Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How competitive/hard is it to secure a ski season job?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering taking a gap year before going to university and I originally applied without this in mind but have now after another ski holiday with some friends regretted this and decided I must to do a ski season. However my offer for uni is for a 2013 start but luckily they are willing to defer my entry, but here comes my dilemma if I defer my entry I am committing to a year out before uni but I really don't want to waste it and end up bumming around.

So my question is just how competitive are ski season jobs what are my chances of securing one? I am punctual, well presented and have customer service and bar experience and a small amount of hospitality experience. I would be willing to work in any job as long as I get to do a ski season so what do think my chances are?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stick a good nough CV together and do the job at interview and you'll be fine. Have worked with staff that have less experience than you. If you can cook, look at applying for a chalet host job, if not chalet assistant or something like that. Minimum responsibility and time to ski. I'd recommend doing it, did my first season post uni several years ago now and am still doing them. Go for a company like Inghams (ski total and esprit are their sister companies so one application and you could end up working for any brand, or switch during the season) and there's also the possibility of a summer with them too, taking you up to starting uni.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Question is: are you resourceful? If so I am sure you will work something out. If you are comitted to a year out, and can't get a job in resort, would it be option to work your cahooneys off at home for 9 months and ski all day every day for 3 months? Just a thought for worst case scenario...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won't make any money doing a ski season so my advice is to start saving now! Book yourself into the riders hostel in Nancroix (under the vanoise express) a bed is only £1250 for the full season, full paradiski pass around £650 if you buy early. Once your out there you'll get offers of bits and pieces of work for spending money. Means you ski every day and not just 1.5 days per week! I did exactly this three years ago and it was awesome so ask away if you want to know anything else!
Ps. I ski'd 100 days in a row, best time of my life!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do like the sound of working my ass of then skiing for 3 months solid but then I don't know if you would get as much out of it as opposed to working and making friends with colleagues and the experience gained etc. What kind of level cooking ability does being a chalet host require? I can cook a roast dinner and bake a cake among other things but I'm not three course gourmet meal standard although I'm sure I could improve. Also what is the best medium to apply through websites like natives? or direct to various ski companies or through recruitment agencies?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some jobs are more competitive (bar work), but it's not that hard.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Some jobs are more competitive (bar work), but it's not that hard.

if you've got a cracking pair of norks...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seb G, My son,who's 21,is recently back from his first season....out in the Spanish Pyranees. Most of it is still fresh in my memory,so here goes(though bear in mind this was 'his' experience,so only a guideline).

Get in early.My son was late to the chase through other commitments.Started seriously looking around Aug,and many vacancies were already filled.
Natives brought a lot of responces,but no interviews. A couple of so called 'ski' agencies were useless. Direct contact was more fruitful,but still no offers of interview.
We got a sense that,at least for this past season,that many were returning from the season before,thus the number of vacancies were reduced anyway?
Age seemed a factor for some.With a larger pool of potential employees,some were certainly being a lot more selective... Inghams being a good example.
Son had an excellent CV,with loads of bar,catering,public facing etc; along with top end ski ability.
The break point,for him,were the Ski Shows. It became obvious that many of the independants are using the shows to recruit. He had three 'on the spot' interviews at the NEC;and had a job before he left the show Very Happy And has just had a season as chalet tart and ski guide....and loved it.

So; A good CV,get in early,and do the shows(or at least one of them). If you want it you will get it. Good luck.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seb G wrote:
I do like the sound of working my ass of then skiing for 3 months solid but then I don't know if you would get as much out of it as opposed to working and making friends with colleagues and the experience gained etc. What kind of level cooking ability does being a chalet host require? I can cook a roast dinner and bake a cake among other things but I'm not three course gourmet meal standard although I'm sure I could improve. Also what is the best medium to apply through websites like natives? or direct to various ski companies or through recruitment agencies?

I'd never really cooked before my first season (made the odd cake and pasta bake from a jar) but ended up getting a job as a chalet host. By the end of my last full Winter for a UK TO I was a chef in a 26 bed chalet so it is do-able. There are also courses available out there if glacé the confidence (eg Inghams/Esprit/Total run one the week before the season starts if you get a job offer that you pay for but get half the money back upon completion of the season, ditto Crystal). If you want to go the TO way then go through the companies direct to begin with and also check,out the Natives job fairs and the ski shows.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some companies want 21 year olds and over only. They worry about 18/19 year olds not having the people skills, the ability for sheer hard graft and staying power and the cookery skills (if you think about cooking). Your personality and ability to get on with guests is really important so make sure that those shine through in your CV and in any interview.

Only think about being a chalet cook if you really are prepared to put in the work. The expectations of chalet companies re cookery skills vary (sadly). But even for the budget end it's not just a question of bunging a plate of spag bol or boeuf bourguignon and apple crumble in front of your guests. Some companies will tell you what to cook, others leave it to you to design and budget for your guests. I have been a chalet host (at a rather more advanced age of 40) and cooked for guests as well as been on the receiving end of many a crap chalet meal.

I'd try Natives and direct approaches to the medium sized ski companies-Ski Total, Ski Beat for example. Take a look at www.latania.co.uk as there are plenty of British based chalet companies there and this website is run by a Brit who also owns a couple of bars/restaurants in the area.
You might want to look at smaller owner operated companies who need an assistant. Pick a resort and search online for chalet holidays and they will pop up
If you can afford to do a 4 week ski orientated cookery course in the autumn and factor that into your gap year, you will be far more marketable, especially if they are the ones with links with the ski companies.

You will get oodles of skiing in as a chalet bod-if you're organised you should be on the piste by 11am each day and be able to ski till the lefts close save on changeover day. I personally think it's more fun than just being a ski bum for the season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seb - Once out in resort there are plenty of job opp's that will come your way. Bar work, glass collecting, kitchen porter, cleaning, snow clearing airport bus repping etc. All of these pay pretty well if you have you're own accom( french min wage is 10E p/h) It would be easy to recover your initial outlay for accom and ski pass costs pretty quickly without working your but off 6 days per week and you would get to ski much more. Also gives you a lot more flexibility if you don't like doing a particular job.
Also if you stay in a hostel like I did you will def have the full ski season experience that you are looking for and get seasonaires prices in all the bars etc, its also ideal for having mates visit. I can give you some suggestions of who to get in touch with for work if you wanted to try and get something sorted before you went.
Ali Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alasdair.graham@hotmail.c wrote:
Seb - Once out in resort there are plenty of job opp's that will come your way. Bar work, glass collecting, kitchen porter, cleaning, snow clearing airport bus repping etc.

Last season in week 1 - I sat in an assortment of bars in Meribel for an apres beer or two. During this time the doors revolved very frequently and seeing 6-8 people trudging in over an hour or so was not unusual - all of them got 'sorry we have no jobs'

I also believe (based on entirely unscientific speculation) that brit-focused apartments to rent filled up quite a bit sooner last season than going back 3-4 years (as you could see on livetheseason.com) My impression there were a lot more unemployed brits chasing the dream
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett, I don't think you're wrong - if you're going for the pound the pavement type job search you need to be there pre season but while business owners are actually around i.e. catch them in set up mode when someone may have flaked out on their job commitment. Week 1 is too late. Bar jobs are also ski bum nirvana so at least where I know they go to incumbents or mates of incumbents tipped off early. All of which makes the TO slavery an easier option. Alternately for resorts that have a summer season get out there and work some contacts, making it clear you're after a winter job I'd admire that initiative and financial commitment in an 18 year old.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bertie Basset, Fatbob-you are right going to Meribel in week one and expecting to get a job on the spot is very unlikely to happen unless you are gifted with an incredible set of 'norks'. Haha. However I arrived with my younger brother on new years day, I wasn't looking for work but my brother had a two day a week cleaning job sorted within our first two weeks which covered the entire cost of his 4 months ski adventure, pocket money included. Some of the other lads who arrived after us also jot jobs within a short time of arriving in resort, of the ones looking I think only one didn't find a job. I think the fact that you already have a bed, do not require a ski pass or anything else other than a wage is attractive to people who don't need a full time employee as they just pay you when they need you. Also once in resort once you socialize and get to know the other seasonaires you are part of that crowd and as soon as a job comes up you have a huge advantage over the guy that comes in of the street and says 'gies a job'! Also who the hell wants to work 5/6 days a week when they don't need to!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for all your feedback and tips, its certainly given me a lot to think about. I will definitely do everything I can to secure a job before the the start of the season but if not I am working over the summer so will have some start up cash and can always try the turn up early and search around method suggested. Does anyone have any tips to help you stand out in the application process for the TO's?
snow report
Seb G, My advice is to apply early and keep your mind open to anything. Normally 'bar work' tends to want the staff to speak the local language. You could apply to companies as a driver, or indeed a chalet host if you can cook. If you don't mind where you want to go and work you'll have a load more opportunities open to you. Get the CV up to date, send a photo. I think you'll have no trouble getting a job as long as you start early. Loads of luck, you'll have a fantastic time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy