Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights to the Alps from Cambridge

Poster: A snowHead
Darwin Airlines to fly from Cambridge to Geneva and Milan (along with others). Could be interesting. Very easy from here and I would think parking would be easy and cheap. Prices shown aren't great unless they include luggage, etc.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/business/business-news/airport-deal-to-help-bring-peterborough-closer-to-paris-and-milan-1-5108706
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's the business case for Cambridge witj Stanstead just down the road?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would imagine the costs for the airline are very much cheaper. It's very small and quite close to the city, on the outskirts really. I think I've flown from there once, to Jersey at least 25 years ago. Apparently it will be the only airport in East Anglia flying to Paris, probably targeting business travellers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would you fly with Darwin Airlines?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unfortunate name isn't it.

Flying 50 seater turbo props. Wonder if they'll have the same restrictions carrying skis as others (is it Flybe?)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They used to be called Baboo (even dafter name) and flew London City to Geneva. Decent times and prices for long weekends skiing but got into some sort of financial trouble. Service was pretty good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Handy... Paris and Geneva, and Cambridge Airport is only half an hour away from home Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL, Aah, the people who started a service from Oxford but the flight times weren't very useful IIRC
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:

Flying 50 seater turbo props. Wonder if they'll have the same restrictions carrying skis as others (is it Flybe?)

Air Canada Jazz flies similar sized bombardiers and I've not had problems taking skis on them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL, they were named after the founder's dog.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, I have, as did many others on the internal flight to Kelowna. We were told its very common. They prioritise people's parcels from weekend city shopping and give vouchers for ski hire till they can get all the skis out the next day
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Air Canada Jazz flies similar sized bombardiers and I've not had problems taking skis on them.

They're not Bombardiers, they're Saab 2000s (as it says in the article) (big brother to the Saab 340).
I'd be surprised if they take any skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could be good and I don't care about skis, mine live in Switzerland, although I fully appreciate it is a major annoyance when the airlines treat them like some sort of optional extra that you don't really need.

Only trouble is my wife is not a good flyer. We flew on a turbo-prop 20 seater internally in the US once and the holiday was ruined for her because she spent the whole week worrying about the flight back. it didn't help of course that the cabin was only divided from the cockpit by a curtain, that looked like one of my grandmother's old ones, and kept swinging back every time we banked. Or that the noise levels were about on a par with an RAF Hercules (and yes, I have). Let's hope things have improved.

edit: just read that the SAAB 2000 went out of production in 1999! So all the planes are at least 14 years old! Oh well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyrew wrote:
stuarth wrote:
Claude B wrote:

They're not Bombardiers, they're Saab 2000s (as it says in the article) (big brother to the Saab 340).
I'd be surprised if they take any skis.

...hence the "similar sized" bit.
Why would you be surprised? See the picture of a Saab 2000, see the bit behind where the passengers go, thats where luggage goes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sanman, ...yes, not the most modern of planes but look at the very low incident rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_2000

note only accident on database was relating to poor ground marking of an obstruction

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_details.cgi?date=07102002&reg=HB-IZY&airline=Swiss+International+Air+Lines

and look at comments

http://youtube.com/v/7dMU0wQupUQ
snow report
sanman, Xanax will be your wife's best friend... See your GP
ski holidays
Best flight I ever had was in a 9 seater Cessna from Honolulu to Maui. The pilot left the curtain open so he could chat with us. We can't have been more than a few hundred feet up for the entire journey. I could have taken a larger, quicker flight but that was fun, made it part of the holiday.
snow report
sanman wrote:

edit: just read that the SAAB 2000 went out of production in 1999! So all the planes are at least 14 years old! Oh well.

have you seen the age of most of the aircraft in service, especially 737. Some of the original 1987 aircraft are still in use, albeit with a few refits. When aircraft are effectively rebuilt after a set number of hours, the date of 'manufacture' is largely irrelevant.
snow report
I love to fly in planes with windmills instead of engines!
I can use my bus pass on the "Park & Ride" from Newmarket Rd into Marshals.
Its got to be better than the Luton Sausage Machine.
ski holidays
Quote:
it didn't help of course that the cabin was only divided from the cockpit by a curtain, that looked like one of my grandmother's old ones, and kept swinging back every time we banked.
That presumably relates to an irrational fear of a fellow passenger storming the flight deck to hijack the flight Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

an irrational fear of a fellow passenger storming the flight deck

I think in my wife's case it is more a case of not wanting to be reminded that the plane is actually flown by a real person pulling on controls and flicking switches etc. She prefers to be as far removed from the reality of the process as possible Little Angel

This was pre-9/11 so I have no idea what happens on those small planes now.

To be fair, over the last 10 years or so, she has improved a lot. But then we haven't flown on anything this small for a long while.

Good points by feef and valais2. We may well give it a go as Cambridge airport is only an hour from us.
snow report
Turboprops are ideal for flying to airports with short landing strips surrounded by mountains. I hardly dare mention it on ski forums but as soon as I mention that I am setting up a ski-travel club aimed at leasing or chartering an aircraft there is some moderator somewhere who removes my messages. This is a private posting - but there you go! We are looking at turboprops for our planned ski flights and yes, I have also spoken to Darwin airline about using pne of their Saab 2000s. On my website ClubAeroDOTnl you can read all sorts of stuff about the cost of chartering an aircraft for ski flights - provided some zealous moderator doesn't delete this message before you read it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy