Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba very busy Feb midterm ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are 5 families planning a ski trip around South African midterm weekend 21 Feb to 24 Feb - we plan on extending it a bit around the dates
and were favouring the week 22 feb to 1 March.
I have received great recommendations here before for Dolomites, and we thought Arabba sounded good for next year.
I enquired at Portovescovo hotel and all their family rooms and others are fully booked as they have a big party in that week.

They have however offered us the week 15 to 22 Feb - which I think is British halfterm - and then to move to Bella Vista for few days extra.

Three of the families joining have kids that will ski for the first time, and the rest of us would like to roam quite extensively ( Sella Ronda, Hidden Valley, Marmolade , Word War tour etc.)

I have to make a decision soon as possible, and were just wondering how busy midterms in Arabba was , and if anybody who has been there over that time have any advice?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were in Canazei this year and half-term was not busy. We had at most five mins to wait for a lift apart from the gondola up from Canazei which varied between 3 to 15 mins. German and Italian visitors pedominate so it their hols which you have to consider.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have been to Selva val Gardena for the past 3 February half terms, and this year was one of the quietest. I agree with beequin about Uk not being the major visitors, we heard more American voices than Brits.
There are one or two pinch points around the Sella Ronda, depending on what time you hit these areas, Covara around 3 o'clock, the Hidden Valley taxi, Bellvedere at times, Porta Vescovo gondola, but no more than a few minutes, and most of the time you have plenty of room on the piste.
This is a video I did this year, and it gives you an idea of how busy the slopes are, and a bit of a view of Santa Croce, Alpe di Susi, and Alba, as well as Selva.

http://youtube.com/v/-mw3ptu9a5A
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the videoBartezki, it brings back nice memories from Selva new years trip a while ago - loved the beautifull monastery next to Saslong? slope.
Reassured me that halfterm not too busy in Italy.
We will get into Venice at around 9h00 in the morning on changeover Saturday, and will hopefully be on our way before transfers get busy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somehow I don't think Arabba can be very busy at half term. It is not a place where a lot of day skiers can go there for a day. The small town has a fixed number of hotel and that is it. Going there from either Canazei or Alta Badia must be by a mountain pass each which can close when there is a big snow dump.

Being one of the 4 corners of the Sella Ronda, with 560km piste in total, it would be difficult to get everybody at Arabba even though it is a major thoroughfare on the Sella Ronda circuit plus going up Marmolada which of course is the major route of the World War I skiing tour (bottom of Maromolada has bus services to Civetta the No. 12 skiing area of Dolomites).

I think relatively speaking Arabba is the quietest corner of Sella Ronda as itself is very small having 62km piste whereas Selva Gardena has 175km, Alta Badia 130km and Val Di Fass/Canazei has 120km.

Arabba is also handy for visiting Cortina d' Ampezzo.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Arrabba this half term and it wasn't too busy. Having said which, the UK half term has nothing whatsoever to do with the busyness of the Dolomites. The only relevant thing is Fasching or German Half term. This year it was the year before English half term so it was really quiet the week we were there.

check the dates for next year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It looks as if Fasching is from 27 Feb onwards, and then we should be ok - have booked 15 to 24 Feb in Arabba.
We are a group of about 20 - so should make it busy on our own!
Thanks for all help
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy