Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon BBR skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello wise ski peeps! I've just bought myself a pair of second hand Salomon Sunlite bbr skis. Could anyone tell me what bbr actually stands for, or point me to a link to some info on the thinking behind the brand? I've searched the Salomon site, and followed a couple of links that Google suggested, but I'm still none the wiser!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's something to do with the designer's nickname "Beber". The initials, when pronounced with a suitably French accent, sound similar.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fenfilly, Welcome to Snowheads

You might find what your looking for here Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1975228
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the welcome! Very Happy

Great thread, doesn't really answer my question, but seems to confirm most of what I've read about them already. wink

I will be bitterly disappointed however, if they turn out to have just been named after their designer. How boring! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Be disappointed then! From gear junkie: "the Salomon BBR skis are the brainchild of the company’s designer Bertrand Krafft (whose nickname is BeBeR, and thus the ski is a shortened version of that at “BBR”)".

They're a marmite ski so I hope you tested them, otherwise you could have a lot more disappointment to come Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No I didn't test them, I bought them second hand. They do have a 14 day money back guarantee though which is good.

Also I'm only an intermediate with absolutely no pretensions, so a) not that fussy, and b) wouldn't know a good ski from a bad ski if I fell over it (which is quite likely in my case). Frankly, if I have fun on it, it's my kinda ski! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fenfilly, well, from that perspective I guess you've got a chance wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would I be right in thinking that M. Krafft likes a beer or two?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Better Buying Rossignol isn't it?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
Better Buying Rossignol isn't it?

Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh dear. Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Belowcostprice Retailflop?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I prefer Bold Beautiful Retailtherapy. Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Would I be right in thinking that M. Krafft likes a beer or two?

He does now. His mates can't stop buying them for him after the wager he won - 'will Salomon be stupid enough to actually make these skis' Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hear that Salomon were offered a job lot on several hundred water skis and as part of ther marketing psychology R&D decided to use them to test the gullibilty of the skiing market.

It became a self-financing and thus self-continuing project (and too embarrassing to admit to).
snow conditions
Someone did warn me that there was a lot of snobbery about these skis. wink
ski holidays
Fenfilly, Fair one mate. Who really gives a toss? Enjoy skiing them. Smile
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I will! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
My wife loves her Skylites, don't let anyone put you off them.
latest report
That's great Valkyrie! Your wife clearly has excellent taste!

Don't worry, I've never been one to follow the herd, or worry about other people's opinions, unless of course they are well informed and authoritative.

The hilarious thing is, I wasn't really expressing an interest in other people's opinions of them, I just wanted to know what BBR stood for! Laughing
snow conditions
I skied these in about 8 inches of fresh spring powder this year. They were great fun, kind of like a 4 x 4 or something. Was bizarre, I didn't feel engaged with the snow at all, it was like I was skiing on two tables. They could carve on piste but I'm used to slalom or normal all mountain skis on piste and I'd much prefer them. That may be a reflection on my lack of technique though.
ski holidays
Wow! That's an interesting observation 8611. I was looking for the ski equivalent of an ATV, so that sounds encouraging. Smile
ski holidays
Fenfilly, They are the initials of the man that designed them.
ski holidays
Fattes13, then they'd be called "BK"s then wouldn't they? rolling eyes
snow report
I rented a pair, and brought them straight away, loved them (previously had Ks apaches)
snow report
I've skied on mine a few times in the freezer now, and I am SO in love with them. Can't wait to take them up the mountain! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
Fenfilly, They are the initials of the man that designed them.

They're an abbreviation of the name of the boy they were designed for.

Bieber.
ski holidays
I thought Beiber was a girl. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good point, well made!
snow report
Quote:

They're an abbreviation of the name of the boy they were designed for.

Bieber.

Funny Bertrand Krafft nickname is !!! Beber!!!
snow report
Fenfilly,

I tried the BBR 9's in Val Isère in Jan this year and was quite simply blown away with them, absolutely superb both on and off piste. For my standard anyway which is no expert level but pretty proficient. I know they are a marmite ski, but both myself and the OH (who also tried them) were hooked immediately, plan to try and rent them again this year, really good purchase IMO...
snow conditions
I hired some BBR's last season (I think 8.9's), I thought that they were a great improvement on my Dynastar Contact 10's, being much more forgiving, though they didn't hold an edge (this could be them being hire skis), but my real reason for posting is that these are probably some posters first experience of rockered ski's, which imo should offer some benefits in cutting through crud and venturing off piste. I later tried some Rosignol Experience 83's which offered similar benefits, and also were more enjoyable carving and held an edge. Just some thoughts of a British intermediate, i.e. not that good!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy