Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains - shorten/make smaller

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a set of 235/65/18 diamond chains.
Has anyone had success in removing links in order to fit a smaller tyre size - 235/65/17.
Alternatively using bungee straps to tighten and hold.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

moosewurst, it's not difficult to remove/replace links but might be difficult to get the size just right. I wouldn't use bungee - you need something much firmer, I reckon. This lash up worked well. This was early October, so I still had summer tyres on and no chains the right size.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks that's simple. Were you able to drive up to 25mph?
With 14 lengths of chain across the tread it could be a long job, but I might give it a go (seems you can do it with chisel, hammer and pliers).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i would have thought it would be a case of just shortening the chain as the depth and width of the tyre is the same as before
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easier to swap them for some the right size!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Were you able to drive up to 25mph?

yes, they were no more (or less) of a pain than chains normally are. But I definitely wouldn't use bungee - too sloppy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do people not use rubber tensioners with chains as standard?

(Cue only in the dungeon gags)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Do people not use rubber tensioners with chains as standard?

yes, but the rubber tensioners which are standard parts of some chains (generally cheaper ones I think) have little in common with "bungee". They are short, strong, and not that stretchy - I am not very strong and I really struggle to stretch some of them, which is one reason why I have more expensive chains with automatic tensioners.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy