Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two weeks in Australia and NZ this September - where would you recommend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm thinking of heading down to Australia/NZ this September to see friends but would also like to do as much skiing as possible. Wondered if anyone could recommend the best resorts to go to in this relatively short amount of time. I'm guessing NZ is best for skiing but wouldn't mind sampling the Australian skiing scene too.
Also, what's September generally like out there for skiing? Still pretty reliable? Presumably the earlier in September the better?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks.
N Neige
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Neil Neige - you might be interested in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2156149&highlight=zealand#2156149
Wish I could tell you more, having grown up in NZ, but I've only been skiing there the once.
However, it was in late September last year, on Mt. Ruapehu in the North Island, and the conditions were fabulous.
Plenty of fresh snow and sunshine, (there was snow well into October), but far smaller and MUCH less developed than the resorts down South.
The season looks as if it's off to a cracking start already - temperature's about the same as London too snowHead
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2304714&highlight=zealand#2304714
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neil Neige, how much of the two weeks do you want to spend skiing and how much meeting friends and doing other things down under (visiting Sydney, Melbourne elsewhere)?

You're talking about a huge area (Australia and NZ) so travel times will count.

It should be good spring skiing in September. I'd have suggested a week in south Island flying into Queenstown from Sydney to keep it simple. But depends what sort of skiing you are after.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
September is usually great for all of New Zealand ski areas but even if it is a poor season Mt Hutt in the South Island and Ruapehu in the North Island have a good record for late September and into October. On and average or better year everywhere is good to the end of September. Come on down and have a great time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for these responses - encouraging and useful stuff - and apologies for the vagueness of my original question. I get infuriated when people ask questions like 'what are the best resorts in the Alps?'!
In response to the above, I would envisage spending most of the two weeks skiing. I'm guessing NZ is generally a lot better for skiing than Australia (?) but I would quite enjoy the cultural experience of Australian skiing. Maybe I should do something like 8 or 9 days in NZ and 5 or 6 in Oz? My friend lives in Melbourne so anywhere on that side of the country would be handy. Anyone ever skied in Tasmania?
I probably won't have a car at my disposal so places that are accessibly by public transport would be great. Finally, I tend to prefer more unusual/scenic/adventurous ski areas than those that have the most runs and lifts although the two types can obviously overlap.
Cheers.
NN
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm Tasmanian but haven't skied there (or Australia/NZ for that matter). There's two ski areas, Mt Mawson and Ben Lomond. Ben Lomond is the more developed of the two, there's some reasonably detailed info here: http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Mt_Mawson and http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Ben_Lomond. You should probably think English ski club rather than actual resort though. So they're certainly not open every weekend, and I don't think Mt Mawson opens at all during the week.

If you wanted to do some fairly serious hiking/backcountry you could consider Cradle Mountain: http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Cradle_Mountain - but you'd probably have to be well prepared, slightly mad, and somehow find a guide.

eg. from the wiki
Quote:

Cradle Mountain offers some of the most accessible and impressive skiing in Tassie. The hike in from Dove Lake is only about 4 hours...

So if you just wanted to have a bit of a ski I wouldn't really recommend Tassie. Probably the best option would be a couple of days midweek at Mt Buller (about 3 hours from Melbourne), then heading to NZ.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NZ or Portillo. No snow here at present. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NZ:- North Island - Taupo, South Island - Queenstown
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy