Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central South Island New Zealand - now with photos

Poster: A snowHead
First report for 2013....

Saturday, got up to Mt Hutt for opening day, good cover, weather packed in about 11am, gave up went to the pub.

Been puking snow ever since, carnage, floods, bridges washed out, land slips, roads closed etc etc.

Sickie pulled for tomorrow, when the weather breaks.

Then there's another half a metre to sea level on the way Wednesday through to Friday.

So far it's been a great start to the season. Might even take a picture tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good day today, about 30cm of light and dry new snow, sun out, no crowds. Mt Hutt now has a 1m base in the first week of the season. They are due for over a metre in a huge antarctic storm that will hit tomorrow and last for a couple of days. We just had a civil defence warning to prepare to be cut off for a few days Very Happy Very Happy

So I popped out and got 5 packets of B & H and a really nice bottle of 18yo Bunnhabain and Mrs Hang11 is struggling with a log splitter out the back, trying to make sure we don't freeze to death or have to live on cheese sandwiches.

A few other local mountains will be opening over the next couple of weeks, Mt Dobson is the next one, on Sunday.

Here's some pics from this morning. Love powder days Very Happy

Mrs Hang11

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hang11, Great photos. Looking forward to more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mt Hutt this morning, 90cm overnight, and the bulk of the storm over the next couple of days is yet to arrive. I think they will be closed for a while digging out the access road. The snow is down to 100m above sea level.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow. Looks like a day for the old slalom skis wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks great! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think they hit 1.1m during daylight today, with a total of 2m expected. The lifts have disappeared.

Unfortunately most hills have delayed their opening by a week, due to snow overload and road closures. Houses are disappearing in Mt Cook village Very Happy

I'm going to build a 20ft high snow dick on the main road tomorrow and get in the paper Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm going to build a 20ft high snow dick on the main road tomorrow and get in the paper

hang11, You are all class Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Looks like everywhere near you has had a good dump. Not quite as much down here but still plenty to keep smiles on faces.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarge McSarge, I think this storm has probably got the whole south island set up for the season. Perfect timing for winterfest down there for you guys - must be a novelty having some snow for that Very Happy

I've lost my truck somewhere. Should have left a transceiver in it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11 wrote:
I've lost my truck somewhere. Should have left a transceiver in it.
Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hang11, Sweet Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A couple from Mt Hutt's website this morning. There will be another 50cm before the weather clears..

The cafe. This is a 3 storey building

the car park, after they got a dozer through it

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How long since they have had snow like that ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a big one in 2006, but that was about half the amount. I think early 90's was the last one of this size. Usual storms put down between 20cm to 60cm, some of the fields around here are reporting 2.5m with 5m drifts out of the last two days.

It will be interesting once they get opened up, which may take a few days, so possibly wont result in an epic powder day once it freezes up, but there's enough base to pretty much guarantee something to muck around on until well into October.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WOW Shocked!! Amazing....just amazing..... Very Happy !!!

Out of interest, what are lift ticket prices like in NZ? As expensive as in Oz Puzzled
snow report
No, NZ is a lot cheaper than OZ, and almost always has better snow, although much less facilities and "resort" style mountains - not really any flash ski in ski out accommodation, although there are lodges on the club fields that are great but basic places to stay.

Depends where you go, but Hutt is towards the top end of the range - around $90 (kiwi) a day - 45 quid or so. Oz is probably a third more, especially because of the exchange rate.

The club fields, which don't have the facilities can be as low as $45 (kiwi) a day.

Heli, especially charters, is very cheap comparatively in NZ. I can do a 5 run heli day for about $800.

My season pass for Hutt costs me $700 I think, then I spend another $700 on one that covers me for 12 club fields. I break even on both after about 13 days.
ski holidays
The storm finally cleared overnight - Mt Hutt went from 80cm - 3.6m base. Looks buried on the webcams Very Happy

Closed for avie control work, but I'm not working Monday/Tuesday so looking good to get up there when it does open.

Might take a snorkel.

snow conditions
I saw pics today... 3.5 m snow base this early in the season is crazy... wish I was down their.
latest report
A few from Mt Hutt, which eventually opened today, minus one lift. Losing the lift was not all bad for those prepared to hike out of the lower basin, it stayed deep and untracked all day.

Selfie

The infamous access road. Which was actually a bit scary today, saw one car half slide off the edge

The cafe. Normally has a verandah and windows, not much natural light this morning
Very Happy

snow conditions
A few more from yesterday and today

Near where I live

Mt Hutt today, wind affected in places, but great stashes of powder and great cover

Looking down the Rakaia River towards Banks Peninsula and what's left of Christchurch.

And one of the access road - the drifts at the side of the bus on the right hand side of the photo, and the drop off to the side give a good idea of why people don't like it. The road is single lane with passing spots and no barriers. It can get a bit exciting when it gets icy.

ski holidays
Wow, that graph is nuts.
latest report
What absolutely stunning photos! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Thanks Very Happy

New lens Very Happy
snow conditions
Getting hammered by NW winds, everything is closed, the rivers are about to flood with snow melt. Back to normal conditions for June Very Happy

14 degrees in town today, sunny and perfect fishing weather Very Happy
snow conditions
Those pics still make me want to return home. Roll on retirement Smile
latest report
Hi,

Looks like I'm going out to NZ with work for 18mth. Going to be in Christchurch. How bad is it out there after the quake? Also when does the season finish there, as I'll be out end of September is it worth taking the skis out?

Ziggy
snow report
zigster68, you'll get some spring skiing in September and you'll have the whole of next season so I vote yes, take your skis. They're hell'ish expensive in NZ unless you get super lucky in a sale.

Can't help with the 'how's Christchurch' question, sorry. Have a great time - luck you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Cheers, tbh i can't wait!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christchurch is shagged, but its still a great city. The roads are all dug up, because everything underneath them has moved around, and it will be 15 years before that fix up is finished, but lots of work for drain layers! The traffic is a PITA because of it.

Rental properties that aren't buggered and falling down are expensive. There is no city centre, it's just a great big car park. Construction is starting to get going in places but there is still a huge hold up with insurance payouts, even 3 years after the first big shake. But there are some great plans to put it all back together, and when it does eventually happen it will be a fantastic place.

The work opportunities for construction, engineering etc will be great as well.

In terms of ski season, end of September is towards the end, but should still go until mid October. The weather can be a bit hit and miss, but its not unusual to have warm spring days. There is so much snow on the mountains, and that won't be going anywhere before September, so you should get some good days.

Christchurch is also a great place to be based, nice and central for all the South Island has to offer.
latest report
hang11, very nice photos, you lucky person you!
ski holidays
Another 40cm at Mt Hutt last night. Closed today for avie control work.

Sickie pulled for tomorrow morning Very Happy
snow report
Some from today

snow conditions
Looks great. You are being spoiled. I take it that the lower chair is still closed after the avalanche damage. Any idea when it will be fixed.
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, it looks really stuffed. Doubt it will be fixed this season, but it's keeping those that don't want a bit of a walk away from the snow over there.

I'm hoping they stick in a nice high speed chair all the way up to the top of the towers to make up for it Very Happy With Porters doing a big redevelopment, it might be a good time for Hutt to do something like that.

I'll probably go to Dobson or Roundhill tomorrow, haven't been to either yet this year.
snow report
A few from today, had a late start, went to see the Crusaders last night, went out for a few beers after, and didnt get let out of the police station until 11am Very Happy

Mt Hutt said today that they won't fix the stuffed lift until summer, so they have sorted a couple of hagglunds to shift people up from the bottom of that lift. Quite an innovative solution.

snow conditions
Fantastic Spring conditions. In mid winter. But it's great, regardless, but hoping for the weather to get cold again.

Today was a classic Canterbury day. Love it. When NZ is at its best.

ski holidays
Haven't had a whole lot of new snow for the last few weeks, but with massive bases and warm temps conditions have been perfect and like spring. Shame it's mid winter, but can't complain about the sun being out, the crowds being small, and there being something to slide around on.

Went up to Mt Dobson today, the offspring were in a race up there. It's a great spot, and one of my favourites, but really good on a powder day, which today wasn't.

Took a few pictures, which I will stick up here some time, but I like this one - my lunch spot

latest report
A few from Mt Dobson last weekend. Looking like 20cm of new snow is on the way tomorrow. My youngest daughter knocked off first place in the girls junior snowboard comp on Sunday Very Happy

My oldest daughter, got a 5th place against some pretty tough competition

A very busy Mt Dobson on a Sunday lunchtime

latest report
hang11, fabulous, fabulous pictures. Congratulations to your daughters! Very Happy
ski holidays
Great day at Mt Hutt today, 25cm of light and dry snow, blue skies, no crowds. A proper NZ day. Loved it and beats working Very Happy

Looking up the valley towards Mt Hutt

A bit of the infamous access road

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy