Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts south of Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skied/boarded any of the following:

Champex
La Fouly
Vicheres
Super-St-Bernard

or anywhere else in that valley that leads down to the Grand St Bernard tunnel? I will be staying up beyond Martigny but wondered if any were worth a day trip in the hire car. Not much info to be found on the web unf, so any knowledge gratefully received.

Is it easy to park at these places?
How big are these ski areas, on piste and off?
Mountain restaurants worth visiting? or shall I pack some sarnies?!
SNOW RELIABILITY - are they likely to be open next April?

Cheers, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never skied at Champex although it's one of my favourite winter destinations for a day out away from skiing (yes they exist from time-to-time, mainly Easter & half term or when the snow is pants). Unless Cross Country skiing on the lake counts, didn't think so. Will probably try and ski there this winter as I've been checking out some OK looking lines. No problem parking.

I've skied at la Fouly, very limited really but very pretty. I'd recommend it for a day trip. Plenty of parking and generally very quiet depending on local holidays. Great gear shop but mainly for climbing / ski moutaineering. Superb croute in the restaurant in the village, which is close to the lift.

Hear great things about Vicheres on a powder day but then what you gonna do..? Powder day comes along, travel for an hour or so and then explore or go pick of some personal stashes on your own hill... It's so easy in the off season to plan these trips but when there's snow on the hill all my well made plans go to shmow. In truth there's probably still powder to be had there long after it's all tracked out in Verbier...

(I'm enjoying this post thanks the ice perv making a must do list for this winter.)

Super St Bernard I've skied the route down to Italy which was great but not something you can do over & over unless you have a driver. The buses run good. This takes some good timing with the conditions. Not sure about the lift served area,.

The only issue I would have is April... but seeing as we're going to be on the good end a north Atlantic oscillation this winter and there's going to be oodles of snow you should be OK in early April. End of April will be touch and go for the above resorts, more in terms of the lifts still being open rather than snow cover. They're also in great touring country so maybe time to get some skins?

To try and help you some more give me some more details. How long will you be there? Where abouts will you be based? Skier level? etc.

There's masses to do in this area, so whatever's going on you'll not get bored. Without giving too many secrets away Marecottes is also great for a days skiing in the Valais area, again must be early April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers parlor, I'm thinking of just before & during Easter w/end, so mid-April. So the lifts should be open (hopefully)! I am more concerned about the snow, but from what I hear Super-St-Bernard is quite high, and (presumably) the swiss side is north-facing..? I know little about the other areas.

There are the usual suspects like Verbier and Cham within driving range but we would prefer to avoid the crowds if poss. In terms of ability we like to hammer down piste as fast as possible (any colour will do), hence our aversion to crowds, but are not averse to the odd bit of lift-served off-piste. Not really into hiking deep into the back-country with a guide, touring etc.

Marecottes?? Never heard of it:- tell us more......... Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, know more about Super saint bernard than the other resorts, but the same kind of thing applies to all - very few lifts that are slow and outdated, but charming, usually decent snow conditions as they still get affected by the so-called 'lake effect', and never any queues. I would reccomend trying them out if you want to try something different than the crowds, high-speed lifts, and flattened-out terrain of the resorts people have unfortunately gotten used to these days - these resorts are definately wild, and I think more people should check them out. It would be a shame for these resorts to close due to lack of money, as they are snow-sure and give access to some wicked terrain.

Super Saint bernard is a single telecabine that goes up from 1800 to 2800m, so snow reliability is almost guaranteed. In the 2003-04 season, the grand st bernard pass got a massive cumulated snowfall of 18meters or so, and although the runs around there are rock fields in summer, visiting the place later on in the season is probably better, as it needs quite a large base, and the lift-serviced swiss side is north-facing so keeps its snow very well. There are more risks of the place not being open because its the end of the season rather than it having to close due to a lack of snow. The run over onto the Italian side is a nice long run with decent skiing at the top and bus link back through the tunnel to the bottom of the telecabine, but due to the lack of snow on the Italian side in recent years, it hasn't been open very often. This place certainly is very nice on a powder day (watch out for avalanches though), and the dodgy 'ski tunnel' to go to the black piste is quite an interesting experience.

Champex is again another small resort, 2 chairlifts, but some decent steep terrain through the trees (again, avalanches, 2 people died there a couple years ago after a massive dump). If you look around, you can find some decent lines with a little hiking.

Can't write much on the other resorts, but as previously mentioned in this thread, Marecottes is another resort where you won't experience a bad day..

If you can more or less understand french, I'd recommend you pay a visit to www.skipass.com and type the resort names into the search function of the forum - more info than the official websites, and a bunch of pictures, usually taken on a powder day when I was obviously stuck in england or paris Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend of mine in Verbier swears by all of the above for post powder days when Verbier is tracked out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers dub_01, I think I've found a website for Marecottes:

http://www.salvan.ch/index.php

I first learnt to ski in a small swiss resort before heading for the bright lights of Val, the 3 Valleys etc etc... so it will be nostalgic to get back to basics and get away from the crowds.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dub_01, thnak you I agree that small areas like this need to be preserved, if possible. I've only ever driven over the St Bernard pass in august, just the weirdest place, like a moonscape, no trees, no grass and snow still visible.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David@traxvax,
Agree, only driven past it on the way to Monterosa - the tunnel was closed..!!
When I stayed in Verbier I could never get out to the pass as the places were all taken on the bus....!!
Locals of Verbier and the like would know more as it is a stash haven like Bruson, I've heard..!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Verbier two years ago with two friends and hired a guide who took us to both Super St. Bernard (twice) and Champex after a heli-run on the Petit Combin another day. Super St. Bernard was really great. The ski tunnel there is worth checking out on it's own because it's so unique. (Snowbird is building a "euro-style" ski tunnel right now but it will be nothing like this one which feels and looks like you're headed into a mine. Snowbird's will have a moving carpet.) We skied into two different villages in Italy from Super St. Bernard two different days. Both places were great and more importantly the off-piste runs even better. In one of the villages, St. Rhemy, there's a fantastic, asmospheric restaurant for lunch in the Hotel Suisse. St. Rhemy is very small, pedestrian only, and completely stone, a really cool place to check out. A great way to end a beautiful off piste run. If the snow is good while you're there, Bruson, across the valley from Verbier is definitely worthwhile. It doesn't get nearly the amount of skiers as Verbier, maybe 1%, and it holds snow well. There's a neat old Swiss feel there too with the smelly barns in town and the base lift going right over some old chalets on the slopes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bruson closes it's lifts around mid April. If the lifts are still open when you are there it's easy to get too, good parking and reasonable lifts compared to the resorts ^^^. There's a great new restaurant at the top of la Pasay chair too, with a spectacular view. I spent lots of time last winter in Bruson, well more importantly skiing from Bruson down to Sembrancher... Heaven.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers Jack, I think a day-trip is in order to ski the tunnel if nothing else!

Are the other areas of the "4Valleys" (La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veysonnaz, Siviez etc....) likely to be worth a visit around mid-April? Or will they have melted away in the spring sun? As we will have a car I am not bothered if the links between areas are closed, so long as I have enough terrain for a day at a time I am happy.

Thanks for your help. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ice perv,
Quote:

Are the other areas of the "4Valleys" (La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veysonnaz, Siviez etc....) likely to be worth a visit around mid-April?

Of course it depends on the snow, but I'm not sure I'd drive all that way if the links aren't open. There's nothing that special over that way, some nice stuff off the side of the Greppon Blanc but it's fairly limited. If I was getting in the car and going up the valley I'd carry on a bit further to Grimentz and Zinal where I understand there's some really interesting terrain.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anybody seen or used this website before? It claims to have regularly updated snow reports for the area we are talking about:

http://www.bestofsnow.ch/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor,
Quote:

well more importantly skiing from Bruson down to Sembrancher...

Which way do you do that then? Skier's right off la pasay, round the side of the black, over the meadow and past the barn, but what happens next?

I managed a Mont Fort to Le Chable without using any lifts late last feb, but Bruson to Sembrancher sounds pretty cool.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You want Mont Fort - Le Chable, bus to bruson, two chairs, a drag. Another awesome descent. And then a train back to Le Chable. Bubble to Ruinettes decend to back door of Chalet, off with ski boots, decend 30m to Mont Fort for Apres Ski.

Past the barn? not sure I remember a barn I've skied this 15+ times now unless you mean the barn heading down to the drag under le Sesal (Six Blanc). You head down and along the ridge from le Pasay as if skiing the itenerie run back to le Chable. Once you get into the woods you peel off to the left into a meadow. You may not have been this far as lots of people head skiers right down on the itinerie earlier. From here there are several routes, the best being two amazing pitches of 25-35*, not very long in length but always deserted - until word got out that the conditions were right. And some perfectly spaced trees too...

Without giving too much away (is half knowledge more dangerous?), once you ski out of the trees (along a path for some it) you can see Sembrancher. Ski to the bottom and then a 10 minute walk to the train station.

THIS IS NOT A TRAIL GUIDE. And I won't give any more details away as you really need to be shown one of the routes down. I can, however, recommend guides and a black guide or two Wink

Last year was funny like that, I went off the back off Mont Fort maybe three times, not including Cat Walk but ended up skiing lots of Verbier - Le Chable and Bruson - Sembrancher. Good low snow coverage and high winds up top.
latest report
Steve Sparks,

Val D Anni'..!!
Which is where we are going..
snow report
parlor, I'd really appreciate guide contacts...we now have a shack in Le Chable which we can call our own.
It would be really wonderful to ski all the way down if the snow allowed it, and Brson-Sembrancher sounds like a route to know too.

We'll be there several times over the season...I'll buy the first round if you want to meet up for a swift half one day.
ski holidays
rungsp,

I had a great couple of days with Stephen Hadik last year. He's a regular in Le Rosbif. http://www.alpine-guiding.com. Mention I sent you.

Parlor, thanks for that I'm hoping to get a few days over in Bruson this season and will get Stephen to show me the way!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy