Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potential first trip to Schladming

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a number of trips to France with virtual ski in ski out, but the high prices at New Year I have been looking at other options and Scladming has come up. I know here on Snowheads there are folks who will know the resort and will be able to tell me the good and bad points - so - please tell me what you know. I had been looking at the Hotel Kirchenwirt with Crystal but nothing booked yet. Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5-10 min walk to the lifts by the look of it, no idea about ski bus. http://goo.gl/maps/RjHoz

It's an excellent ski area, plenty enough for the week in Schladming and the hills that link to... But the lift pass covers an even bigger area which is linked by bus and worth looking at if you do want to explore further. Austria tends to have a more relaxed feel to it than France, we really enjoy it there (we've always had a good time in France too though).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed at the Kirchenwirt last January and had a great time
The hotel is an older traditional type but we had no complaints at all and the food was excellent
There is a ski depot at the Gondola where you can store your boots and skis so the morning walk from the hotel is a great way to get over the previous nights partying (if that's your thing)
We found the ski area very good with the only proviso that is not great for beginners
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done this same holiday several times. First of all it's not ski in ski out. This is Austria, it's different. First off get lockers at the Planai they go on your lift pass. Buy it at the same time a you get your lift pass, same price as the tour ops. The Kirchenwirt is a traditional Austrian hotel that's more of a restaurant with rooms than a hotel, but don't let that put you off. We've been three times and really like the place, but we've not been to Frogland in years. You've got four mountains linked in one area. There is no real hardcore black stuff, only a couple FIS downhill courses. Reiteralm is excellent fun. Mountain cafes are typically Austrian , small good fun and good value with wholesome food and don't forget the schnapps! Anything else please ask later when we're fully sober. Much more to add later if you want.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There is no real hardcore black stuff, only a couple FIS downhill courses.

Only a couple of black runs.... but plenty of 'hardcore' stuff... just got to know where to look wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
flangesax, beer fuelled thoughts last night, was only thinking of on piste stuff Very Happy Re Steve.S, point about beginners, have wondered where complete novices staying in Schladming go to start with. Do they have to get a bus up to Rohrmoos?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could head up to Rohrmoos or go up to the nursery area by the park. Blue Tomato does snowboard lessons by mid-station.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your thoughts. I had heard that ski hire is more expensive in Austria (I have my own stuff but the rest of family hire)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisb, There are rumours to that effect, but I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Ask flangesax for advice as they really know the area and the people.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, Thanks. Summer has finally arrived in Newcastle so I now start thinking about the snow again......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been there and stayed in Rohrmoos
Regarding ski-in ski-out, Rohrmoos is the exception to the rule, most hotels and B&B are next to the slopes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skis boots and poles are between €80 - €120 ish depending where you are staying and what quality you are after.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb, I think it depends where you go. In Kitzbuhel last year ski hire for us was a lot more expensive, where as this year in flangesax's recommended friendly hire shop not far from Schladming it was very reasonable.

I tried looking for the actual costs but couldn't find last years. This year 2 x red level ski, 1 x kids skis and boots, 3 x poles = €127 using Alpinresorts to book.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 6-06-13 0:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite, thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy