Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't you just hate those cheap flights - advice required on Austrian high resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Just had to book a Ryanair flight to Salzburg for a couple of days next week. Couldn't help myself, it was only a penny each way so it had to be done.

The question is now, which resort to head for.

The list would appear to be
Obergurgl
Hintertux
Kaprun
Kaunertal
Neustift
Piztal
Solden

I have only been to Hintertux before, and would go back again but always enjoy exploring new areas and was wondering if any of the others would match or better it for closeness to Salzburg and extent of skiing available at this time of year.

Anybody done any of these resorts this season? ever?

Comments or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.
latest report
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro, I've stayed in the Stubai valley (Neustift) in the summer and skied on the glacier. The valley is beautiful, the glacier skiing was ok but glacier-ish, ie. steep/interesting bits notable by their absence.

No idea how far it is from Salzburg, it's very close to Innsbruck if that helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kaprun is the closest to Salzburg, followed by Hintertux. The others are all miles away, beyond Innsbruck.

There is also the Molltal glacier, in Carinthia, near Flattach (I think). Sorry:- I've no idea if it is open yet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, Last year I did both Solden and Kaprun from your list (both from Salzburg). Solden's not close, but providing you cut across Germany it's only about 2.5 hours as it's good motorway almost all the way. I like both in different ways. Kaprun is nice, but has lots of drags and requires a car to get to get to the lift base-station (busses only run in the main season). Solden was a great aree. Livelier. More challenging slopes, but it depends how much is open.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for help guys. The official Kaprun webiste is fairly useless and doesn't seem to show how much is open. I guess I could contact the tourist office for information. At Hintertux it says on their website that most of the glacier is open (about 40km of piste).

Solden sounds a thought, I shall look into that in more detail.

kamikaze, I am taking the same daughter that left her things on the ski weekend coach that time. I guess I shall be contacting Ryanair's lost property section on return!!!

edit: I have now found the website for kitzsteinhorn which appears to give the Kaprun glacier information.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 10-11-05 9:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, give Solden a go - if you don't mind being one of the only Brits in the resort.
Went last year and loved it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stephen bleakley, thanks, looking at the map for Solden, it does not look like there are any lifts open from the village to the glacier. It does say that the glacier road is open. Does this mean that you have to drive up to it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, looking at the front page of the Solden website, it is talking about reduced fares on the bus up to the glacier.
So it looks like you are right.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that Stephen.

Considering all sorts at the moment and will continue to develop I'm sure.

An option that I am thinking is (in order to maximise skiing on first day), to head for Kaprun and spend whatever part of the day that is left there and then afterwards drive to Hintertux, stay there the night and ski there the next day. Has anyone driven between the two? On the map it looks like there is a narrowish road almost straight between them (without heading back to the motorway). Just wondering how passable that route would be.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obergurgul looks like it's getting quite a bit of snow, i was going to go on the 3rd Decemeber but now can't Sad

from www.obergurgl.com/english.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan, yeah thanks, I see it is due to open on Thursday. It would be ideal but I think it is too far from Salzburg Sad .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, you can fly to Friedrichshafen Ray, its closer. I kind of assumed that Obergurgl had missed recent falls, now opens up this as an option for my December trip, I hadn't realised they had had any snow yet!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
micksup, thanks for thoughts. I looked at Friedrichshafen, but at the moment flights are only 1 per day at midday, whereas Salzburg has 2 which are v. early and v. late, so it maximises ski time. The deed is done now also, and Salzburg it is.

Hope you have a good one in December.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:

Considering all sorts at the moment and will continue to develop I'm sure.

An option that I am thinking is (in order to maximise skiing on first day), to head for Kaprun and spend whatever part of the day that is left there and then afterwards drive to Hintertux, stay there the night and ski there the next day. Has anyone driven between the two? On the map it looks like there is a narrowish road almost straight between them (without heading back to the motorway). Just wondering how passable that route would be.

According to the route planner on Falk.de route =107,30 km with a time of 02:36.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From Salzburg Airport approx travel times (current snow levels in brackets).

Kaprun 1:45 (72 cm base)
Hintertux 2:50 (100 cm Base)
Soelden 3:00 (110 cm Base)

Hintertux to Soelden is ca 3:10 (mostly valley roads)

Obergurgl looks to have only 15cm snow at the moment - I would give it a miss.
ski holidays
DB, thanks.
Quote:

107,30 km with a time of 02:36.

Wow, that seems a long time for a short distance. Must be very slow roads.

I don't think that any more snow is forecast in the next week is there. Oh well, plenty of time to make up my mind.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro,

Obergurgl is in the same valley as Solden..just further up...!!!
ski holidays
I've fallen victim to the same flights (not bought yet but WANT them Twisted Evil ),last weekend before school half term in feb...

I'm thinking Schladming or St Johann - any advice/recommednations? Particularly for hotels/sites of hotels that would do reasonable rates for 3 nights over a weekend? They offcial sites all seem to use the same engine and it's driving me nuts...

Snow etc really should be fine that time of year, small resort isn't a prob for a w/end and I'm not fussed about nightlife so pretty scenery and easy access to the slopes are the primary requirements...Never been to austria before so open to going anywhere really..

Cheers, aj xx
latest report
ajhainey, you can certainly get to Schladming from Salzburg by train, so you may avoid the need to hire a car (never been to St Johann). There would certainly be plenty of skiing there for a weeeknd too. Not sure on the accommodation front though, so sorry there. There have been a number of threads on Schladming, so it would be worth doing a search, could be some help in them. Equally, you may find it helpful to start your own thread as people that could give answers to your question may not be attracted by the title of this one. My gut feeling is that it should be possible, but may not be easy, as in peak season hotels may be reluctant to do short term arrangements. You could always contact the tourist office if all else fails. Best of luck.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
DB, thanks.
Quote:

107,30 km with a time of 02:36.

Wow, that seems a long time for a short distance. Must be very slow roads.

I don't think that any more snow is forecast in the next week is there. Oh well, plenty of time to make up my mind.

It's just a back country road and then a road down the valley. In bad weather and with holiday traffic you could easily hit 4 hours. Next week the roads should be fine from a traffic and weather point of view.

Better to check the weather nearer the time.

Kaprun is closest.

Hintertux is probably the best of the three (I've skied them all)

Sölden would be somewhere different with more snow than Kaprun but with a slightly longer travel time than Hintertux.

As others have said best to check that the buses up to the glaciers are running if you haven't got a car.
ski holidays
ajhainey wrote:
I've fallen victim to the same flights (not bought yet but WANT them Twisted Evil ),last weekend before school half term in feb...

I'm thinking Schladming or St Johann - any advice/recommednations? Particularly for hotels/sites of hotels that would do reasonable rates for 3 nights over a weekend? They offcial sites all seem to use the same engine and it's driving me nuts...

Snow etc really should be fine that time of year, small resort isn't a prob for a w/end and I'm not fussed about nightlife so pretty scenery and easy access to the slopes are the primary requirements...Never been to austria before so open to going anywhere really..

Cheers, aj xx

The better value places normally won't let their rooms go for less than a week until the last minute. Nobody knows were or when exactly the snow is going to fall in Austria (or the rest of Europe). e.g. Normally west Austrian resorts get the best of it but last season East Austria saw the most snow. Two mountains next to each other can get different amounts of snow. For this reason booking late is an advantage. If I were in your position I'd pick a few resorts and get the tourist information office number / email. If you send them an email in English of what you are looking for then they normally reply with some offers. If they are not aware of your price range then they will tend to send the more expensive places first. Just ask them if they have anything cheaper. If you are renting a car you have more options (I typically book late and get somewhere cheap on the outskirts, better a short journey to good snow than ski in / ski out on cr@p snow). As a backup plan there are more expensive hotels that never seem to get completely full. It's unlikely that there will not be somewhere to stay around Salzburg unless it's Christmas/New Year or school holiday times (note European holidays are not always the same time as in England).

Schladming or St Johann are good (there's more than one St Johann)
Obertauern is very snow secure
Zell am Zee is good when snow is plenty
more here
http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/

If anybody is coming over and gets stuck (e.g. needs help with car hire / route plans / booking rooms etc) just drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help. It's sometimes easier and cheaper for me to call inland and communicate in German.
ski holidays
hmmm.

The fall in temperature and imminent snow is good, except in relation to my trip on Thursday.

Seeking advice here as I am wondering whether to just forget it and forego the cost of the flights.

I don't mind the cold and I don't mind it snowing, but what would really put me off would be poor visibility. What is the likelihood of poor visibility on Thurs/Friday given the prospects of reasonable snowfalls?

Also, what are the road conditions likely to be like? (Thinking of now going to Hintertux as there isn't much open at Kaprun at the moment). How quickly do the Austrians clear the roads of snow, at what point on the drive am I likely to encounter snow on the roads etc etc.

Any words of wisdom gratefully received.
snow report
Hi Ray,

No idea on road conditions/visibility, but in my mind a bad days skiing is better than a good days work!

regards,

Gre
snow report
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

I don't mind the cold and I don't mind it snowing, but what would really put me off would be poor visibility.

Not sure quite what you were expecting a couple of miles up in the mountains at the onset of winter. Anyway, my suggestion to you would be Hintertux. Fast gondolas run all the way to the top on two wires (so they handle the wind and you're not exposed) and if you stay at the Hotel Rindererhof (4 star) it's only a short walk to the lift in the morning. At Kaprun you're looking at a drive or the bus every morning. I think you should just go and stop reminding us that we're not (yet). Thanks.
snow conditions
No personal experience but WTSS seems to think the roads are pretty well maintained when snow is falling?
ski holidays
ajhainey, you could try www.snowscape.co.uk They do transfer/accommodation packages for Fieberbrunn, St Johann in Tirol and other places in the Kitzbuehler Alps/Schneewinckel etc. I can't recommend them highly enough. The guy there (I think his name's Gareth from memory) was very helpful and arranged us a great deal to Obergurgl a couple of years ago. Very reasonable prices, particularly if you can cash in on the cheapo flights! FWIW, Austria is far and away the loveliest place for skiing in Europe in my own low-value opinion, and has provided me with the best skiing holidays! snowHead
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
hmmm.

The fall in temperature and imminent snow is good, except in relation to my trip on Thursday.

Seeking advice here as I am wondering whether to just forget it and forego the cost of the flights.

I don't mind the cold and I don't mind it snowing, but what would really put me off would be poor visibility. What is the likelihood of poor visibility on Thurs/Friday given the prospects of reasonable snowfalls?

Also, what are the road conditions likely to be like? (Thinking of now going to Hintertux as there isn't much open at Kaprun at the moment). How quickly do the Austrians clear the roads of snow, at what point on the drive am I likely to encounter snow on the roads etc etc.

Any words of wisdom gratefully received.

Unfortunately there is often bad visibility with snowfall at this time of year. It was that bad one year at Kaprun that I could only tell if I was moving or not by prodding the ground with my ski pole.

Austrians are very good at clearing the snow, many local people have 4WD's with snow ploughs on the front. The amount of snow lower down won't be massive anyway. I'd only worry if I still had summer tyres on the car.

There won't be many people there so if visibility drops just pop inside for a http://www.glue.umd.edu/~joi/germknoedel.jpg until it clears.
snow report
Thanks to all for the advice. We went to Hintertux in the end, a nice easy 2 hour drive on the way out.

I was surprised how busy it was there. There were quite long queues for the gondolas going up and coming back at the end of the day. And the pistes were busy, but only with recreational skiers like ourselves. There are only a couple of restaurants, so they were also heaving and finding a seat was impossible - probably increased due to the very low temperatures (-18 I think). Skiing conditions were pretty good. The new snow definitely helped and it was hardpacked beneath the fesh though. Although it snowed most of Friday, visibility was still reasonable.

I thought my fears about driving in the snow were groundless until about 40km out of Salzburg on the way back to the airport. There was really havey snow by this stage. The conditions then were terrible and lorries were sliding and traffic was stationary in places. Even with winter tyres I could feel the car sliding. It was quite unnerving and I wondered whether we would make the flight. Fortunately the snow turned to rain after a few more kms. Didn't see any snowploughs during this time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, was your day trip worth it, all things considered?
snow report
slikedges, this was one of my longer ones, it was a couple of days away (one night) and we got a day and a half of skiing in wink . Yes definitely worth it. It wasn't particularly costly. I have decided that some things like this, you just have to do ...
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, I whole-heartedly agree. May I ask how many greenbacks it cost you?
ski holidays
slikedges, I took one of my daughters as she had a couple of days off because her school was closed. For flights, car hire, hotel, ski hire and lift pass it came to about £150 each. We could probably have done the accommodation cheaper, but stayed in a rather nice hotel with indoor pool. Car hire is proportionately more expensive for shorter trips it seems and holidayautos won't actually find anywhere for less than 3 days hire.
snow report
Ray Zorro, did you get 2 pretty much full days skiing for that? Sounds like great value to me even if you didn't! Very Happy
snow report
slikedges, we arrived at the hotel about 12:10. So by the time we had changed, sorted out equipment and passes it was about 1:00 before we were going up the first gondola, so it was only a half day on the first day. I had originally hoped that somewhere slightly nearer Salzburg would have been OK (Kaprun or Obertaurn are only an hour away), which would have given us more time, but as you know the snow hasn't been great so far this year.

The flight home wasn't until 9:05, so we didn't have to leave the resort until 5:00 ish, so the second day was a full one.

I guess it is horses for courses. Mrs Z hates short trips and would never do another one, but I really like them. I find that to take a whole week off work means that I virtually have to do an extra week's work before I go, whereas it isn't a problem to slip off for a day or two. And only being away for 1 night doesn't disrupt the family routine too much either.

Is it something that you are considering or have done yourself?
snow report
Ray Zorro, I've done several ski weekends over the years, 3 or so days skiing, but never less. They've mostly worked out quite expensive as I've not been able to book more than a few weeks in advance and cheap flights had gone by then. I'm not giving up on them but am very keen on the idea of 1/2 day short trips to stop me getting the DTs (Desperate need to make Tracks) between longer trips, and to accrue more skiing days each season!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy