Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inner boots discomfort question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
..anyone ran into their inner boots causing discomfort?

My inner-boots have a soft plastic cover which pinches the tops of my foot, they seem to have about 4mm of plastic outside the stitching so I'm going to (carefully) trim them down to ease the pressure a little. Any other solutions? (except new boots - which are on the list but not before the end of the season!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like we need the advice of someone who might keep a small zoo? We need a virtual "Batlight" with "SZK" on it!...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
was half asleep when I wrote that last night - they're Head EZON 9.6's by the way.

I've trimmed about 3mm off the plastic with my trusty leatherman - and it seems to have made quiet a difference for the short time I spent with them on my feet last night.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's hard to tell without seeing the boot & its liner.

So the only advise that can be given is take the boot to someone who knows. For DIY help try one or all of the following three things:

1) Shave as much of the plastic off as you dare. (What is under the plastic? Is the plastic stitched to another material?)
2) Reshape the plastic so it can no longer pinch. Use some heat, I use a blowtorch but take care, and then reshape to stop the pinching.
3) Place some thin, non-compressible foam between the shell & the liner where the boot is pinching. This should allow the pressure to be spread more evenly.

There must be an emergency in Chamonix City, or a small lion escaped, or similar...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Problem solved. The plastic in the tongue often gets carried under the liner when moulding. Take care when putting your foot in.

If your having your liners heat moulded, ask the bootfitter to put the plastic bag each boot comes in over your socks. You'll slide in better and often wont twist the plastic on the liner. Be careful not to let your feet move around too much in the boot whilst you do this and please dont try and lift your heels to see if they are well held. The bag reduces friction and helps you in and out of your hopefully tight ski boots. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I should have been more clear on this when I originally typed it - but cheers for the comments.

The shell doesn't seem to have much to do with it - on my inners, the plastic tounge "guard" is stitched to a fabric padded tongue - problem is that the padding is pulled tight at the stiching, and the plastic overhang would dig into my foot when the (entire) boot was done up as the padding wasn't cushioning it.

I think the simple trimming of a few mm's off the overhang has done the trick - and might actually make me like these boots more for recreational skiing!

*edit* - Just thought I'd say - I don't think it's anything wrong with the boots as they are bought; but I have custom footbeds which I guess lift my foot up just enough for the plastic to be annoying!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy