Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites for Kids - Recommendations Appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're just looking at our first trip away from our regular haunt in France which we've been going to for years. We fancy the Dolomites as a change of country and scenery. Our kids, both good skiers, will be 10 and 7 so we'd need a family room, which cuts down the options quite a bit. I fancy being on the Sella Ronda as I went there years ago and wasn't quite good enough then.

So I was wondering if any of the SHs had recommendations of family friendly hotels/resorts we could start looking at - that would be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowhouse, Esprit have a few places in Selva which have family rooms. Haven't been with them to Selva but have had good holidays with them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dolomites is an excellent choice. Are you going out by car?
We stayed in Canazei, which has plenty of hotels and facilities, but went self-catering so much more space. I would recommend an apartment as they are growing up and you will have the opportunity to play card games, watch videos, etc. in the evenings. Options range from expensive £3,000 plus to the minimal € 800 or less (assuming high season). Try the http://www.visitfassa.com website and you will get lots of replies to your request, hotel or apartment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ, I think a chalet's not for us at the moment. From past experience everyone can get a bit on top of each other, especially with stranger, but thanks anyway.

beequin, Probably, we're used to a long drive. I'll check it out, though hotel is our first choice as the kids are desperate to stay in one(!). Canazei is where I stayed back in the 90's. Very nice as I remember it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What kind of standard are you looking for?

This is one of the very few on piste hotels

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I'm thinking sort of middling, what you sent looks interesting especially the free flowing wine part! Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowhouse wrote:
kitenski, I'm thinking sort of middling, what you sent looks interesting especially the free flowing wine part! Thanks

Mountainsun is a bit 'cheep 'n' cheerful' but it's very very good location wise - it's slightly off the sella but only a few lifts to get down into corvara to hook into the circuit. Lovely blue run to cruise home on at the end of the day. I've stayed there the last 2 years in a row and would go back.

Loads of snowheads stay here on the birthday bash - http://www.portavescovo.it/ which is in Arabba, so bang on the sella but possibly not a location for the more 'timid intermediates' as being on the circuit the home runs tend to get busier and mogullier, than say San Cassiano. Pool. small gym and spa area ('austrian rules' may apply in sauna). If you get bored of the food, then couple of good pizza places in town - gasthof pordoi is fab - amazing puddings and cheap as chips. dolomitistars run buses to/from Venice which works well on weekend changeover days

I've always been tempted to stay in Colfosco as another option if going with family as think it's got easy acess to most things - and easier 'home runs' then Arabba, but have never got round to it. Other tour operator places include Selva Val Gardena. Colletts run some nicer hotels in the dolomites which always seem to get decent reviews (I have no experience myself) but they can wrap into a package if you don't want to travel independently - http://www.colletts.co.uk/our-accommodation/#winter

Lots of 'fab' ski away days to go at including:
- The Sella - try either route (green a little easier in theory) - takes a day if you potter/digress/lunch. 4 hours for a 'resonably paced' push around the orange, if you're Ronald then you go both ways before lunchtime.
- Trip to santa croce - loverly church above alta badia, restaurant up by the church and a greateasy red run back down, usually very quiet as at one end of the sector.
- Cinqui Torre & Hidden Valley - a must see if the weather is good

Enjoy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, some great pointers - thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've stayed in Canazei (2012) and San Cassiano (2013, with Bertie Bassett) and agree with his points completely. Canazei is potentially the better resort, as it is on the SR, and has more 'to do'. We stayed with Crystal, who did offer family rooms, and the accommodation was of better quality than Mountain Suns offering. What Mountain Sun has over Canazei is the location, it is on the piste. If the kids are happier skiing all day i'd go for San Cassiano, but if they get bored mid-afternoon and want something else to do, Canazei is probably better. Selva is a bigger resort again, but very Germanic!!! At least you have made the right choice and decided to leave the French queues, and head to the Dolomites. You won't be disappointed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
slight off topic, but has anyone skied this area during the second week of April, and if so, how was the snow?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
slight off topic, but has anyone skied this area during the second week of April, and if so, how was the snow?

they often close after Easter Monday. IIRC in the '11 season Easter was 8/9th April and much comment that 'bring your bikes' if coming at easter. Certainly c. 17th March didn't feel like it would last til easter and the sella closed before the holiday weekend

last season was a diff. kettle of fish - probably still some white stuff around today judging by the Giro footage...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, bertie bassett,

I as there Easter last year and it was dire, from Arabba the only direction was to go up he Portavescovo cable car then venture towards the Belvedere area. Looking at the webcams this year for the same week it was far far better, so suppose its pay your money take your chance.

BTW Arabba Sporthotel is far superior in all aspects to Portavescovo at not much more cost, i have booked 3 singles for next year with no supplement.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett, Kel, thanks, you confimed what I suspect, would love to take the kids there, but we tend to go at Easter....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
in Arabba, so bang on the sella but possibly not a location for the more 'timid intermediates'

'snot a problem. We took two kids aged 5 and 7 there this year and they had a whale of a time. I was quite worried initially when I booked but they had no problems. If your party are complete beginners/completely hopeless then they may have issues but assuming they ski better than your average 5 year old then they'll be fine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't forget Madonna di Campglio. We had a great time there this year with the kids.
snow conditions
Don't know your price range but we stayed at rosa alpina. Good for kids. We were 3 families, with one family in the hotel fanes ( also good).

We also saw the Lagacio luxury apartment type things which could be a good option and would be cheaper.

Hope that helps. Happy to give more info if needed.
ski holidays
We stayed here http://www.hotelsassleng.com/en/ which I can't recommend highly enough. Handy for Sella Ronda access at Canazei and also for Ciampac/Buffaure area on the other side of the valley road. Judging from the great reviews on TripAdvisor, we weren't the only ones who thought it was marvellous. Enjoy the Dolomites. They are terrific for family skiing.
snow conditions
snowhouse, don;t know if you've already booked. We stopped in Selva with Esprit a few years ago and really liked the chalet and position, unfortunately they don't do that one any more. The nursery slopes were quite near and extensive but with could be a slog to the main lifts; would I go back yes. We also stopped at Madonna di Campglio last year, more compact nearly as scenic but agian you need to be in the right position to be convenient for the lifts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy