Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French gendarmes to patrol Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
But not to deal with Skiers it's the hikers they are after.......

Quote:
We get between 30 and 50 tents at the foot of the Goûter Hut every night with waste everywhere, notably organic. It's disgusting," said Philippe Bonnano, mountain guide with Terre d'Aventures agency.

"Some people don't take their rubbish back down, and as for the rest, I won't go into all the crap and loo paper out there," captain Patrice Ribes of the Chamonix high mountain gendarmerie unit told The Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10106343/French-gendarmes-to-patrol-Mont-Blanc.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This doesn't surprise me... which is a shame.

But it's interesting that the whole mountain code usually goes along the idea of 'Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints' I've done long distance hikes in the past and NEVER left any of my rubbish up the mountain, even taking down used loo roll!

The French are notoriously arrogant when it comes to conservation, yes the authorities make all the right noises, but the public are a different matter entirely! I've been through the Mercantour national park, where you're not allowed to walk off the track, use walking poles or even touch rocks because of the level of erosion and environmental effects... but the French STILL trek 'off-piste' !

Of course I'm not saying it's just French, but I know from my own personal experience they always see these problems as the result of someone elses behaviour - not their own!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bet all nationalities of climbers leave their crap up the mountain! Actually, walking in the French Alps in summer (just casual walking, not high mountain trekking) I've been pleasantly surprised by how little litter people seem to leave, though there are plenty of walkers. Rather less than one would expect to find in a similarly busy bit of countryside in the UK, actually. Come to that, I was saying just yesterday, having been walking along some coastal beauty spots in Liguria, that Italians seem to drop less litter than Brits - the streets of Genoa are mostly not bad, either. Certainly a heap better than Havant!

I wonder what the fine will be for pooing on Mont Blanc?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, generally the lower mountains are well looked after and I often don't find any litter either. But it's a different story when hiking for several days carrying a reasonably heavy pack. Every gram comes into play and I've often HAD to make decisions about how much water I should carry... often not carrying enough water because it's too heavy (1 litre weighs approx. 1 kilo) opting to carry 1 1/2 litres on top of 8 kilos (not as heavy as some, but heavy enough when climbing) in my pack in temperatures in excess of 37 degrees C and hiking for 8 hours above 2400m... But that's a decision I made as a responsible and serious hiker/trekker.

So in short it doesn't shock me that unfortunately there are people out there who think dumping their litter is an easy route out of having to carry the weight... I normally carry dried pasta and a cup a soup with a bit of saucisson and cheese, with some baguette... If you carry these in individual freezer bags there's no waste that weighs anything...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 10-06-13 16:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I bet all nationalities of climbers leave their crap

Maybe a portaloo at the summit might be a compromise?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Filthyphil30k,
Quote:

Complete with little old lady sat outside demanding cash Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musher, haha.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Filthyphil30k wrote:
pam w wrote:
I bet all nationalities of climbers leave their crap

aka the Vallot Hut
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or the American solution on Mt Whitney, the WAG bag.
http://www.mount-whitney.com/hiking_backpacking_mt_whitney/mt_whitney_wag_bags.php
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When you're multi-day climbing big walls in the US then you are obliged to carry a 's**t tube' and bring it down with you after the climb.

Prior to this it was always risky approaching the foot of a big wall especially in the early morning.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also apparently the amount of refuse left in the Goûter Hut (and all the rest I imagine) is a real problem. Your supposed to take everything with you but staff find stashes of refuse in the most imaginative hiding places.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy