Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trains to Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads!

This is my first post and I am looking for a bit of advice.

I'm considering training to Zermatt in February but unfortunately the snowtrains only go to France so it would involve Eurostar to Paris, then sleeper train to Basel then train up to Zermatt via Brig.

Has anyone attempted this epic journey and if so, was it worth the effort?

Many thanks for any advice! Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MelEllis, are you sure? I know that the TGV service goes as far Geneva, although Geneva to Zurich is a fair distance, never done it by train only ever driven.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MelEllis, Welcome to snowHead , I've only ever used the Swiss train service for business use but on the few occasions I have ( including Zurich - Paris) it is brilliant.

This link may help you look at options:

http://www.sbb.ch/fr/index.htm

When DGOrf is around you will get chapter and verse on your desired routeing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MelEllis - try http://www.sbb.en/index.htm (Swiss Railways) and go from Paris to Visp (or even Zermatt). The train from Paris to Visp takes about 6 hours, changing at Geneva. I've only taken the train from Geneva to Visp - it's very scenic, runs to time and very relaxing compared with the drive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MelEllis, if you are in London you can get an early train to Paris (05.34) and go via Geneva getting to Zermatt as early as 18.24, or by going on the 08.12 and going via Lausanne you could be in Zermatt by 20.42, the alternative is as you say to get the sleeper from Paris Est to Basle getting into Basle at 04.50 and yes I've done it and no it isn't any fun although it's better in first class and a sleeper rather than a couchette, it would get you to Zermatt at 10.42 the next morning, the journey through Switzerland is very pretty with lots of mountain scenery though. Unfortunately the rail timetables change in early December and some don't update their websites until then

By the way, welcome to snowHeads
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On www.eurostar.co.uk they advertise that service that gets into Basel at 4.50 am and that is the one I was thinking of. Why is it not fun D G Orf? Is it because of having to sleep on the train or is it all the changes? Because going to France I much prefer taking the snowtrain to flying (extra day of skiing!), but what puts me off training to Switzerland is all the changes with skis in tow.

Oh how do I make www.eurostar.co.uk a link?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clever, it did it automatically!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MelEllis, welcome to snowHead

I use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:&

and a naive request of London -> zermatt gives fairly likely looking routes.

Unfortunately I don't think you can get that site to book you a ticket all the way through, so you probably have to visit individual train companies.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MelEllis - welcome - An alternative - Take a flight to Geneva (usually sub £100) Go down an escalator and you end up in the train station - Take just the Swiss train to Visp - Zermatt. Think the train is about 80 euro's return. I've done this several times - It works very easily & the view's on the way are spectacular.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MelEllis, I've done London-Zermatt twice by train, daytime travel, along the lines DGO suggests: early Eurostar, RER train from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon, then you can either connect via Geneva (which tends to have the cheaper fares) or Lausanne. These are both TGV services.

Make sure of your evening connection from Brig or Visp to Zermatt. The last service is a bus rather than a train, in the low season. There are more connecting trains in high season.

Whether you go to Switzerland by train or plane, buy the flat-rate Swiss Transfer ticket from the airport or border to Zermatt and back. You have to buy this in the UK, I think, and it's cheaper than a normal return.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MelEllis, doing the changes can be a pain especially in Paris where you either need to use the metro, which at that time of night isn't too bad or try to get a taxi and they don't have to take skis, otherwise the walk at Basle is quite long, you have to go from the French side of Basle station on foot through pastport control and then past customs (usually closed early in the morning and late at night), I didn't see any baggage trollies at Paris Est station and they don't post what platform the train is leaving from until about 15mins before departure, the night train is also fairly old (at least 35 years old I'd say) and not as quiet or smooth as more modern trains which is a shame as I like travelling by train, once you are in Switzerland the journey is easy the staff are all polite and many speak some English if you have any problems, I've even known them call ahead and have people waiting to help with baggage transfers onto connecting trains when time has been tight, by the way get Swiss Transfer Tickets through the Swiss Tourist office before you travel, these give you a return rail journey from your point of entry into Switzerland to your destination and back, to Zermatt that option will be much cheaper than a regular return ticket from the rail company.

I live in hope that they will one day replace the night train from Brussels to Switzerland which used to be a much better option, preferably with one of the new sleeper trains used on the city night line runs in Holland and Germany which are infinately superior to those used on the French route
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MelEllis & Supersport6, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite a journey by train.

Im working in Bern right now. It is 3.5hrs(min) to Zermatt from here ! Cant falt swiss trains , i use them all the time. Perfectly on schedule.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They have the 'TGV des neiges' during winter that goes direct from Paris gare de lyon all the way to visp and brig. Not too expensive if you book around now either wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will definately look into the TGV des neiges thing, otherwise flying to Geneva might well be the easiest option. Thanks guys!
latest report
Welcome

I've TGV'd from Paris to Basle but would think this would involve too many changes for Zermatt. If the TGV goes to Visp then that is perfect,

But I found Eurostar via Paris to the Bernese Oberland the best best way to travel and that is despite sleeping -twice- overnight on Basel station, the thats another story. If you can get to Visp from the UK for anywhere in the region of £150 bite their hand off. Its the best way to travel IMV. I did Meringen via Eurostar/TGV and local for about £130 a couple of years ago, started at Ashford at 0930 GMT, got into the resort about 2000 CET IIRC.
ski holidays
Quote:

It is 3.5hrs(min) to Zermatt from here [Bern]
That's the thing that got me about that journey.
I'd really like to go to Zermatt and love to travel by train overnight but the pre 5AM change in Bern followed by over 3 hrs travel before breakfast time rather put me off.
ski holidays
admin, go to the Bernese Oberland by train, changing at 5am in Basle means getting to Wengen arround 9.15 which is still in time for breakfast wink
ski holidays
D G Orf, the Bernese Oberland? Tell us more! wink
snow conditions
Can you see Mr Orf's Wengen Winter Warmer in the offing one year? snowHead
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, not a bad idea that wink
snow conditions
best option might be to fly to geneva (bmi baby, easyjet, etc sly in winter for low cost) and get train from geneva airport... you have to get train to visp, change onto another train to zermatt .. cost was about 120chfs I think and takes 3-4 hours. www.cff.ch is good to book train tickets get timetabels etc - you can also sometims get cheaper rail fares on this site under 'click and rail' which offers lower cost tickets but on specified trains.

Alternative option would be to go to Cervinia in Italy (fly to Geneva or Milan) and then you can get cable car up over into Zermatt... (i.e. stay in Cervinia)
snow report
jct, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy