Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Villaret du Nial

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody stayed there or lives there? Thinking about renting a place for the season in the village and was looking for some more information regarding:

Access - are the minor roads cleared in the village, would a 4x4 be needed lets say?
Bars - I have found a hotel on the main road but was wondering if there were any others?
Amenities - small shop, tebac etc

Personally I couldn't give a toss, I'm just there to ski really but the wife is asking all these questions. I was hoping to rent a place in the Chamonix valley, but her in doors put paid to that. Something about not having enough to do for 2 year old twin boys and the skiing being too hard core.rolling eyes
She has a point - so new search in Espace Killy.

Apologies to the female snowheads for my outwardly chauvinistic comments! Please don't lambast me with scathing replies.Embarassed

It's only 3kms from Val D so I was considering a MTB with studded snow tyres just to get me to the funicular or into town.

Any advice (sensible please)

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be amazed if a small village near Val DI has more to do for toddlers than a significant town like Chamonix. Even counting shopping for luxury brands. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking at the satellite images on Google there are 16 buildings in Villaret du Nial, take a guess on how many of them are shops.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hahahahahaha I think see was looking at whats on offer in Val DI and Tignes. She doesn't want to be in a big town but I don't want to be too far away from the uplift either. Believe it or not the apartment/chalets are cheeper in Villaret than Cham.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Looking at the satellite images on Google there are 16 buildings in Villaret du Nial, take a guess on how many of them are shops.

Thanks for that! I take it thats for the rolling of the eyes about my Mrs. Fair enough.

Working on some of Googles imagery, it can actually be few years old. So you never know, this lovely little village could have experienced a surge in development fuelled by russian oligarchs! Hence the request for local knowledge, priceless in my experience.

I was after some genuine feedback like - "Oh yes the hotel will deliver meals to self catering chalets in the village" or "No, there are no tabacs but there is a small kiosk connected to the hotel but the nearest..." etc......

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, My apologies, you have been very helpful on a previous thread. Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I have stayed in Villaret before...in answer to your questions:

a) the side road up into the village from the main road is not maintained during the winter. if you are staying at the top of the village you will need a 4x4 / winter tyres / chains. Otherwise, you can park at the bottom, just on the side of the main road and walk up a set of steps - there's about 100 of them though so not great when you get to the bottom in the morning and realise you left your ski pass in the apartment.....

b) bars/shops - there are none. the hotel on the side of the road is used as staff accommodation for the Blizzard hotel in Val d'Isere so it is not a functioning hotel.

c) access to resort - a bike would be fine to cycle along the main road, and for the most part the main road is maintained so you wouldn't necessarily need studded tyres. However, whether you go to Tignes or to Val d'Isere you have to go through tunnels. Not much fun on a bike, particularly with a pair of skis strapped to your back!

I think it's a nice place to stay for a quiet-ish week - great views over the lake, and a short drive to either Tignes or Val to ski. However, I wouldn't consider it for a season, even less so if I was armed with kids. If your wife thinks that there is nothing to do in Chamonix, then there is even less to do in Villaret. Getting into resort will quickly become a faff, even more so with toddlers I'd imagine.

If you don't want to be in a big town but do want easy access to uplift in the Espace Killy why not look at either Tignes les Brevieres or Le Fornet (top end of Val d'Isere). smaller town atmosphere but more to do within walking distance. Fornet has the advantage of a free bus service too, so less need for a car.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buddy1664, I'm not enough of a "local" to the area to be offended, I have driven past the turning to the village a fair number of times but am just guessing on the size of the place.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, Fair one, Cheers

El Contador, Thanks for all the advice. Just found quite a nice place in Villaret thats not a ridiculous price.......... but there's a reason for that it seems.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are zero facilities of any kind in le Villaret. The road up through it is steep and would be hazardous in winter even in a well-equipped vehicle. Travelling by foot or bicycle would be a VERY bad idea (dark tunnels, narrow roads, icy conditions). The tunnels are terrifying on a bike even in summer.

Chamonix would be a much, much better place for a season with kids. Le Villaret might be one of the worst places I can think of.

I live just down the road BTW.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd, thanks. The place just looked ideal, but if you cant get up to it unless you're in a piste basher then it's not much good! Sad

Parking down on the main road seems madness.

Thanks again to all for the advice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The place just looked ideal

Puzzled Ideal in what possible way? It does sound like you need to do some thinking about the 2 year olds. What would they be doing through a winter in the UK? If your family is used to living in an isolated spot with no other families around, and making your own entertainment, you probably don't need to think too much about "facilities". But lots of people find things such as play groups, friends with similar aged kids, indoor play areas, swimming pools, etc etc, are useful sources of entertainment.

Does your wife ski? If you both want to ski together, rather than take it in turns, some kind of child care would be a minimum requirement?

I have spent most of the last ten winters in a ski resort which, in summer, is bursting with bicycles. There must be a reason why I have never, ever, seen one in winter..... wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Ideal in what possible way?

Price, interior, space, aspect....... but yes it's all about location location location. Hence the reason for the marked price differential. It's all a compromise.

Quote:

It does sound like you need to do some thinking about the 2 year olds.

That was the reason for the OP and the fact that I won't pay the season prices for a central apartment in Val. Believe me with twins unless you live within easy walking distance of all those.....
Quote:

"facilities". But lots of people find things such as play groups, friends with similar aged kids, indoor play areas, swimming pools, etc etc, are useful sources of entertainment.

.......then you're loading up the car anyway.

Quote:

What would they be doing through a winter in the UK? If your family is used to living in an isolated spot with no other families around, and making your own entertainment

I don't live within 3 kms (distance to Val) of a creche/play groups/swimming pools/indoor play areas in the UK, therefore you need to load up the car again. We've been living in East Africa for the last 6 months and you travel in your car everywhere! If it dumps and the road is closed, then sledging in that "isolated spot" sounds pretty dam good to 2 year old twin boys - "making your own entertainment" I think you called it.

Quote:

Does your wife ski? If you both want to ski together, rather than take it in turns, some kind of child care would be a minimum requirement?

Yes she does....... If we want to ski together we all get in the car and drive to the creche. Kids have a great time for the morning and we get to ski together. Isn't that what 90% of couples do with young children when they go on a ski holiday? The only difference is that I've driven 15 mins to get there, just like most local french families do every weekend.

Quote:

I have spent most of the last ten winters in a ski resort which, in summer, is bursting with bicycles. There must be a reason why I have never, ever, seen one in winter.....

I would think most of those people have made the pilgrimage to the Alps in summer to either MTB or road bike the best trails/mountain passes in the world. I'm simply suggesting using a mountain bike with winter studded tyres to get from A-B on a maintained road. If the equipment can deal with frozen icy single track then I'm sure it can deal with that road in majority of conditions when ridden in a sensible manner. If the conditions are too severe then I'll take the Bus. Plus most people don't like the cold and are just being soft as the preverbal.

El Contador,By look of you're chosen username you might know a thing or two about push bikes. The advice about the tunnels is heeded. It's a shame that in a country that embraces all things two wheeled, that a cyclist with the correct equipment (lights/helmet) can not travel along a public highway without the fear of being knocked off by a dangerous driver, irrespective of season or dark tunnels.

All that being said looks like we are going to rent somewhere in the middle of Cham. Very Happy The chance of not being able to drive to within 200m of your front door (both height and distance!) was just unworkable.

pam w, I'm still taking the MTB though Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buddy1664, winter in the Alps is great - but there must be a good reason why, in a region where many people are keen and skilled cyclists, and certainly not afraid of the cold, they don't ride their bikes much in the winter. Very few motorbikes about, either.

Just "jumping in the car" isn't so easy if it's under a foot of snow - and covered parking tends to add to the cost. By no means all alpine resorts have a creche you could leave kids in - but there are some good reports of some (I think there were very positive reports of a creche in Samoens). I don't think 90% of British holiday skiers leave their kids in a local creche, actually. I think many choose accommodation with bundled child care and the more budgetally-challenged look after them themselves, sharing child-care with friends and relations.

You might find that a valley town such as Sallanches, or Brides les Bains, or a resort which is also a proper place, such as St Gervais (I can only speak for French ones) will offer a better range of facilities within buggy-pushing distance and particularly a better range of options for long-term childcare (ie the sort of things which locals will be using). Streets in those towns will swiftly be rendered navigable after snowstorms.

When you are looking at rental options, find out what arrangements are made for digging you out. Some will have contracts for people to do that (though they won't necessarily have done it very early in the morning, if you want to go out then) and others will leave you to make your own arrangements, or dig it yourself. If you are up a mountain, as opposed to in a small place in town, there could be a fair bit of digging to do. The few people round my place who have DIY snow-clearing arrangements use a fraise a neige, which looks rather fun - though I expect the novelty could wear off.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I ride both. Thats my point.... keen, skilled cyclists that ride a bike just for pleasure are sat on a turbo trainer in their front room all winter. Why should they go out when the roads are in that condition or it's really cold. The Flemish would be an exception to that though. I simply want to go from A-B and only 3kms. If it's not feasible because the tunnels are too dangerous or the road insufficiently maintained then I'll take heed but not because you don't see people doing it. Hence the OP - and a few SHs have given me a good reason or two.

There are only a few types motorcycle, with the appropriate studded tyres, that I would consider riding in the snow and ice. Plus the fact that you'd have to change the tyres when the conditions improved. The power of a motorcycle being laid down on just the rear wheel leave it prone to high siding on icy conditions. Add that to their added weight when cornering.... you'll be heading for the snow bank unless you're very skilled and have the right equipment.
MTBs aren't as much fun in the snow and ice but they can still be used if with the correct equipment. The only issues come with significant gradient change where can't get enough traction (ascending) or even the smallest of braking inputs cause you to slide (descending), even this can be controlled by using the back brake only.

I realise you don't just jump in the car if you've got a foot of fresh. I'm willing to take half hour to clear that, I'll even be signing when I do it. "Is the driveway/access road cleared by anybody?" is one of my first questions I ask. I could see how that may become tiresome over time.
Yes, Val does have a few creches and has childcare that will travel down the valley to VdN. There are no bundled child care accommodation for someone wanting to do a season, unfortunately. We will be doing 99% of the childcare ourselves and sharing with family.

Thanks for the recommendation of a real town not just resort. I think you're bang on. Chamonix ticks that box.

It's all a big compromise....... Smile

Thanks to all for their advice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy