Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return to the Tyrol after 1 yr, with a family (holiday planning complete and booked!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The title of this post does not carry much impact as the first post I made when joining this forum six months ago "Return to the Tyrol after 20 yrs, this time with a family" (link to first post here) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2236796&highlight=#2236796

Anyway, it’s that time of year where my mind wanders to ski holidays and I have begun to make my plans, amazingly all plans are complete in 48hrs, and the bookings confirmed.

To recap, my family and I are based in Dubai, and we will be holidaying in Austria with my in-laws who are based in the UK.

The major change from last years itinerary is that we are flying (UK>Vienna and Dubai>Vienna), whereas last year we all met in the UK and drove to Austria. The major reason for this is that we need to be efficient with our annual leave this year and the fact we needed a few days either side in the UK to organise the collection/drop off of the hired minibus didn’t suit us this time around. It’s a shame because we loved the road trip last year.

Flying to Vienna from Dubai is significantly cheaper than to other viable locations in the region (such as Munich), and the flight arrival/departure times in Vienna coming from UK and Dubai correlate quite well.

We have hired a Mercedes Vito 4x4 9-seater minibus from Vienna Airport (fully winterised) and will drive from Vienna to our hotel on the German/Austrian border near Kufstein, the vehicle make and model is guaranteed, not being "or similar" like normal vehicle hires. The fact the minibus is 4x4 and with winter tyres is reassuring.

Overall the holiday cost has not increased from last year, which I am pleased with.

The 4* hotel on half board basis has only increased in cost by £0.25p per person per day from 2013 rates! I have posted a review of our accommodation 'Sporthotel Wilder Kaiser'. The hotel was a 25 minute drive away from Ellmau. The review can be found here: www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g641944-d582789-r152157532-Sporthotel_Wilder_Kaiser-Oberaudorf_Bavaria.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT )

I have booked once again with Skischule Ellmau - Hartkaiser for the children. They had a great time last year, learned very quickly, and are extremely excited to be returning. I previously posted a review of our preferred ski school and ski hire shop here: www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97950

In isolation though, the ski pass price for Ski Welt has increased, I am sure we had a discounted rate from the ski hire shop last year, but discounts are not available from them this year. Any ideas if it is possible to get a discounted Ski Welt 10 in 14 day adults pass?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Matthew.lewis2, let me know when you are around perhaps we can meet up. and I can show some more of the SkiWelt. I only live about 10kms from Oberaudorf and am often in the village with friends.

I doubt if you got a discounted pass as the discounts are strictly defined - infants and children up to 6 usually free, 6 - 15 (sometimes 17) get the youth rate Adults for anyone else. Handicapped people get a discount as do certain pensioners, but the year it starts changes all the time! Age-related discounts go by the year of birth not the actual birthday by the way - so they are often asked to produce proof if there is any doubt. As I was bor towards the back end of the year I was able to get my "seniors" discount nearly 2 years in advance of achieving that age in Sölden. Sadly they have since raised the age so I have to wait again! Laughing

You will need to buy a 2-month Vignette and controls will be strict on the return ride where the B173 enters the Inntal Autobahn (A12) if they go ahead and actually take the exception away from the stretch between the border and Kufstein-Süd. That is proposed at the moment but not yet confirmed. It will come into action on the 1st December 2013 if it goes ahead.

Sounds like you are set up for an excellent holiday. Enjoy it! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue, As Matthew.lewis2 is hiring a car in Vienna it should come with the vignette; best he checks though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Matthew.lewis2, let me know when you are around perhaps we can meet up. and I can show some more of the SkiWelt. I only live about 10kms from Oberaudorf and am often in the village with friends.

Thank you for that, it would be great, I will be in touch closer to the time.

Last year I bought my vignette online and had it posted to a UK address, this year as the car is hired from Hertz in Austria it should come with a vignette, but if not, i'll get one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy