Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best "Free Lift"

Poster: A snowHead
Where are the best free lifts in Europe? I ask this because my youngest may or may not take to the slopes this year - she found it too cold last year. We are hoping that as she is that much older she may be able to keep warmer this time round. It would be good if we could try some gentle skiing without having for fork out for a complete lift pass, however I was wondering whether 'free' lifts exist and what the associated pistes are like?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are "free" nursey/access lifts in both Tignes and Val D'isere, from memory there are a couple of ways back from the Val one and a large wide piste from the one in Tignes. Both are also chairs rather than drags which is a bonus for children.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lisach, many swiss resorts do options for free lift passes for children when booking as a family.

I note that you posted on Saas Fee elsewhere, so for them the rates are here and the second child goes for nothing.

http://www.saas-fee.ch/en/price_ski_wi.cfm

If your youngest finds it cold, have you considered going March/April as then the weather is generally much kinder.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val d'Isere has four free lifts.

The main nursery slopes have three lifts. One button lift, slow, gentle and ideal for beginners. There are two chair lifts. "Village" gives access to a wide beginners area, its top is just above the button lift top. "Rogeney" goes a little higher up the mountain and is a great lift for people who can ski a little, it is not for complete beginners. All three lifts are close to the centre of Val and in easy reach of a host of restuarants etc. All three lifts and the slopes they access are frequently busy with ski school classes.

At La Dialle there is one button lift serving one gentle piste. I have never seen this lift and its piste looking busy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lisach, the drag lifts alongside the beginners pistes in La Rosiere are free. They are all south facing so they get maximum sun as Ray Zorro, points out going in March or April will ensure longer, sunnier and warmer days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wengen will let under 6's use all the lifts for free if with parents, if not the lift passes are very cheap, kids actually get discounted passes until they're 20 Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't know if this is still true but there were 3 or 4 free lifts in the centre of Flaine which give access to some easy slopes, and there was a short drag beside the slalom course which accessed slopes with slightly more challenge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lisach, Les Arcs is similar - all under 6 lift passes are free when bought with adult tickets.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's a good one for you if she is over six.

Take the St Jacques chair in Les Arcs 2000 (this is free) and you can then follow pistes all the way down to Pre-st-Esprit which is a pretty long run. At the bottom, there's a couple of restuarants (one of them with and open fire) to warm up in and a free bus back up to Arc 2000.

Also, part way down the run at Arc 1950 there is a pedestrian lift back up to Arc 2000 this might be free as well (can't remember).

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's a good one for you if she is over six.

Take the St Jacques chair in Les Arcs 2000 (this is free) and you can then follow pistes all the way down to Pre-st-Esprit which is a pretty long run. At the bottom, there's a couple of restuarants (one of them with and open fire) to warm up in and a free bus back up to Arc 2000.

Also, part way down the run at Arc 1950 there is a pedestrian lift back up to Arc 2000 this might be free as well (can't remember).

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chaletarc wrote:
Take the St Jacques chair in Les Arcs 2000 (this is free)

I think this is no longer a free lift from the start of 2005-06 season Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is interesting to note that for Saas Fee, the 2nd child onwards are free up to age 16. That could make a significant difference to larger families, (makes note to himself, as 2 of my 3 kids would go free)

Zermatt has free passes for all children born after 1995.
Alpes vaudoises (Villars etc) are free for children under 8 with larger discounts for older children with parents.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As Ray implies, the Swiss are using free kids' liftpasses as a means to winning back business from the French ski areas, so it might be a good idea to contact the Swiss Tourist Office in London, lisach. Or you can pop in there for advice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine has a free 2-man lift, drag lift, tow rope lift and bucket "yoghurt-pot" lift serving it's green runs and they also sell a cheaper limited pass for those who want to go slightly further afield.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Swiss deal covers children upto 9 years old, some more details and links here.
snow report
I think the two down in arc1800 are still free this year? Chantel and Carrelly - two great (long for free) blue pistes with possible diversions go down from there and there's a kids snow park at the bottom? If you stay in the alpages du chantel they are very convienient pistes as well - ski in/ski out!

aj xx
snow conditions
ajhainey wrote:
I think the two down in arc1800 are still free this year? Chantel and Carrelly - two great (long for free) blue pistes with possible diversions go down from there and there's a kids snow park at the bottom? If you stay in the alpages du chantel they are very convienient pistes as well - ski in/ski out!

aj xx

Carreley no longer exists - it was dismantled over the summer.
ski holidays
Courchevel 1650 has at least two free lifts, one of which goes about 1/2 to the top of the gondola, we managed to get from that onto another drag and thence into the system without any more liftpass checks .. this will of course no longer be possible with the new hands free system, that aside it's a nice long lift for a freebie compared with those in Val d'Isere or Tignes
snow report
Free lifts are important also for those who don't, or don't want to, ski and who may wish to join skiers for lunch, walk or just take in the view. Alternatively are there lifts with a single charge for pedestrians? Do piste maps display this info or do you need to find out locally. We're off to Lech at New Year - any free/pedestrian lifts there?
snow report
Colin Bell wrote:
... are there lifts with a single charge for pedestrians? Do piste maps display this info or do you need to find out locally. We're off to Lech at New Year - any free/pedestrian lifts there?
Many resorts have lift rates for pedestrians, found this for Val d'Isere.

Tried to find something similar for Lech. The Ski Club has some Lech information and links to http://www.lech-zuers.at. Unfortunately their lift price page just gives me Apache page not found messages! Have sent them an email about the problem.
ski holidays
rob - damn - I like those lifts! Do you know if the remaining one is still free? Was Carreley the shorter one?

They never mentioned that in the resort updates I got a while back:-( I guess 'new lifts and upgrades' is better pr than dismantling and decommissioning...Along those lines does that drag at the bottom of cascades still exist btw? (rhondaz??) Have you ever seen it moving? In three trips I've never managed to catch that thing.....

aj xx
ski holidays
ajhainey, Yes Carreley was the shorter one. Chantel, the longer one, is still there, and I think it remains a free lift. It will probably be replaced by a gondola in 2008 or 2009.

I think the drag is called 'rhonaz' and I've never seen it running either!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy