Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See - Ski School Recommendations...?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm taking my family to Zell am See in the spring half-term of 2014. My wife and (by then) 5yr old daughter will need skiing lessons. They've both covered the basics in lessons at Chill Factor e's indoor slope, Manchester, and are well past the absolute beginner level, but neither of them have been on a mountain before.

Having never been to Zell am See, I'm looking for recommendations for ski schools. I think they'd both probably benefit from each going in to a group lesson, rather than having private tuition together. The cost of having an instructor each is too high, and my daughter is pretty sociable, so would probably enjoy being with other children.

Does anyone have any good/bad experiences of ski schools they can share? Are there any schools we should avoid, or any that stand out as being particularly good? I know that quality can vary between instructors within a school, but at the moment we don't have anything to rely on other than pot luck.

I'd also be interested in any recommendations for a day's private tuition with a snowboard instructor for me (yes, I'm afraid I'm one of THOSE), who can show me around the mountain. I'm not going to ever give Shaun White a run for his money, but I'm reasonably competent and it would be helpful to be shown the best areas where I could take my wife and daughter without unwittingly heading down an icy black, or getting marooned on a near-flat blue - not ideal for someone with no poles!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,

John.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-09-13 9:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both of our young uns have spent time in Ski Schule Bruck and did well. Downside is they are mostly non-english groups (though the instructors all speak english). Our 2 were fine with that but some children would obviously prefer to be with a group that a mostly english speaking I would guess).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that ansta1. I'm hoping that the fact it's half-term will boost the numbers of English kids in groups, as obviously my daughter will be on her own in the group. I'll take a look at the Ski Schule Bruck. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1, where did you hire your gear from? I've noticed that some schools offer hire as part of the package...?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We usually stay down the road from Zell in a place callered sportcamp woflergut, there is a small ski-hire shop in the village which is slightly cheaper than the big stores in Zell itself. (they don't take credit cards though). That being said we need very little as we all have our own boots and some have some ski's.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had lessons in Zell and loved them although this was about 20 years ago now. I was the only English person in my group but it seemed that the more advanced the group the less english in it. The instructors were absolutely brilliant but beware they love to get you drunk even if your a kid although I doubt theyl be taking your 5 year old to the umbrella bar.

I dont remember Zell ski area being very big and Im sure youl get round it all yourself within a day or so, I also remember the blacks being very easy, probably more like reds and the only flat bit I can remember was the track running down the side of the resort that you ski back on.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks medlington, that's good to know. I think we may head over to Kaprun towards the end of the week for a change, but to be honest, there may be enough in the Zell area to keep my wife and daughter entertained.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had some guiding (rather than lessons) a few years back from these guys: www.outdo.at

Excellent experience and got the impression they all loved what they were doing rather than it just being another day, another client.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi getnorthern,

Firstly, welcome to Snowheads!

When is the spring half term? Bear in mind that snow conditions can vary at the end of the season.

Where are you staying? If you are staying in Kaprun the local mountain the Maiskogel, is low altitude and not snow sure. The nearby (20 minutes by bus) Kitzsteinhorn is safe snow-wise but the weather can be harsh as it is about 3000m. If staying in Zell the Schmittenhohe is reasonably snow safe (at least higher up the mountain).

The Zell area has several good ski schools, all of them are pretty good (though I have no idea what it's like for young kids). You can see them on : http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/ski-schools

In Zell the runs down to the base and town are the most difficult, so I would not take the family on those routes - get the lift down. As said earlier the black runs are not the most difficult but neither are they 'very easy' - at least not for me!!

Hope you have a great holiday.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kerb, thanks - I'll take a look.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks zellmaniac. Half term is Monday 17th – Friday 21st February, so hopefully not too late in the season. We're staying at the CLC Alpine Resort, between Saalfelden and Zell am See. I don't know the area at all (all my past seasons have been spent in Alpbach), but my inlaws have stayed at the resort and recommend it. Apparently the resort run a regular shuttle bus to the gondola at Zell.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
getnorthern,

So I guess from there you will also have Saalbach Hinterglemm close by. Well worth a visit or two, some great skiing there.

The dates you have should be good snow-wise but expect the resorts to be busy!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zellmaniac, The only areas of Germany and Austria that have school holidays that particular week are Sachsen and Thüringen in Germany and Oberösterreich and the Stiermark in Austria, so I don't think it will be anywhere near as busy as the Fasching week (week beginning 1st March which is the actual Fasching/Carnival week).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue,

Thanks Sue! I'll make sure I avoid that week next year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
getnorthern, having looked at the position of the CLC Resort (I thought I recognised the name!), why not go to Saalbach as you are just as close. The system starts at Viehofen which is closer than the Areitbahn. In fact where you are is ideal for using a hire car to sample all the resorts in that area - Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang, Europa ski Region (Zell am See, Kaprun, Maiskogl) and the Hochkönig (Maria Alm is your nearest entry point).

The centre itself is set up for loads of cross country skiing as well as other alternatives to downhill skiing. I drive past it many times during the season and have often seen cross-country skiers coming from/going back to the Resort buildings. Quite a posh set up I think! Nice for you, it should be an excellent holiday for you and the family.
ski holidays
I would definitely ski in Saalbach instead of Zell if you're staying between Saalfelden and Zell. That said if you're getting a shuttle bus to Zell, that would clearly make sense but if I had to choose between the two, Saalbach would be my choice.
ski holidays
boabski, Shuttle Bus is not free according to the web site - 5 Euro return for adults and 2.5€ for children is showing at the moment. For that money I'd get the Postbus down to Maisfelden and then up to the lifts at Viehofen! Or hire a car and ski in/ ski out (out the car parks) Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
getnorthern,

Nice though it is, the CLC Resort is in the middle of nowhere - albeit between Saalfelden and Zell am See - and you will definitely need a hire car if you don't want to be tied to the hotel shuttle.

Unless you are committed to the shuttle I would not choose Zell am See. Instead I'd recommend driving to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm Ski Circus, (it's no further than Zell) entering the ski area at the Schonleiten lift in Jausern. (Although you can ski down to Viehofen, there are no lifts there; you need to drive on another 5 minutes to Jausern). The ski school at the Schonleiten lift is Heugenhauser's - several good instructors there such as Louise and Walter. For a greater choice of classes, drive another 10 minutes to Saalbach itself and go to Furstauer or Snowacademy for group/children's lessons or Zink for private lessons (incl. snowboarding).

If you have a hire car, you can also take a trip to Leogang - drive to Saalfelden and turn left at the roundabout. Great skiing for your wife and daughter at the top of the Leogang Gondola and good food at the two restaurants at the top. Maybe do that trip at the end of the week if they are confident on blues. Ski down to the mid-station only - do not attempt the bottom half! Leogang is included in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm lift pass.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Samerberg Sue, boabski, quinton - thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm getting the impression that Saalbach might be the better option, but what does it offer that Zell doesn't?
ski holidays
getnorthern, it offers you are far greater range of runs and a more varied terrain. Coupled with the lack of bottle necks (Areitbahn, Schmittenhöhebahn and TrassExpress all tend to be problematic) both in the mornings and coming down if you are not able to ski reds (TrassExpress and Schmittenhöhe base stations are all served by black runs that can be quite icey). Just compare the amount of blues and reds coming down to the valley in the Saalbach area compared with that in the Zell Schmittenhöhe area.

If you are dependent on the shuttle service by the way you will of course have to compromise where you start and finish from I presume as they will do the pick ups according to the majority I expect. I was in a hotel this year that did this and they only drove to one of several possible areas in the region. Luckily I had my car with me, so I was not bothered, but I know some guests who wanted to go to other areas but could not get the route changed even though they had enough takers!

Just compare the maps to see what we mean:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zell-am-See/pistemap_full

http://www.saalbach.com/fileadmin/user_storage/saalbach_com/Downloads/Winterpanorama_2013_14.pdf
snow report
getnorthern,

The others are right, S/H is by far the better and much bigger ski area. The towns are smaller, Saalbach is Ok but I found it slightly seedy at night and Hinterglemm just very quiet. The towns themselves are also quite a long way up the valley so you would definitely want to enter the S/H Circus at Viehofen. If you wanted to go somewhere at night then Zell is closer and better from an apres ski with children or dining point of view.

Nothing wrong with Zell though, it really is chocolate box pretty and has a very good lift system that really allows you to access all parts of the mountain. Where it really wins is for the town itself and the atmosphere which your not going to get out at the CLC resort. CLC looks very nice but I wondered if you realised about its location? If you do and you're happy with that then no worries but, as the others say, it really is in the middle of nowhere?

As for your instructor, I would PM the snowHead Tatman's Tours, he really is the oracle as far as S/H is concerned. If you do go to Zell there are no bad ones but as a skier I'm not absolutely sure?
snow report
getnorthern,

As the others have said, Saalbach has by far the greater range of runs and the blues on the Kohlmais side are easy all the way back to the village. While your family are off having lessons, you have 250km of great pistes to play on. On the practical side, the free car parks in Saalbach are all right next to the lifts and are on your way into the village - in Zell, the Schmittenhohe lift is through the town and then up a long, windy road and the Areitbahn is the other side of Zell to where you are staying, so in terms of travel time, Saalbach is definitely no further than Zell.

In your shoes, I would hire a car and drive to Saalbach each day, and put the family in ski school as above (Heugenhauser if you choose to only drive as far as Jausern; Furstauer or Snowacademy if you drive to Saalbach village. All 3 schools have combined lessons/ski rental deals). For your own snowboard lesson, go to Zink (located in the SkiPro shops) and ask for Florian.

If you are self-catering at CLC, then you definitely need a car in order to buy groceries as there is nothing anywhere near the complex and the local Postbus only runs about every 2 hours. You can stock up in Saalbach every afternoon if necessary.

For a change of scenery, drive to Zell am See for a walk around the old town and the lake. To ski somewhere else, drive round to Leogang as it is included on your Saalbach lift pass - but obviously not such a practical suggestion if you are renting gear in Saalbach and leaving it overnight at the rental shop
ski holidays
For a small premium you can get a ski pass that covers both Zell and S/H. That way you can experience both areas and chose where to board!
ski holidays
Thanks for the info robboj. Some really helpful stuff here.
latest report
I respectfully concur with my learned friend, quinton,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy