Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route to the Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've booked the first week of December in the Dolomites but so far, none of the budget airlines start their routes to Innsbruck until 15/12 so am considering driving - unless anybody can point me in the direction of a scheduled airline that flies direct to Innsbruck on 1st December (from anywhere in the south/midlands). If I have to drive I'd prefer to go via the tunnel and would appreciate any Snowheads' expertise/advice on a good route with an overnight stop. Over to you guys and girls.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where in the Dolomites? Venice is also a convenient option for some resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not too bad from Munich as well depending where you are going.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martini, I've flown BA twice to Innsbruck in recent winters. The prices weren't outrageous.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you tried the obvious?

http://www.innsbruck-airport.com/en/timetable/

Seems to suggest that EasyJet from LGW is an option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:
Where in the Dolomites? Venice is also a convenient option for some resorts.
Or Treviso just north of Venice with Ryanair.

The local hotels organise weekend shuttle buses from/ to both, to Sella Ronda and (I think) Cortina.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I once went to the Dolomites by coach. The route was through Belgium, Switzerland and Austria then south some time after Innsbruck. It didn't seem too bad but then I wasn't driving! Sorry I can't advise on the overnight stop. I'd recommend looking at Via Michelin website and seeing what route options they give.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loads of Ibis/Ibis-budget and BB hotels etc. en route, close to the autobahn. Would guesstimate where along the route it would be about 9-10pm and stop somewhere near there.

It's a looong drive though. 6 hours from my place to Innsbruck (at least double that from Calais), then with an early start from there, can be skiing in the Dolomites at about noon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We drove this year and stopped at Luxembourg on the way out (3.5 hrs from Calais). Next day was then a 7 am to 4 pm drive. Budget hotels after Luxembourg get difficult to identify, but if I were to stretch the first day I would aim for the area between Karlsruhe and Stuttgart. We snuck through Switzerland on the way out to avoid traffic, but the normal route would be via Ulm. This passes Memmingen, which is another flight option (approx. 4 hours from Dolomites).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loads of cheap and cheerful Gasthöfe in the villages close to the autobahns, you don't need to use the chains like Ibis to be honest. I was thinking about this last night as I drove home - I passed some chain hotels and one was advertising room only for the "special" price of 89Euro (no breakfast though) this was Etap by the way. In my village for example you can get a lovely room including a massive all you can eat breakfast for under 90 Euro in winter ( their high season is summer). Booking.com can be great, I always look there first then contact the place in person. Sometimes it is cheaper, sometimes the same as offered on the Booking site.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks for all your replies, am going to Mountainsun's Chalet Diamant for skiing in Kronplatz again, went there this January. Have also flown into Venice and know of Treviso, so if the budget airlines don't start flying until mid-December driving may be on the cards. Mountainsun have suggested a route and some overnight options as well but will certainly look at the train option nearer the time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy