Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiver killer mount

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quick question regarding some new skis I had mounted with quiver killer inserts. A few of the inserts have raised the topsheet 1-2mm above the flat (around the holes) and to my untrained eye the mount looks a little scrappy compared to rest. Is this a big problem?

Can post pics if I can discover how to use media zone.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Qk1
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

qk2
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elston, yep, you've had some top sheet eruption there which is too proud to be left as it'll mean that a lot of the torsional load on the binding will be on the mounting screws rather than transmitted directly on the ski (as when the binding is sitting flat).

You have a couple of options:

1. Warm up the insert for 15-30 secs with the tip of soldering iron to soften the epoxy & then use an M5 screw/double lock nut assembly to remove the insert to enable you to dress off the top sheet with a chisel & check the hole/thread depth etc prior to re-gluing/re-installation etc.

2. Use a file/dremel to flush down the top sheet/insert. To avoid damaging the internal thread you MUST first install an M5x5mm grub screw in to the insert until it bottoms out - this can then removed after filing/grinding to 're-cut' any damage to the top thread of the insert. I've got the grub screws in stock if you need some.

BTW, from your other pics it looks like the other 'unaffected' holes still have a slightly raised surrounding & also need dressing off with a chisel. Hopefully you're dressing off any burrs on the top sheet after the both the initial drilling & then after tapping the thread?

This type of top sheet eruption (also known as volcano'ing) often happens when bindings are installed conventionally but one never sees it as the binding covers the area. The problem with a Quiver Killer insert is that ones work is always on show Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have passed a sharp blade across the base of the volcano with no worries, does the trick - do it slowly, one sweep rarely does itf
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, barry thanks.
Based on the above pics would the binding even sit flush to the ski?

I must admit that I was expecting a job well done, or at the very least a finished product, for the price paid and it would be a lot of hassle to drop them back to the shop.

I'll think about what to do in the morning but TBH I could do without the hassle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
top of your insert should be JUST below flush with the ski - it shouldnt be flush with top of volcano. if it is, get it in further to where it should naturally sit, then you should still be able to trim back the volcano sides - should be pretty easy to remove

this is actually pretty common - not only when do inserts, happens doing striaght-attached bindings too - trick is clean up the hole including any volcanoing before proceeding to mount/insert. But you should still be able to tidy it up at this stage without too much hassle
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elston, mostly it's the skis construction that causes it unless the insert hole has been drilled too shallow - which is unlikely as the installation drill has either a stop collar or shoulder & the other holes are all fine. I've had ones like that although with experience (I've installed over 800 sets) you get to know the makes/models that might be susceptible however it's only a few minutes job to dress them down properly. Some skis you can never get truly smooth but that's no diffferent to mounting a conventional binding. They do need some attention though to correctly seat the binding to the ski so I'd take 'em back to whoever installed them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suppose it would depend on a number of factors, such as height of "volcano" and binding material, but could you not slightly countersink the binding plate so it sits flat?. Bit extreme I suppose so I await being shot down in flames.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ really no need (and i know i'd make a balls of it!). Countersinking is a good point though - if you use a proper counter sink "ski" drill to drill the ski, this issue is reduced (but can still sometimes occur, but it is certainly easier to clean up the raised/split material if hole is "countersunk")
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy