the concept of not carbo loading.........
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg wrote:
This links up with the "What breakfast before cycling thread" and the concept of not carbo loading.........

From the article, I guess not:

Quote:
What is unclear is whether a high fat low carbohydrate diet is appropriate for athletes in intermittent high-intensity sports such as football or road cycling.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
rogg wrote:

From the article, I guess not:

Quote:
What is unclear is whether a high fat low carbohydrate diet is appropriate for athletes in intermittent high-intensity sports such as football or road cycling.

I think it depends on the kind of cycling. If I was going out for a 100 mile, 7 hr ride, then I'd consider it to be a pretty endurance focussed event. If it was my regular 20 mile route, deliberately chosen for as much varied terrain and exercise zones as I can manage in these flat lands, then you're right, it's probably not going to make much difference.

However, as a low-carb diet looks like it might benefit everyone then it wouldn't do any harm to follow that diet in general with a little bit of carb loading prior to high intensity workouts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I wouldn't compare those two myself. I know there's always a downhill to catch your breath on, but I'd have thought that big climbs on a road bikes would be more about endurance. Same for very long flat sections if you're trying a bit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to eat quiet a lot of carbs but not really take too much notice of how much protein I was eating while keeping fat intake to a minimum. Changed my diet by increasing protein intake and "healthy fat" (mostly from nuts). Go boxing trainning twice a week which is a high intensity 2 hour workout. Eat a lot less carbs but do take ready made Energy drink (e.g. Gatorade) diluted with water (50/50) including a sprinkle of sea salt, during and immediatley after training. Appears to have made a real difference and I can keep going a lot longer than I used to. The younger members have even suspected I have been taking something from Lance Armstrong's cookbook. (I also mix a small amount of amino acids into the sports drink and some thought the white powder wasn't so Koscher lol !)

Used to think nuts were a poor man's protein until someone pointed out to me that's what Gorillas eat (they weigh around 20 to 30 stone).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, i don't look at my diet too scientifically but I am way happier and more alert on a carb reduced regime. I have no idea how I'd survive in the U.S. Or Canada based on most recent experiences.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy