Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is it about lift queues.....

Poster: A snowHead
That just seems to bring out the worst in some people?

We had our weekly ski in the fridge at Milton Keynes yesterday. There was one chap who just would not stop loudly moaning about the 'bloody kids' pushing in on the lift queue (they weren't pushing in, they there were on a lesson, and lessons take priority on the lift), and how ridiculous it was that you 'come to ski for an hour, and spend half of it in the lift queue' (if that's the case then there is definitely something wrong with the way he is queuing!).

If it wasn't moaning minnies, it was parents yelling at their kids. Seriously, chill out people! It's not even busy in there! rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's where you went wrong.. going on a weekend. Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fenfilly, on the rare occasions I go to the MK fridge I have only had one major issue with the queues, that was when a one person in a boarding lesson just could not get the hang of getting on the drag, he/she must have had 15 or 20 goes. In my view the instructor and lifty should have kept them to one side after the first couple of goes as some people in the queue were getting a little 'testy' at having to wait.

I personally think that the lift between the main slope and the beginner slope is badly controlled as there (at least the last time I was there in Jan) doesn't appear to be a clear queue line. People seem to go either side of the plastic fence and also come in from the other (beginner slope) side randomly.

If it's busy I can certainly see some evidence of the argument for 'more time going up' than going down, but that's generally the nature of skiing, it's just that on a real mountain the gaps between going up are longer and generally done chatting while in/on a bubble/chair. That and the views are generally much better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They normally have both lifts going, but when the breakfast clubs (ski and boarding) go on their break, and the racers finish, the slope empties pretty fast. In yesterday's case, when the kids went in, there were three of us left on the slope! Understandably they then shut one lift down for fifteen minutes, until the kids come back out. At peak times and at the weekend you've either just got to avoid the place, or accept that you will have to queue. I have to go at the weekend, because that's when my little boy has his skiing session. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lesson priority when there is only one lift operating is total bs, it is basically doing over the regular punter so I'm not surprised you get a bit of 'tude. Let's face it in a snowdome it would be perfectly possible for with a few ski school groups going to never get a look in on the lift.

You always spend more time faffing or on the up than the down. At HH I reckon you can do laps at about 3 mins when its quiet of which 20 -30 secs are spent actually descending.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Out in the real mountains "priority for ski school" lanes generally stipulate "1 sur 2" which is a lot less annoying.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 1-07-13 12:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to the 'fridge in Hemel once, place was full of snowHeads, no lifts queues, but there was a queue at the bar snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
I went to the 'fridge in Hemel once, place was full of snowHeads, no lifts queues, but there was a queue at the bar snowHead

Laughing Laughing Laughing Brilliant!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Lesson priority when there is only one lift operating is total bs, it is basically doing over the regular punter so I'm not surprised you get a bit of 'tude. Let's face it in a snowdome it would be perfectly possible for with a few ski school groups going to never get a look in on the lift.

Yes, but as I said, when the lessons are in full swing, both lifts are operating, they only tend to shut one down when there is a break, and the slope clears.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess it is just general frustration much like driving in rush hr, with such slow lifts, high prices and barely 8secs a run in a fridge that frustration is going to build quickly. The few times I have skied in them is is a bit annoying having beginners miss button after button or slowly shuffling through the maze but it is something you have to accept.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
20 -30 secs are spent actually descending.

Bit slow there. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This does kind on play on what people use fridges for though - If you're just blitzing down the hill in 10 or 20 seconds doing one or two long turns then its all a bit pointless. But if you use your time for drills or learning new techniques or using the freestyle stuff, then it makes the experience much more worthwhile IMHO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
This does kind on play on what people use fridges for though - If you're just blitzing down the hill in 10 or 20 seconds doing one or two long turns then its all a bit pointless. But if you use your time for drills or learning new techniques or using the freestyle stuff, then it makes the experience much more worthwhile IMHO.

Very good point!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You think spending half the time in the queues is bad? you're clearly skiing WAY too slowly, or you're a snowboarder and you're too busy sitting down.

& You think the queues at the fridges are bad? would you rather be in something this big? & If you're looking for a solution to your queues, watch till 0:38

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2009349405597&set=vb.1599570601&type=3&theater
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mcspreader wrote:
fatbob wrote:
20 -30 secs are spent actually descending.

Bit slow there. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Even on slalom skis one run is somewhere like 10secs
snow report
....and a bit of poling to the lip, slaloming thru a ski class, dodging a prone snowboarder
ski holidays
mag1882 wrote:
You think spending half the time in the queues is bad? you're clearly skiing WAY too slowly, or you're a snowboarder and you're too busy sitting down.

& You think the queues at the fridges are bad? would you rather be in something this big? & If you're looking for a solution to your queues, watch till 0:38

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2009349405597&set=vb.1599570601&type=3&theater

There was some guy there with a beer. Maybe that's the answer to the puzzle of peaceful queuing! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy