Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling folk interested in BASI training, Level 1 or 2....

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking for some training to do early season in order to get through my L2 tech resit, and came across what looks like a cracking deal from Inside Out.

From looking at some other courses, they seem a bit too 'generic' for me and not aimed at getting thru my L2, or chuffing expensive!

This seems to be well priced and tailored at folk already at L1 or wanting to do their L1.

Personally I've found this kind of technical training really has improved my overall piste and off piste skiing, my mates who usually just take the mickey even said they could see an improvement in my skiing.

Both myself and my wife want to book onto this, so we only need two more folk to get the course confirmed and thus let us book cheaper flights and cheap accomodation!

So anyone else up for it? There have been plenty of threads around folk thinking of doing some instructor training, so the InsideOut 'inside' sessions would be a good way to dip your toe into the water, with the week Alpine training being a fantastic way to fine tune your skiing and polish up some areas IMHO.

Info on the inside bits and alpine training here http://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/fasttrack.html

So anyone else interested, curious or need a bit of encouragement to sign up??

cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-05-13 15:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
could be persuaded for the indoor element but probably not the Meribel bit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wait clear this up for me, is it either meribel OR indoor?

because it said you must take part in 3 of these events/dates or something
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm probably going to do some of the indoor sessions, but need to work out which ones due to unfortunate scheduling of other things (like the BASI L1 weekend course at Hemel in August), and will wait and see about the Meribel ones.

mag1882, it's a minimum of three indoor sessions. You can add more if you want. You can do the Meribel bit if you want. But for the indoor sessions you have to do at least three.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, I'm in the same position as kieranm, I can't do the session in June and if I do the weekend BASI the sessions on the 10th and 11th August directly clash with the second weekend of the BASI1 course. The course in Meribel is a possibility if I either don't do, or fail the L1, or pass and decide to go on to L2, but due to various other non-skiing issues I won't be able to commit for a few months.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you all have the wrong idea, a week in the mountains doing some training with a BASI trainer at very good prices and your still thinking about it NehNeh Razz Twisted Evil Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah sorry I'm being pretty stupid here, why is the indoor one 3 days of training and the meribel one is a week?

Also does the 299 cover lift pass? I presume not
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mag1882, Our website is being updated and hopefully will clarifiy some of your questions but in the meantime... The course is structured with both an indoor and an (optional) alpine element to take advantage of off season training time at the Snow Centre where we will introduce people to some basic teaching concepts and work on their individual personal performance on short and long radius turns prior to taking an L1 course. We are looking to take people beyond the L1 standard and it is our view that coupling an indoor training course spread over the pre season months with an intensive week in the mountains is the most time/cost efficient way to do this. To give you a good overview of the Level 1 course and train you to that standard a 3 day indoor training block is about right, you can of course take additional days and we would very much encourage some practice time on your own.

To participate in the Alpine course you would need to complete the 3 day (min.) UK element unless you already have had some Instructor training (have your L1 and are considering L2, have a license from say Snow Sport England, etc) We very much want a mixed level training group in the Alps so that everyone works together to improve each others performance as wide range of abilities is very common with L1 and L2 candidates. We run the 5 day course in the Alps with wider terrain and snow conditions to challenge you and to take your beyond the L1 standard where you are only examined on your piste performance, at L2 you are examined on variable snow conditions and bumps as well. We have some accommodation options as well and thought a week course is right, less would be too costly to get to and more too difficult with holiday time constraints.

We thought long and hard on how best to structure this course and developed it in conjunction with a BASI trainer who will deliver the Training in Meribel, if you have any questions happy to answer here or privately info at insideoutskiing dot come

As kitenski, having a 5 full day course with a BASI trainer at that price is great value, A six day Three Valleys Lift pass is around €260 and not included in the course fee, we are cheap but still gotta eat Wink

Arno, If you are interested the Inside course starts properly in July, we are running a launch session this sunday
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
I think you all have the wrong idea, a week in the mountains doing some training with a BASI trainer at very good prices and your still thinking about it NehNeh Razz Twisted Evil Shocked

£299 is indeed a good price, but surely if you're trying for your L2, it would be more cost effective just to book onto a L2 course? You spend the £299 plus lift pass, accommodation, getting there, etc and you still need to do the L2 course at the end of it, so unless you're at the standard now where you've got no hope of passing, in my mind its wasted money, rather go for the real thing and get the 2 weeks of training with hopefully a badge at the end of it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
kitenski wrote:

£299 is indeed a good price, but surely if you're trying for your L2, it would be more cost effective just to book onto a L2 course? You spend the £299 plus lift pass, accommodation, getting there, etc and you still need to do the L2 course at the end of it, so unless you're at the standard now where you've got no hope of passing, in my mind its wasted money, rather go for the real thing and get the 2 weeks of training with hopefully a badge at the end of it.

For me I am planning to do my L2 resit which is a week, and cannot really take 2 weeks to do the whole L2 again, so doing as much training before the resit in May is my plan!

My wife has her L1 and wants to do this training to get an idea as to how close or far away she is to the L2 mark.

The 2 week L2 is £565 + double the costs of lift pass + accom, and it's a big step up from L1 and I found it very stressful, so something like this course would be a good way to test yourself in a more relaxed environment IMHO

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
!

My wife has her L1 and wants to do this training to get an idea as to how close or far away she is to the L2 mark.

The 2 week L2 is £565 + double the costs of lift pass + accom, and it's a big step up from L1 and I found it very stressful, so something like this course would be a good way to test yourself in a more relaxed environment IMHO

Cheers,

Greg

Good idea to do the indoor training. If it's at Hemel there's always the possibility of getting PSG to take a look to see where you are level wise.

Cost comparison in doing a 2 week rather than a one week course isn't double, there's only one lot of transport, a 2 week pass isn't double a one week one, accommodation quite often a deal can be done for 2 weeks, etc.

In doing it the way you suggest you're probably increasing your costs of doing the L2 by 60-70%. Like you say if you fail you've got to do a one week resit, so better IMV to do the L2 course first, if you pass - great, if you fail then do the extra resit week. You're still getting the same training, but your way the training course is money you might not need to spend. Just my opinion.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman,

a) I live in Leeds
b) I've already done my two week L2 and have to do the resit in May. I could book another 2 week L2, but have chosen to do some training outside of the L2 structure and to then take the one week resit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, So for you the approach is good. For everyone else, depending on their level, and available leave/cash etc it may or may not be necessarily the best bang for the buck which is where the indoor option might be preferable or even just grabbing a few hours privately with a BASI trainer?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, indeed.it works for me, and hopefully if two others can sign up the alpine course will go ahead.

A few hours privately with a BASI trainer, is that possible?? I'd guess they were fully booked up most winters, but hadn't thought about that as an option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, there's a BASI trainer in Serre Chevalier who is available for group lessons/private lessons/clinics or whatever you want. He doesn't spend alll winter training instructors. http://www.skinewgen.com/resorts/serre-chevalier/
latest report
Thinking about this a bit more and having been thru L1 and L2 myself, I think why it appeals is that it's (from my searching) hard to find BASI training. As spyderman says you can just simply rock up to the L2 course, as I did, and see what happens.

However with hindsight I'd have loved to find some training time with a BASI trainer prior to doing my L2 as I suspect they would have identified and 'fixed' my issues with carving. This wasn't picked up when doing my L1 indoor and my L1 instructor reckoned I would be ok to do my L2.

I do think it's very well priced though, a private afternoon with a BASI L4 level instructor is going to be in the region of 220 Euros
latest report
I agree with kitenski, but can see that others might prefer spyderman's approach. I'd be much happier booking on to the L2 course if I had some informed confidence that I was at about the right level. I don't want to rock up and find out that I'm not yet ready for it. That's where the Inside Out course, or other similar things, would come in as (i) I wouldn't feel like I was in the wrong place and (ii) I'd know by the end of it whether I should now put myself forward for the L2 course. For me it's not about spending as little time or money being trained, or skiing, as possible. Almost the opposite really: skiing is one of the very few things in life where I enjoy learning it as much as I enjoy just doing it.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

A few hours privately with a BASI trainer, is that possible?? I'd guess they were fully booked up most winters, but hadn't thought about that as an option.

Well I'm sure that with a bit of asking you could find someone over the summer months to check you out in a fridge pretty easily or even collar one at the BASI AGM. Over winter they all have day jobs teaching so should be bookable for a private.
snow report
fatbob, Depends what you are after, if you just want someone to give you the once over to see if you are at or near a level a private session is applicable. We offer Pre BASI assessments ourselves but with this new course are offering a medium term ongoing training programme that is much more cost and time efficient that most GAP courses, horses for courses...

Rocking up and taking exams can work but again depends what you are after and where you are at in terms of your personal performance and how far you want to improve your skiing. There arent many intensive training opportunities for L1 and L2 aspirants and we are trying to address that and ensure people can train over time and continually improve. We had a couple of clients who "rocked up" after passing their L1 exams for their L2 and didnt make it, they came back rather dejected, but dusted themselves off did a lot of training with us and others and then subsequently passed and are very happy bunnies. One problem we are trying to address is that with the advent of indoor L1 and GAP courses in the Alps people finish one level and then think that they should/could swiftly move onto exams for the next and aren't always experienced enough. All training is good and BASI courses are good value for money but they are exams and can be stressful and people dont always come away with a result, taking courses without adequate preparation can dent the confidence if it doesn't go your way.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I have zero intention of doing any exams but these look like a good format for me to get some off season technical instruction in. If that doesn't totally undermine your intentions for these, I'll have a look at the dates and see if they work
snow conditions
skimottaret, Yup I understand and I get kitenski's personal angle as well. It's frustrating to find out that there was something fixable but because no-one told you about it with enough lead time you didn't have time to fix it. I can totally understand that there are people who have passed L1 who simply have no concept that L2 is an order of magnitude higher for a limited annual alpine skiing Brit and very sensibly your approach seems tailored to those that are at least getting the realisation. For someone who is near L2 level I guess I'd be expecting a little self perception or at least ability to review a video a mate has taken of you. That's probably where your peer coaching comes in.

Anyway probably enough from my glasshouse (very definitely a L2 fail on clean carving grounds alone (+whatever else)).
snow conditions
fatbob, it's pretty easy to have a discussion with the trainer at the end of your L1 course as to where you need to go with your skiing in order to step up to L2 standard, I'm surprised that some people don't bother to find out. You've paid for their expertise, get the most out of it.
I was in a very fortunate position to have PSG almost on tap, so I knew exactly where I was before I went for my L2, plus the added advantage of already having passed my CSIA exam in Fernie, which was the most pressured skiing experience I've ever had, the trainer asked random people on the hill if they wanted a free 30 minute lesson, I had to show an improvement in their skiing within that time and they had to go away happy. Nothing like that on an L2.

As said I'm all for engaging in indoor training to work on specific issues, what I'm struggling with is doing the training weeks abroad with no outcome when you might as well do the real thing, BASI courses are training courses after all with constant assessment.
latest report
Quote:

what I'm struggling with is doing the training weeks abroad with no outcome when you might as well do the real thing

Well there are dozens of companies who offer seasonal, GAP and multi week training courses aimed squarely at L1 and L2 aspirants. It is quite normal to do some training between each level, we are trying to introduce structured training even earlier. While a trainer should give you an end of course report that and a 10 minute chat isn't what makes the difference at your next level of exams, it is the development you do through additional training imv.

Cant quite work out why you are all for indoor training to work on specific issues but not abroad? The optional alpine week with a BASI trainer will really help with bumps, variables and high speed piste performance and build on the off season work we will be doing with the team. Personally I took my first BASI course in the Alps and it really stretched me more than an indoor L1 could have done, if leave time permits I usually recommend people to do their L1 outdoors but the L1 indoors is attractive from a cost and time perspective.
ski holidays
Arno, cool any questions let us know ..
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
fatbob, it's pretty easy to have a discussion with the trainer at the end of your L1 course as to where you need to go with your skiing in order to step up to L2 standard, I'm surprised that some people don't bother to find out. You've paid for their expertise, get the most out of it.

I did that, unfortunately the issue with longs that prevented me passing my L2 was not picked up during my L1, indeed it was not even mentioned. I suspect if I had done my L1 in the alps, or done something like this week it would have been spotted. I also suspect it would have been fixed before my L2.
latest report
kitenski, Not firm yet but looking 95% for one more and a good chance for a fourth...
ski holidays
skimottaret, thanks for sharing, would be fantastic if course was confirmed early for cheaper flights Smile
ski holidays
ummm it is 8 months away, patience young Jedi... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
ummm it is 8 months away, patience young Jedi... Very Happy

Indeed, and flights are already out, £80 Easyjet from Leeds/Bradford!

Being an adopted Yorkshire man cheap flights mean more beer money Smile
ski holidays
has anyone been on the inside course, any feedback, thoughts etc etc
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

I've not been on "The Course" I have looked at it. However I've had a Clinic session at HH & untold feedback & more from Rob & Scott of IOS and also a lesson with Ski Marmalade in Meribel.
Both outfits are what one hopes for in an Instructor IMO, you cant go wrong with Inside Out.
ski holidays
kitenski, just got two more bookings today for Meribel so we are good to go Smile
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
just got two more bookings today for Meribel so we are good to go Smile

Excellent, I am pleased for all hopefuls Smile
Scott. If I can solve the logistics I will speak to you again re: catching up & attending as discussed last Saturday.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
kitenski, just got two more bookings today for Meribel so we are good to go Smile

Great news!! thanks for sharing Smile

Is it "safe" to book flights, and could you share details of the accomodation folk you recommend?? Email, PM or on here!

Cheers,

greg
snow report
kitenski, We have four confirmed now who paid deposits and one or two who are still thinking hard about it. The Marmalade boys may have a few up their sleeves as well but my partner in crime there has his hands full this summer getting married, I would go ahead and book flights. I will put out some feelers on accommodation options and get back to everyone on here via an email ring so you can make your own bookings.

We are hoping that if this course works out this season and is well received by everyone that we will run the Performance training week in Meribel as a package with accommodation bolted on as well.

We had five on the Inside session last week and snowHead 's own Gilleski who is a very experienced BASI trainer gave the team a good look over and went through the BASI pathway with everyone.
ski holidays
skimottaret, *really* looking forwards to this, hopeful for some great training without the pressure of a pass Very Happy

WRT flights I'm assuming a 830/9am start on the 20th and a 5:30pmish finish on Friday the 24th?
snow report
yeah sounds about right but I would think 9 or 930 -4 more typical I am waiting to hear from our accommodation partner and they may have a sat to sat or sun sun option.. will advise...
latest report
kitenski
Quote:

I was one of the five on the session last week, and found it very helpful. It was definitely pitched at "aspiring-L1" as that was the standard of everyone there, but I came away feeling I'd made some important improvements and with a better understanding of what to expect on the L1 course/assessment. For me, coming from a SSE instructor's background, there were a few questions about the different approaches, but I'm pretty happy about that now. Scott started to introduce learning styles and (very subtly) teaching techniques.

It will be interesting to see how the course develops over the next few months as some of those taking part hopefully get their L1 passes and start looking beyond that.

It's also a great time of year to be doing this - I've never seen HH so quiet at the weekend, and enjoyed playing "spot the snow head" as there were a lot of others there for (I think) the Inside Out social later on.
latest report
kitenski, details on accommodation , I would recommend chalet Martin http://skihame.co.uk/ski_chalets/availability.htm
snow report
Anyone unfamiliar with Meribel. FYI
IMS. Le Raffort is accessible via Raffort red run (if its open) starting appx halfway down Gelinotte blue piste,
heads North (left) through the trees on the Roc De Fer side of the valley.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy