Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pinzolo, Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Evening All,
Just looking for the heads up on Pinzolo near Madonna in the Dolomites. I'll be taking a school group of 24 mixed ability 16yr olds there next Feb so any info re slopes ( local lift pass only as I don't want to have to search the whole of Italy for the "wanderers"), village, apres activities , mountain huts etc much appreciated.
briand Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
briand6868, PM Wayneo as that is his neck of the woods. As he flounced off and has not posted since, it may be the only way of getting a response.

I visited many, many moons ago so my memories are probably not really worth anything as hopefully it has updated and grown if only a wee bit. It has been in the schools's brochure for as long as I've been involved in school skiing (so since the 70s). I found it an OK place for keeping all the little boogers contained and, if they have never skied before, they just enjoy being in the mountains on skis to be honest. One of the best trips we ever did was to a 6-lift resort not far from Cueno, the kids felt they were able to ski the "whole mountain" and even go off-piste! wink I had more repeat bookers from that trip than any other I ran funnily enough.

Oh and I won the spaghetti eating contest by a mile. That went down in school folk lore along with the pictures they all took of me head down in a bowl of spaghetti bol as well as those of my triumph covered in sauce from the face down to the waist Embarassed at least there are none of us drinking the Genepi I won and getting embarrassingly rat-arsed because we underestimated it's potency Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

at least there are none of us drinking the Genepi I won and getting embarrassingly rat-arsed because we underestimated it's potency

Samerberg Sue, you are letting the side down.... some of us have spent a lot of time convincing people that teachers work really hard on school ski trips. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, have you ever drunk that stuff? It is worse than Ouzo for sneaking up on you. I've never drunk it since. And those who actually know me, also know that I rarely drink more than a couple of beers (if that) a night, so it is very, very easy for me to get totally rat-arsed on amounts that most would find themselves just warming up on! Laughing

And I did work bloody hard both organising and running the trips! wink As we had several per year as well as a weekly ski club all year round, we wuz pretty committed I'd say! Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
briand6868, we stopped in Madonna and did a day on the Pinzolo slope and I thought it was quite a competent small area with some longish runs. Reasonable amount of fast lifts. We didn't go down to the Pinzolo village or the black to Tulot but we're off back to Madonna next year so we'll explore more then. There's the link to Madonna, which takes about 15 minutes but if you don't have the full area pass then this won't be a worry (the Madonna pass includes Pinzolo but I'm not sure about vice versa). There weren't that many mountain restuarants and we only used the one at the top which was functional with nice food.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
briand6868, tbh it is such a small area that you'll learn all there is to know within the first day or so but u are prob right to clamp the kids to Pinzolo as def scope for missing lift back from MdC. There are some excellent long runs incl that one Stevew mentions ie Tulot; seem to recall a nice beginners area 1/2 way up the mountain. From memory at least 2 decent pit stops for lunch and reasonable prices.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the info folks, the operator has given me a choice of 3 villages Andalo, Folgaria and Pinzolo but this being my first "schools trip" I'm taking no chances - small numbers,small area, reputable t/o and a more or less all in deal for the kids ( and the parents who are footing the bill) Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
briand6868, all three are long time standard Italian resorts used by school ski travel providers and all would meet your needs. Folgaria is where Wayneo is actually based. So I would just compare what each offers and take the best VFM for the kids in the end.

How are you intending to travel? If it is by air, then do take into account TOTAL travel time as well as the approach to the resort - as I remember they are all at the end of winding roads, so remember the travel pills, especially for the return trip. We had the most problems with kids throwing up was on the departure from the resort, not the arrival. Perhaps the anticipation was sufficient as well as the longer period with not so much food. Worst we had was in the Alpes Maritimes when they fed the kids chips with the departing meal and then handed them bars of chocolate for the journey! Nightmare mixture and obviously thought up by someone who had never had or worked with children! Shocked Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, Strange you should say that - we now have a choice of Folgaria or Pinzolo at the same price. Travel will be by air and coach transfer, I have a few days to make up my mind but Folgaria seems to be a bit bigger village with more apres for the kids - if they have any energy left ! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
briand6868, You may have Wayneo as one of your instructors if you end up in Folgaria as he is employed by the local ski school.

Which airport will you fly to? Perhaps a wee route searching in terms of distance and time might be worthwhile to see which one has you inside the coach for the least horrendous journey Laughing

All the groups I know who went to these resorts all had a great time by the way and that is going back quite a long way. We are somewhat spoilt and fussy when it comes to our personal choices. The kids may have never skied before and may in some cases never ski again, so they are happy just about anywhere to be honest as they accept conditions for what they actually are. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Just had a mail from the t/o and no flight times confirmed yet, but its to and from either Verona or Bergamo - we can't be too fussy as its half term and tricky to fit 27 in exactly as I would like it but in fairness to them they are letting me know the options and we just have to pick the best one. As you say for most of the kids its a first and the Dollies will be a fantastic area for their first experience of "real" snow in a spectacular alpine setting. I have run the school ski club with weekly visits to the dryslope for the last 4 years but this id our first foray abroad - most of my colleagues think I'm off my rocker taking a group of 16 yr olds but I just feel that if they never go again they can always say " remember the time.........". My parents who are in their 70s went for the first time with us 6 years ago and still rave about it even though they haven't been since. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
most of my colleagues think I'm off my rocker taking a group of 16 yr olds but I just feel that if they never go again they can always say " remember the time.........".

That was what made it all worthwhile for me - I still get messages from students who went on my very first trip way back in 1976 and who never skied again, but the memories! Priceless. More than half the people listed as "Friends" on Farcebook are former ski club members from my old school.

Go on enjoy it! It will be a blast no matter how bad the weather or how little snow you may have. And as you say, The Dolomites 'nuff said! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
briand6868, Be careful when mixing your Folgarias and your Folgaridas. They are not the same place. Wayne's outfit is based in Folgarida which is linked to Madonna di Campiglio. Folgaria, to the best of my knowledge, is not linked to any other resort (although it may be on the full Skirama Dolomiti area lift pass). I have been to Folgarida with my own two kids twice and can thoroughly recommend it. I don't know a great deal about Folgaria, other than it being on the other side of Trento and the best part of a two-hour drive from Madonna di Campiglio. It may well be a great little resort in its own right. Just making you aware of the difference. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
briand6868, just re-read some of this thread, my daughters school are going to Andalo next year, Hannah didn't want to go as at the time time none of her friends were going, cost me a fortune booking something else for half-term. If you would like I could try and put you in contact with the teacher at her school who organised it to see if he could help you as he might have been through the loop of some of the resorts you're looking at.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gaz C, if you look at the first post, briand6868 is talking about the one close to Madonna. There are the three villages all close-ish to Madonna - Pinzolo, Folgarida, and Andelo. They have featured in schools ski travel brochures for as long as I can remember -along with places like Aprica, Bormio Marilleva, Madesimo and Madonna itself. My mistype was possibly due to my wonky keyboard at home! But as you say, for the sake of a D you could end up quite a way away from where you thought you were going! Embarassed Laughing
latest report
I went on a school ski trip to Andalo in the early 80s. I don't remember much except a stunning view of Lake Garda from one of the top stations and burying one of our teachers in a hand-made igloo! Laughing
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, I had assumed that a D had gone AWOL somewhere but thought it wise to point out the difference between the two F's (just in case ). Smile

briand6868, you may not have been confused until I stuck my oar in Laughing, but if you are, this link ought to clarify things:

http://www.skirama.it/EN/home/

Hope it helps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy