Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

October skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
The Huz currently has a rather impressive stash of air miles, so I'm going to try to persuade him that we should have a cheeky weekend of skiing sans enfants in the October half term. So, wise ski bods, where's good to ski in Europe in October?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fenfilly, I went to Tignes then in 2010 with my daughter. Snow was good and got a great deal with Mountainsun. However it normally co-incides with the french Toussaint break and it was heaving with junior racers. The behaviour of some (lift queues, etc) leaves a lot to be desired too. L2A opens that week too in France.

Tignes is open a lot longer, does it have to be half term? I guess it is quieter outside of Toussaint.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess it doesn't HAVE to be half term, but if it was, we'd be more likely to get away with a long weekend! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would recommend waiting till December; in October you're limited to glacier skiing, whereas by December a good chunk of regular resorts will be opening. They might not be fully open, but there will be no queues and empty pistes. You'll often get slightly reduced price lift passes too. You could book travel now and then wait till nearer the time when you know where the best snow is before booking accommodation. I've had some great trips in the first half of December.

There's the snowheads pre-season bash too which might suit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am not a fan of the early French glacier skiing but how about trying something different and looking at Norway - lots of other stuff to see ie non bog standard
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went twice to Les Deux Alpes at that time of the year. It was bloody awful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I went twice to Les Deux Alpes at that time of the year. It was bloody awful.

+1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Deux-Alpes in Cotober too, three times altogther I think, first time it was good, but the next twice it was awful. . However a recent day trip (when we were visiting Serre Chevalier) in 2011 , there was loads of fresh snow, but it is unpredictable in Autumn.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fenfilly, the Tirol Snow Card season pass comes into validity on October 1st each year due to there being a whole host of glaciers in the province to choose from. Stubai and Hintertux offer the best options of all of them to my mind but there is also the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier in Salzburgerland (about an hour from Salzburg Airport. Sölden has 2 glaciers on its one pass with a good bus system running up from the town to the slopes. The opening races of the World Cup are held there each October (last weekend of the month so avoid that weekend to be honest as it is rammed!) snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kieranm,
Quote:

I would recommend waiting till December; in October you're limited to glacier skiing, whereas by December a good chunk of regular resorts will be opening. They might not be fully open, but there will be no queues and empty pistes. You'll often get slightly reduced price lift passes too. You could book travel now and then wait till nearer the time when you know where the best snow is before booking accommodation. I've had some great trips in the first half of December.

Yes, we are already booked for December, February and Easter. I was just hoping to fit another cheeky one in in October. wink

A friend of mine skis in Norway every year, and her videos always look amazing, huge wide open empty pistes etc. I'd definitely consider Norway. Would Sweden also be a possible prospect?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fenfilly, i wasn't aqare that there was likely to be any skiing in either Norway or Sweden in October.

Ay far as I know, a glacier is your only option. Tignes qualifies. Just don't expect anything other than the glacier to be open. Nightlife and dining may be in short supply.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not bothered about nightlife. Just as long as there is somewhere that sells wine.......

I guess Austria might be the best bet then? Glacier skiing in France doesn't sound great from what you guys are saying? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fenfilly, I too have heard that Toussaint skiing is a bit of a mare on account of being surrounded by junior race teams. Check out Easiski snow blog for October in the last few years - this should give some idea as to snow conditions in LDA over last few years and Charlotte (the blogger) may mention amount of traffic etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh thanks dobby, That's really helpful! Very Happy

Edited to add: I've just had a peek. What a brilliant blog. I'm going to be glued to that one! Thanks again dobby for the recommendation!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oooooh! Just found this thread!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65929

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
The junior skiers are by no means confined to Toussaints week.

My own view of glacier skiing is that it is pointless unless you are having lessons - in which case it can be very good - you only need one piste to play on. I've done it four times, I think, in Tignes and L2A - some excellent tuition. And although the racers can be a pain, there is something rather marvellous (albeit humbling) in being surrounded by such brilliant skiers.
ski holidays
pam w, Actually, it's funny you should say that. I was thinking it might be a really good opportunity for lessons, as we wouldn't have to worry about coordinating times with crèche, ski school etc. as the kids wouldn't be with us. Very Happy
latest report
Fenfilly, October often sees the first heavy snowfalls of the season. That doesn't mean a huge amount as it won't really alter the options beyond the glaciers and in any case the low lying snow will quickly retreat again. But it can make a big difference to the quality of the snow on the glaciers. Arrive just after and they can feel fab, arrive just before and they may still be suffering from the summer melt.

What does feel very nice is travelling up through the autumn colours and heading up towards the snow, knowing your getting a head start, but you need to keep in mind the actual skiing will be relatively limited.

I'd thoroughly recommend Hintertux (and there should be plenty of wine flowing at the Hohenhaus Tenne).
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, Thanks for that. It does look like Hintertux would be the most likely option. I also haven't ruled out a nice weekend in Scotland getting in some quality lessons on a dry slope. Only problem is, The Huz is very prejudiced against dry slopes! Admittedly, it would be nice to get away to foreign parts, and if it's only for a couple of days, there doesn't have to be miles and miles of skiing. The flow of wine is also definitely a significant factor! wink
ski holidays
Fenfilly wrote:
Not bothered about nightlife. Just as long as there is somewhere that sells wine.......

I guess Austria might be the best bet then? Glacier skiing in France doesn't sound great from what you guys are saying? Puzzled

why would glacier skiing in Austria be any better than glacier skiing in France?
snow report
Fenfilly, the wine is better in France, and if the snow is good, the glaciers in France are fine, no better or worse than Austria.
snow report
The Mountainsun deal for Tignes can't be easily beaten. It cost us about £200 each for everything (flight, transfer, HB, lift pass and skis/boots) for 3 nights (2.5 days skiing). Lessons are very reasonable at that time too. Can't remember exactly but less than 200 Euros for 2 x 3 hour private lessons with TDC. I think Inside Out do some really good value trips there too, coupling tuition with accommodation with Mountainsun.

If you go to LDA I know that Easiski's rates are very reasonable in the summer/autumn and you can't find many better teachers.

Conditions weren't too shabby when we went either

Tignes

If I went to Tignes in October again I'd try to avoid Toussaint but if that was unavoidable I'd let the racers get up first before taking the funicular avoiding an unpleasant scrum.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 22-06-13 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name, Bigger areas maybe? Plus better Après. If you have not tried it perhaps it is time to take a look and broaden your horizons wink
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Fenfilly wrote:

why would glacier skiing in Austria be any better than glacier skiing in France?

Bigger ski areas. Better beer wink

Mid-October on the Stubai last season looked like this:

Though if you're going offpiste you do have to be very careful early season:

OP, book a flight to Innsbruck or Munich, then decide a few days before whether to go to Stubai or Hintertux.
snow conditions
Les Deux Alpes is always advertised as the largest skiable glacier in Europe. I've only skied there in Winter and haven't skied any of the Austrian glaciers. Tignes is fine for 2 or 3 days, I'm not sure how it compares with others in size.
ski holidays
Claude B, given they measure the glaciated terrain in hectares rather than piste (assuming that's what we're talking about) km, it's hard to compare. However, assuming the glacier area is the bit within the golden lasso thing on their piste map, it would seem they essentially have 3 pistes up there.

Of course it all depends on which lifts they actually open at that time of year, Stubai normally has a lot open as it's a popular race training venue.
latest report
clarky999, It will also feel different depending on how much of the available area is reserved for race training.
snow report
clarky999, 4 at least I think and they are wide, in the winter anyway. They build a huge park too if that's your thing. I think in practise the ski area gets less as summer proceeds. They open today and easiski was hopeful it may even be possible to ski back to resort. Skiing to 2600m is usually possible at opening I believe and this moves up through July and August. No idea what it is like in late October.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Quote:
Bigger areas maybe? Plus better Après
To be weighed against (in the case of Tignes) staying at higher altitude (2100m) and being 7 minutes' funicular ride from the snow (at 3100m).

But never mind Austria and France - Saas Fee glacier (Switzerland) is a bit higher than the rest and provides some decent sport. If a nice resort is what you're after, the village is absolutely gorgeous. There's also Zermatt and one or two options in Italy (Presena, Cervinia), though we haven't been to those outside winter.

Try everywhere and make up your own mind Fenfilly. There are probably a lot more options than you might think - Mrs MA and I are up to 11 or 12 European ski glaciers. Each has its merits and there are none that we've disliked. On a longer Austria trip you can visit a few glaciers on an easy road trip - eg Soelden, Kaunertal and Pitztal are all quite close. Kaprun, Hintertux and Stubai are all do-able on one trip as well. And if you're flying to Munich, there's always the Zugspitze Glacier near Garmisch - though (I think) it only opens from November. You can get accommodation easily in Austria (especially out of season) by just turning up, so you can have a totally flexible trip.

As you can probably tell, Mrs MA and I are big fans of glaciers. IMO it's certainly never 'pointless without lessons.' Anyway, try it and just take it for what it is - a day in the beautiful mountains practising the sport we all love out of season. We admit that, where sliding on snow is concerned, we're very easily pleased - but what's not to like about an autumnal 600 vertical metres of skiing and 20-40km of piste wink ?

Meanwhile, we're off to Tignes in four weeks' time - bring on the summer skiing! Can't wait Smile!

Here are a few autumnal glacier pics to potentially whet your appetite Fenfilly. All are from late October/early November trips:

Hintertux:

Sas Fee:

Tignes:

Stubai:
snow conditions
Jeez, all these pics look AMAZING! Why the heck isn't everybody skiing in the October half term? Shocked

Although admittedly, if everyone went then, it wouldn't be that great would it? rolling eyes

So grateful for all the info lovely peeps, thanks so much! Very Happy
latest report
Fenfilly, We do here - in fact we ski all year round because we do have such a wide choice of glaciers snowHead

With regard to race training I've been at the Kitzsteinhorn, Hintertux and Stubai when they have large numbers of both national squads and juniors training and apart from having to wait for the lifts a wee while, it is not a big deal as the areas are so wide and leave plenty of space for others. Sölden on the other hand has a few problems, especially when more than half the Rettenbach ice fall is closed for the races. Makes coming down the black bumps run "interesting" to say the least! The good thing with the race pistes is that they are usually empty by 12.00 or 13.30 at the latest as the racers quite often go up before the lifts open to the general public.

Last year I rode the lifts with some of the Swedish team, a couple of the Croatian guys and an awful lot of the Americans, Austrian and Germans. It adds a wee bit of "flavour" if you are interested in ski racing. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

To be weighed against (in the case of Tignes) staying at high altitude

Worth thinking about, that. When I did a summer course in Tignes even though I'd been at 1500m for several weeks, and done some quite tough walks, it was noticeably harder work up at 3500m - we always spent 20 - 30 minutes getting booted up, having a coffee, getting used to the altitude, before starting doing anything strenuous.
snow report
The main reason I think glacier skiing is pointless without lessons is that you have to get up extremely early in the morning (for a holiday) and fight your way up with the racers, with very limited space and sometimes pretty grotty conditions underfoot. And you have to pack up at about 1 pm, normally. Then are too knackered to make good use of the rest of the day! Maybe I am just a lightweight. I always spend at least two or three weeks in the Alps every October but the walking is so tremendous then, with wonderful autumn colours and chestnuts to gather, I'd prefer to leave the skiing till winter.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, I think you can cross the Zugspitze off your list. The Garmisch area announced that this summer they are not going to do anything to protect the remaining small part of the glacier as it is beyond saving. Up until this year they have covered the glacier in the warmest months to enable an early start to the season. Now they are saying that what is left will not survive much longer and would prefer to invest the money elsewhere in their infrastructure.

pam w, That may well be the procedure in France, but top racers get early uplift here in Austria while the rest of us mere mortals can go up at our leisure. I ski without having lessons and thoroughly enjoy myself. I do have some coaching now and again, but it is not essential. Plus we are talking about October here not July or August. I was skiing with clarky999 on the Stubai glaciers last October and gave up early because I was cold and tired due to there being way more snow than we expected as well as it being freezing cold!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
mountainaddict, I think you can cross the Zugspitze off your list.
Plus, you'd need a spirit level to appreciate the gradient.

Tux, Tux, Hintertux. I think the newly refurbed Tuxerfernerhaus opens in October as well.
snow conditions
Quote:

Plus we are talking about October here not July or August.

yes, true - much more likely to have good conditions in October. I have thoroughly enjoyed my lessons (3 hours a day with Fastman and easiski was well worthwhile!!) but would still prefer to spend my autumn days in the Alps, which are limited, walking, gathering mushrooms and chestnuts!

When I've skied at L2A and Tignes in summer we've tried to get up the mountain early, to get the best of the conditions. In L2A we were there at the Jandri in the lift queue before it opened at 0700, with easiski showing us how not to let the Italian and French racing 9 year olds elbow us out of the way. She said very sternly to one lad that he should be ashamed of himself pushing in before an old lady. Laughing

If you left it too late to get up there, you had too little time left before the T bar was taking you through streams!

Wouldn't bother just to potter around on my own, though, round the same couple of T bars. I do love the autumn walking - lots of broadleaved forest round our way and the cows with their bells on are usually out in the lower pastures till Toussaint. Those high glaciated resorts are a bit like open cast coal mines in summer, where the pistes have often been created by a "coup de bull". Maybe the Austrian areas are more attractive.
ski holidays
Quote:

The main reason I think glacier skiing is pointless without lessons is that you have to get up extremely early in the morning (for a holiday) and fight your way up with the racers, with very limited space and sometimes pretty grotty conditions underfoot. And you have to pack up at about 1 pm, normally.

In the summer maybe, but in October it should be cold enough to ski all day without it being a slushfest, with more and more lifts/pistes opening for the main season.

Totally understand why you'd rather do other things though, the Alps are great for so many sports/activities that if conditions aren't prime for one it's easy to find a better alternative. And queueing for lifts at 7am sounds miserable!
ski holidays
1000m of vertical officially open at L2A on opening day (today) http://www.easiski.com/blog1/
snow report
Claude B wrote:
1000m of vertical officially open at L2A on opening day (today) http://www.easiski.com/blog1/

Though today's conditions are not an especially good predictor of Octobers.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
under a new name, Bigger areas maybe? Plus better Après. If you have not tried it perhaps it is time to take a look and broaden your horizons wink

Broaden my horizons? You mean there is skiing worth doing somewhere other than Chamonix?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy