Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New snowdome...

Poster: A snowHead
akirk, yes, indeed, and the slope does sometimes get quite mogulled at the end of the day, but I've never seen 'organised' moguls like the ones shown.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flowa wrote:
slikedges, undoubtably - they probably measure from back to front walls, not accounting for roped off areas and platform at the top.

That's just part of the game - it's when they measure into the changing room and cafe at the front and the open air at the back that it gets silly...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Not for me........rather be out on my bike climbing hills and getting stronger, plus thinking of the new routes I'm going to nail next season in the Alps than playing on a ski themed hamster-wheel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29, Not for me either. Rather be out on my bike climbing hills and getting knackered. Thinking of not being able to keep up with my daughter when we ski next year. I don't nail any runs. Nailed my shoulder (and head) quite spectacularly when learning to carve last year. Got a round of applause off a passing French bloke.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dobby, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dobby, so you could easily work on carving indoors which would give you a chance of keeping up with your young 'un!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica wrote:
That's interesting. Do they ever make a strip of moguls at Hemel? I've never seen one.

We can cut rut lines; but we can only go so deep!

We have had some discussions on building a set or two; but we need a business case to make it happen. If you want them (and enough people do) we'll build some.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scooby_simon, I'm fairly sure the moguls at Cas and CFe are built up on top of the base, and can be bashed flat again fairly quickly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, I know the Cas ones are pushed there by machine, I'd assume similar at CFe. There are more folk than I thought skiing the ones at Cas regularly....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jeebus, 170m long slope, thats tiny!!! Id get like 2 turns in! lol

I thought ours here was small enough of a fridge with a 400m run, especially as the chairlift is painfully slow with sightseers.

Ive got really close to not going again, but being 10 mins from my house, and great for my current learning of riding switch, I am persevering. Much harder than skiing in the PDS was this year rolling eyes

Going again Thursday snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dennisp, You need to learn to ski slalom - then you'll get some more turns in.

the chairlift is painfully slow
Then use the drag! Or is that too steep? Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the drag is only on when it gets REALLY busy, so its annoying on the in between bits. Plus, it wrecks my plums...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dennisp, yup that right angle bend half way up the drag is a nut-cracker.

Not many sightseeing pedestrians at 9 am on a Friday and you can make fresh tracks. But the chair is still slow - I used to reckon less than 1 min skiing down and +4 min back up - never really warmed up. But -2C is a great hangover cure - the big fridge has more than one use. snowHead Laughing snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
indeed it is! plan on using it again tomorrow to the same effect Laughing

Its actually about 15 seconds down an 4 mins up if you crank it. The drag lift is much faster but the inner thigh bruise and the crushed left plum almost isnt worth it.

Dome opens at 10am, so I get there at 9.30 so I have time to change and get 'first chair!'
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dennisp, my <1 min was squeezing in as many turns as poss. Not bombing it.
Used to be 9 on a Friday - not surprised they've changed it - I was often the only one there for the 1st hour. Bliss.
Enjoy - I do miss it - nothing remotely like it here in Doha. And no plans for one as far as I know. Pity.

EDIT - the web site still says opens at 9 on Fridays only. If it's right, it's worth making the effort.
snow report
scooby_simon wrote:
Pedantica wrote:
That's interesting. Do they ever make a strip of moguls at Hemel? I've never seen one.

We have had some discussions on building a set or two; but we need a business case to make it happen. If you want them (and enough people do) we'll build some.

Count me in - much more interest to me (as an old git) than a freestyle sesh..
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:
Pedantica wrote:

Count me in - much more interest to me (as an old git) than a freestyle sesh..
Ooh - I'm more than interested too. I'm another old git who would very much like to get to grips with moguls. Having had a "holiday tune-up" session with a certain Mr Rees of Inside Out Skiing at Hemel earlier this year I'm a bit of a convert to instruction in fridges. I think a mogul session at Hemel would be quite popular with snowHeads - especially if IO were involved.
ski holidays
agw wrote:
Ooh - I'm more than interested too. I'm another old git who would very much like to get to grips with moguls. Having had a "holiday tune-up" session with a certain Mr Rees of Inside Out Skiing at Hemel earlier this year I'm a bit of a convert to instruction in fridges. I think a mogul session at Hemel would be quite popular with snowHeads - especially if IO were involved.

They ran a mogul session in April - it was very good Wink
though we did have to sort of create our own moguls...

Alasdair
snow report
agw wrote:
...Having had a "holiday tune-up" session with a certain Mr Rees of Inside Out Skiing at Hemel earlier this year I'm a bit of a convert to instruction in fridges.
Made my day Very Happy
snow report
I'd be interested too!
snow report
I was in Cardiff yesterday so decided to visit the proposed site

This will be next to the International Pool in Cardiff Bay adjacent to the ice rink

I spoke to the site foreman who advised the below:

Phase 1 is the development of a housing scheme opposite the ice rink

Phase 2 will be the demolition of the ice rink and the siting of a new ice rink and snowdome

Funding of Phase 2 will depend on whether Phase 1 sells well and enough profit is generated to put towards
the development costs of Phase 2

Timescales
Phase 1, the site has been cleared and levelled out, 2014 anticipated completion date
Phase 2, anticipated start date in 2015 (provided that enough profit generated from Phase 1)
snow report
sparklies wrote:
I'd be interested too!

+1 Definitely
Gagging for some moguls at HH
latest report
valleyboy, cheers. I am still doubtful given the time is takes to sell properties in the Bay.
snow conditions
There've been some small-scale moguls at HH in the past. I certainly remember an interesting session with Philbo doing parallel slalom down them, IIRC skimottaret came a bit of a cropper and suffered a bit of an injury.
latest report
I'd be interested in moguls - normally I tend to avoid them (and avoid pistes) but indoors skiing I am searching for something to do to keep 170 metres interesting. I normally alternate trying to do lots of extremely small, fast turns down the edge and getting enough speed on pure carved turns to really crank over for the last couple. The trouble with the latter is you can't do it if there are many other people littering the slope.
Perhaps I should go for the freestyle session and get more confident with jumps, but the trouble is I'm not interested in rails or trick jumps - more something a bit like I might do off cornices in the mountains.
latest report
Quote:

more something a bit like I might do off cornices in the mountains.

that called a controlled fall, or falling with style Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
livetoski, true, but the main part of jumping off a ramp in a snowdome is coming down again with style. Unless you want to do spins etc, which I don't really (not starting at almost 65 with a slightly dodgy knee and back). To make up for that I tend to do quite a big run-up, though this can risk landing beyond the downslope.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Amneville is a more interesting model...

Anyone know if you need to have passed a Eurotest to work as an instructor there? Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
rjs wrote:
Amneville is a more interesting model...

Anyone know if you need to have passed a Eurotest to work as an instructor there? Skullie

I guess that would depend on whether it is a Centre de Formation, you might be able to work as a Stagiaire with TT.

It does have an ESF branch, at least one guy from there is listed on the results from the last Challenge des Moniteurs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy