Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much are my boots worth?

Poster: A snowHead
Picked these lange boots up in a charity shop, not planning to sell them but couldn't find much info on them but they looked pretty smart and fit me.

http://www.pictureshoster.com/files/j1msby2whcrngpftfjp.jpg

Pretty good condition...fair few scratches but nothing broken.

Guesstimate valuation?

Cheers guys. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bout as much as the ant trap.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look like they're about 15 yrs old from that design. At least the buckles look similar to my old X-Zero-8/Ground-Zero
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are worth ....what you paid for them.
Welcome to SH snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 21-05-13 11:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How much are old boots worth? For me personally... nothing. Old boot (and not just skiing), even if it has just week of use behind, is worth nothing to me. Things get packed and molded by user's feet and there's no way it will ever fit anyone else. So even if I would get them for 3% of original price, I would still skip such a "deal". Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cylus99, are you quite sure they fit you?? I am strongly suspicious that they don't really...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Property is theft. Gift the boots back to the charity shop with the proviso that you have first shout when you need them but that they can also lend them out to the poor and needy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you take the picture in the charity shop? it looks a right dump.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz, Not quite right. Well, correct in that the liners and inners of boots go manky and mouldy and not somewhere I would want to penetrate with my feet. But... 60 quid would see a whole now inner liner with virgin foot sole just waiting to be heated up and moulded to the OPs foot.

Presumably he paid a fiver for the boots or so. Plus brand new liners and 'job's a carrot' as they are meant to say on the estates.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
£65 when he can get a decent new pair for £80 is no bargain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beequin, from where?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Resale value is probably as close to zero as you can possily get, but if they REALLY fit you and are comfortable then they are worth something to you. Not woth spending money on though, and probably not worth the hassle or expense if you have to pay to transport them to the alps.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ, Have to be really lucky that they will fit, but my daughter's boyfriend picked up a pair of Lange boots from Absolute Snow in December at that price. There are several boots between £50 and £150 at Winter Shack, including some Rossignol WC Race boots. But must be as good as picking up a pair from Oxfam.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
emwmarine wrote:
primoz, Not quite right. Well, correct in that the liners and inners of boots go manky and mouldy and not somewhere I would want to penetrate with my feet. But... 60 quid would see a whole now inner liner with virgin foot sole just waiting to be heated up and moulded to the OPs foot.

The plastic shells fatigue too. Sticking a new liner into an old shell isn't a great plan - not when the shell is 10+ years old anyway. Basically these boots are worthless, but probably still usable if you're not fussy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The plastic shells fatigue too

Bloke I work with allegedly had an old boot 'shatter' due to plastic fatigue.
snow conditions
I have now had two people skiing with me suffering from plastic fatigue in boots. A friend had the buckles rip out, in Les Contamines; we had to strap them up with some powder traces which were in the bottom of my backpack (they also came in useful when I had to lash up some snowchains which were not the right size for the wheels).

My sister's boots started shedding bits of the base - we noticed little bits of purple plastic all over the snow outside a restaurant. The local ski shop had some bases to fit but they shredded too - the guy in the shop said they'd been in a drawer for many years and were as old as the boots.
ski holidays
pam w, I've seen three pairs go...

One pair wasn't that old...the others were...
snow report
under a new name, I'd been nagging my sister about the boots - she then hired for the last few days of her holidays, took the first pair off the shelf in Intersport and found them a vast improvement. She now has her own, properly fitted, boots and having been on the verge of giving up skiing has decided to carry on to get her moneysworth out of the new boots.

It's astonishing that people are quite happy to pick up ski boots in charity shops rather than the perfectly good ski jackets and trousers often to be found there.

I passed a "vintage junk" shop in Llangollen earlier this week which had a pair of terrible old skis outside (just terrible, not terribly old and interesting) for £70. Laughing
snow conditions
The plastic fatigue is worth bearing in mind. You all know that I changed my boots this year. This was against advice that they were probably still good for several more years - they were about 5 years old and had done around 10 weeks skiing. This may have been the case, but plastic fatigue had already started - as I started to try on the different flex boots, those that were higher than my old boots still seemed MUCH softer - I could easily flex the living daylights out of them and they were no improvement over what I had Puzzled The guy in the shop explained that the plastic was probably getting old and was starting to lose its flexibility - this was why the old boots were 'creaking' as I flexed them. Even thought the old boots were only a flex of about 60 or so in order for me to get an appreciable difference we had to take the boots right up near the top end of the range (90)before I could get the resistance that it seemed I needed. The difference in the feel and working of the two plastics is also appreciable over those 5 years and the new boots are an entirely different feel. I don't think the old ones would have exploded, but I remain convinced that the plastic was on its way out.
snow conditions
Megamum, I know how your boots feel. I start creaking when I start flexing at my age as well.
ski holidays
Megamum, umm, as I understand it, most noot plastics getsofter with use rather than harder.

He was just trying to sell you a new pair.
snow conditions
Quote:

most noot plastics getsofter with use rather than harder.

yes, my sister's were like slippers - rear entry, white, with a fetching purple lining.
snow report
Ive had my boots almost 20 years now and they seem absolutely fine, only get a week or so a year but I ski very hard so they good a good workout. Are any brands in particular known for this plastic fatigue? Im on Salomon Equipes
latest report
medlington, I'd suggest you are an accident waiting to happen - how many days is your average ski holiday and what's your bet that they will terminally degrade neatly before that holiday or on the last run on the last day within walking distance (in socks) of home?
ski holidays
medlington, not specifically. All plastics are susceptible to degradation, mainly from UV light. Some plastics are worse than others (e.g. Pebax), but there's no real way of knowing without doing some destructive tests on them.

I'm not sure I'd ski on boots more than 10 years old. I have done without thinking, but when I realised they were that old, I replaced them.
ski holidays
medlington, If you keep them in the dark, away from temperature extremes and they look OK, then they are probably fine in my very humble opinion. The worst that is likely to happen is that one day they fall apart and you have to walk home.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
......The worst that is likely to happen is that one day they fall apart and you have to walk home.

Or, like my neighbour with his 15yr old boots who swore they were fine, you could be cranked fully over at 40+mph & have both heels completely sheer off the boots & get 'ejected' across the piste. He was extremely lucky to be uninjured & it was a very long/cold/wet walk home in his socks.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 30-05-13 18:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

it was a very long/col/wet walk home in his socks.

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be fair if you're a black belt in DTE* you can possibly make a passible attempt at reattaching yourself to your skis and fashion a sole for the long limp home.

* Duct Tape Engineering
latest report
Duct tape! Finally I know why so many people carry a back pack.

I mean, just how big does your hip flask need to be before you wear a back pack?
snow report
This is just something Id never even contemplated, I just hope Ive not tempted fate now. Like I said they get about 1 or 2 weeks a year use but then they are back in the boot bag at the back of the wardrobe so dont get exposed to much light other than on the holls. Might give them a good examination before I go next time.

I am abit of a ninja with the old DT though Very Happy guess if it happens and I dont brake my leg then Id just have to resort to boarding for the rest of the week. Another good reason for me to take both on holiday.
ski holidays

foxtrotzulu wrote:
Duct tape! Finally I know why so many people carry a back pack.....

Best place to keep duct tape is around the top of your poles.
snow conditions
Tut tut , best practice is different colours for each pole, so you can clearly identify your left and right pole and better match your repairs.
snow report

fatbob wrote:
Tut tut , best practice is different colours for each pole, so you can clearly identify your left and right pole......

No need when you've already got handed straps Cool NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy