Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Magic bullets

Poster: A snowHead
Over the past couple of seasons I've found a couple of things that really seem to work for me in improving my form on snow when I think about them. I really need a third to complete the set and have a Harb like system I can licence to the world while I collect the royalties and swan up Alaskan peaks in a private A star.

Any suggestions - obviously "take a lesson" won't bring in the big bucks.

Seriously though I'm going skiing tomorrow, I don't have anything specific I want to focus on so just stuff to think about would be fun. Preferably mental cues in the form of Allen + Mike rather than drills.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 18-05-13 10:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, I find vodka helps.

(33% of your royalties please.................... snowHead )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, NEVER forget how lucky you are to be skiing in the mountains.

Well, it works for me

(33% of your royalties please........ snowHead )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what are the first two? perhaps putting those out will help winkle out a third
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ALQ wrote:
fatbob, NEVER forget how lucky you are to be skiing in the mountains.

Well, it works for me

Works for me too! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does hemel count as mountains?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret,

Pointing my inner knee on larger radius.

Crossing under on shorter radius.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, So you just need something for the middle radius then? Would sir like to try this belt on for size? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Pointing my inner knee on larger radius.

where do you point it?

How about, "long leg , short leg"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think that might be what I achieve by pointing the inside knee , makes me a bit more dynamic and develops a higher outside edge angle I think.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or bike pedalling, worked well for me off piste this year, esp in cack snow

ie weight on outer ski (right foot), less/no weight on inner ski, then imagine 'pedalling' so weight transfers to left foot and as 'pedal' lifts, weight comes off right foot.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shout out "POWER!" through each turn!

Less embarrassing in a group! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
or bike pedalling, worked well for me off piste this year, esp in cack snow

ie weight on outer ski (right foot), less/no weight on inner ski, then imagine 'pedalling' so weight transfers to left foot and as 'pedal' lifts, weight comes off right foot.....

You see that as an off-piste technique? I've always thought of that as piste orientated, particularly for fall line short carved turns where you want to accelerate. Think short arc, long radius in BASI speak. Mind you, that may be exactly how you're skiing in crud snow in order to maintain speed to power through it if it's not too deep (as opposed to trying to stay on top of it). It's good for slush too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate, off piste in crud/slush, yes, just gentle use of weight on the outer ski, stopped me trying to rotate my feet and force the turns......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ever try "point the inside knee" on shorter radius turns?

Not saying it'll work. But it's in the same theme as your other two and it MIGHT work.

I can't say what I "think of" when I do short radius. But I have a vague thought of "riding the skis round the apex of the turn", which stops me from pushing the ski tail to the outside ("rushing the turn") when it's rounding its way down the fall line .
ski holidays
fatbob, do you mean pointing the knee to the inside of the turn like this ? still confused a bit

ski holidays
skimottaret, I'm not fatbob. But I also received similar advice and found it helpful.

What I was told, point the inner knee to where the ski WILL travel.

So, during the turn, it's to the inside of the turn. But as I finish the turn, it'll need to point more neutral, till it got switched over to the other knee as the inside knee.

For me, it achieves both shortening my inside leg and putting the ski on higher edge at the apex of the turn. While the turn finishes, it gradually lengthen that leg and reduce the ski's edge angle until it becomes the outside leg.

All the while, the outside leg tend to matches the same knee angle so the ski edge is matched. And geometry dictates that leg will be the long one.
snow report
skimottaret, I can't work out that photo. For all the world, it looks like your skis have crossed!

Edit: I guess the real track of your inside ski is obscured by your outside leg.
ski holidays
laundryman, Ah I see what you mean, I think what appears to be my inner track is an old track from someone else... not the best photo..

fatbob, Not sure that pointing the inner knee really does much in terms of long leg short leg but defo helps with ensuring both skis are engaged and stops the inside leg from going flat and smearing... As per the photo you can "point" your inner knee without having a strong long outside leg...

I tend to find when asking people to "point" the knee they end up moving the outside knee in and creating a weak A frame.. What works better for me is to try to "drive the knees onto the tips of the skis"..
snow report
Yep I guess A framing is a possible consequence. Generally I'd be trying to point it more or less to where the turn would end if it completely finished. What it achieves for me is as you say a more active inner ski and actually more flex in that leg.

Didn't discover any magic bullets yesterday. Discovered one distinctly non-magic bullet - don't cross your tails at the bottom of a turn when telemarking on twin tips. It's actually possible to pin yourself to the slope when your upper ski is below the lower one and won't release rolling eyes

PS getting the hang of your old SL skis now though it's too tempting to chuck em sideways for a bite stivot style.
snow report
I sometimes think about "pointing" or at least initiating the turn with the inside knee; and that's in an attempt to get rid of an A frame.
snow report
Mosha Marc, me too, but it's annoyingly less effective on one side.
fatbob, sorry to have missed seeing the result of the non-magic bullet!
latest report
Quote:

Crossing under on shorter radius.

I've had really mixed opinions from the instructors I've used on when/if to use a 'cross-under' (on both long and short turns) - so would be interested to know the reasoning on this one.
snow conditions
There is no reasoning - it's just my personal mental trigger about how to make transitions that need to happen fast, happen fast. I'll leave it for the pros to consider whether it's good or bad advice to the hypothetical punter on the Clapham Omnibus (not a reference to Pedantica btw).

Otherwise as I discovered while playing yesterday I'm just as likely to stivot (and everyone can also take with a pinch of salt whether I'm using that term correctly - I'd call it skidivot or maybe drop the V)
snow report
abj, I feel that I can do cross-under turns faster than cross-over but can sustain pressure above the fall-line better in a long radius turn with cross-over. My suggestion would be to go with what feels right at the time.

I also think that I A frame less when crossing-under so can get closer to a slalom gate.
snow conditions
xx

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 2-02-16 22:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
WTF is cross through?
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I sometimes think about "pointing" or at least initiating the turn with the inside knee; and that's in an attempt to get rid of an A frame.

+1. Good ol' Wassa wink

slikedges wrote:
Generally:
Crossover for going slow.
Crossthrough for going fast.
Crossunder for going short and fast.
Toofy Grin

+1

fatbob wrote:
WTF is cross through?

To me it's moving ones hips laterally across the skis with no rise (cross over) but no leg retraction either (cross under).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
I tend to find when asking people to "point" the knee they end up moving the outside knee in and creating a weak A frame.. What works better for me is to try to "drive the knees onto the tips of the skis"..

That's why I found pointing the INNER knee helpful.

Though I admit it could be very personal. I think it'll likely work better to correct inactive inside skis (people coming from the 'old style' of almost no weight on the inside ski). Probably not so effective for newer learner who had already too much weight on the inside ski.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Though I admit it could be very personal. I think it'll likely work better to correct inactive inside skis (people coming from the 'old style' of almost no weight on the inside ski). Probably not so effective for newer learner who had already too much weight on the inside ski.

Ah ha - a damascene moment for me here. I've never really thought about the differences between the 2 sets of "developers" and always wondered why there was so much bollux spouted and drills targetting getting weight on the outside ski as I just thought it was default. Because on the skis I originally learnt on it was. Thanks.

Solution put the newbies on some Old school straight skis as a drill wink
snow conditions
spyderjon, So it's a Wazzer Term TM? I thought cross-under is moving the skis under you, cross-over is moving over the skis, whether there is material retraction or extansion is another dynamic.

I hope any physicists on top of relativity can create a decent thread out of this notwithstanding the fact that we've lost our most recent prominent "I'm a physicist dontyouknoweo"
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob wrote:
WTF is cross through?

To me it's moving ones hips laterally across the skis with no rise (cross over) but no leg retraction either (cross under).

Shirley you have to retract a bit if there is to be no rise at all.

Sounds a rather lazy, low performance way of skiing to me.
ski holidays
Quote:

WTF is cross through?

We know a man who has the answers:

http://www.yourskicoach.com/glossary/SkiGlossary/Cross_Over_Under_Through.html
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
spyderjon, So it's a Wazzer Term TM? I thought cross-under is moving the skis under you, cross-over is moving over the skis, whether there is material retraction or extansion is another dynamic.

I hope any physicists on top of relativity can create a decent thread out of this notwithstanding the fact that we've lost our most recent prominent "I'm a physicist dontyouknoweo"

fatbob, no, the inside knee move is the Wazza bit. I think of 'point my inside knee where I want to go'.

fatbob/rjs, see musher's link in his post re cross through.
latest report
rjs wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob wrote:
WTF is cross through?

Shirley you have to retract a bit if there is to be no rise at all.

Sounds a rather lazy, low performance way of skiing to me.

Sounds it, I admit. However it is done at high speed so that vertical rise is eliminated. I'm still practising wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 20-05-13 19:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
slikedges, Congratulations with that post you've gone from magic bullet to an exposition of projectile science.

http://youtube.com/v/THNPmhBl-8I
snow conditions
fatbob, Laughing

Fair enough - post edited - better?
ski holidays
slikedges, better but I note even the mention of geeky instructor acronyms has killed BZK stone dead for over 24 hours. I call it homeopathy of words, the presence of ILE attaches to even your sprucely edited post.
snow conditions
xx

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-04-16 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
To restart the discussion a bit, if I look at the definitions on the page on Fastman's website I would consider the middle sequence to be an example of cross-under.

His description of cross-through includes the need to flex the legs to prevent the COM from rising.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy