Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2's new backcountry ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone seen these in the flesh or have views on how they compare to the longer established AT boots on the market?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AFAIK K2 UK only had a couple of sample boots at the trade show in Feb so I don't think anyone's really had their feet in them yet. The lack of user reviews on the net would suggest a similar situation elsewhere.

Looks like (& as confirmed by one of K2 head honchos in an interview) that they've nicked a number of features from other boots & had Fulltilt (whom I believe K2 now own) make 'em. They claim that the lack of a rockered sole is no problem when boot packing & that the central grip area on the sole is sufficient but I'd disagree as a rockered vibram sole is miles better. The lack of replacement toe/heel sole pads seems to be a major downside of the boot although that wouldn't affect the tech binding interface. Also looks like the tech inserts are only available on 130 flex which is not clever. Looking at the ISPO/SIA show clips on YouTube the tour/ski switch mechanism looks nicely done & sturdy.

http://youtube.com/v/NNE0HHRYsDg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The pics in the catalogue have tech fittings on the 110.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They look awesome for anyone that does a bit of dabbling uphill from lift tops. I'd be sticking with my actually light boots for touring with a proper rockered, vibram sole. Great boot to pair with the CAST system though or switch between boots using the Dynafit Beast for lift-served and touring. Anyone know the BSL for 27/27.5?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a slight on K2 or anyone else in the market but in the light of the Salomon Quest debacle how confident are the experts in the function of the tech inserts on all these new gen crossover boots being launched? I can't be alone in thinking that it pays not to be too early adopter on things which if they go bad can go very bad indeed (acknowledging that the Quest incident was probably at the very bad end of the scale).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all. I am in the US this August and will take a look. Agree that is tricky to call without having many/any actual test reports.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisJersey, Best all round boot ever made.

spyderjon, Skied them, errrmazin.

fatbob, The Salomon problem was a simple one, easily resolved, has been by Salomon, the we pieces available next year are perfect now, abeit delta is heavily effected, but that again can be resolved simply. K2 have simply put, not made the simple mistake salomon made, don't worry. Anybody wanting a "ski boot" currently "Futureproffed" K2 have it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CH2O, last width/volume/foot shape etc?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CH2O wrote:

The Salomon problem was a simple one, easily resolved, has been by Salomon, the we pieces available next year are perfect now, abeit delta is heavily effected, but that again can be resolved simply.

Yeah don't use a juicey fruit wrapper as the metal in your tech fittings!
It sure seems to have taken them a long time to release a fix.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edit: Duplicate post

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-05-13 18:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
K2 were field testing skis and boots in Niseko Moiwa, Hokkaido this past season.

Ned Buckley, bootfitter at Rhythm Snowsports in Niseko Hirafu skied in the boots for two days and didn't rate them.

Said they were heavy for a touring boot too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
betterinblack, it was recalled and fixed instantly, a period of dust settling after the witch hunt was needed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The lack of replacement toe/heel sole pads seems to be a major downside of the boot

What are you on about, i've got a few pairs of replaceable "pads" here! Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CH2O wrote:
Quote:

The lack of replacement toe/heel sole pads seems to be a major downside of the boot

What are you on about, i've got a few pairs of replaceable "pads" here! Little Angel

The info I've read says the toe/heel soles aren't replaceable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The info I've read says the toe/heel soles aren't replaceable.

The catalogue says they are. There's a link on one of the Aus ski forums that I can't access from work.
snow conditions
Well i've got some in a box next to me! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I read an online interview by one of the mags with a K2 head honcho who was saying that they were fixed toe/heels to give better power transmission. A nice u-turn then for the better then.
ski holidays
Read some of the comments at the bottom of this:

http://www.wildsnow.com/8766/k2-pinnacle-ski-boot-announced/
snow report
spyderjon, They are fixed toe and heel, the binding lugs attach to the shell, the replaceable soles are under this again, same next year with Scarpa, BD too.
ski holidays
altis, I felt the need upon testing and seeing the boots to write direct to K2's president with feedback and to gush, we're known to be never satisfied in our business, often slamming new products and developments simply diue to overhype. in all the years i've worked at this and now working in development of this product group i felt the need to thank K12 for destroying my dreams by making the perfect Freeride Boot. It's not a frickin' rando boot, in the same way Duke are not frickin' rando Bindings, wakey wakey!
snow report
CH2O wrote:
spyderjon, They are fixed toe and heel, the binding lugs attach to the shell, the replaceable soles are under this again, same next year with Scarpa, BD too.

Ah, so if you need to replacement the soles the tech fitting/inserts stay attached to the upper portion & you just replace the sole pads underneath Cool
latest report
spyderjon, yes mate
latest report
still wondering about these. CH20 noted. MikePow noted. Has anyone else sen them in the flesh or tried them on?
ski holidays
chrisJersey, I've got a new shiny pair that I've skied for 4 days and am very pleased with. I've got zipfit aftermarket liners in them and am very impressed with the whole set up. Particularly like the power band, which has a cam style buckle on it, allowing it to be really powered up and then easily released when walking/hiking. The whole walk/hike mode mechanism is reassuringly sturdy, which can't be said for some of the other implementations of this.

I've got the LV version at 130 flex.

CH2O, Do you have spare heel and toes pads that I can buy?
snow report
Steve Sparks, Yes
ski holidays
chrisJersey, fondled some the other day in a shop, but didn't try them. Look light a really good boot, and the alpine/din sole is really cool. Surprisingly the 130 felt lighter than teh 110!
snow conditions
CH2O, Any more clues on how?
snow report
Steve Sparks, we have a shop you can visit. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks all. I did buy them (98mm last size). not skiing until 28 December now but will report back. bought them online as live in Jersey and no ski shops. any ideas if it is necessary to self heat the intuition liners or if they will mould in use?
ski holidays
They do look a very nice boot. Hmmmm... getting some good choice out there with the Scarpa SL's and others. Damn, I can see myself ending up with a light touring boot, a pure piste boot and a freeride version. First skis, now boot quivers NehNeh

All I need now is a job to pay for them Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I've just been fitted with a shiny new pair of the 130s. Won't get to ski them until January but so far very impressed with the feel of them, and really like features such as the power buckle, the built in tech fitting and the intuition liner. They are perhaps a little on the heavy side (just shy of 2.6kgs per boot at 29.5) but as CH2O says, they're not made for rando. And anyway, they're 170grams lighter than the 5yr old Nordicas they replace, so I'm happy.

As a skier who skis mostly lift served but looking to start doing a bit of touring I think these will complement my Dukes nicely, and if I want to go to the next level I am futureproofed with the tech inserts built in.

chrisJersey, my bootfitter explained to me that when I first tried them on the liner might feel a little thin. When they are heated the foam expands and then moulds around your foot as it cools. Can be remolded up to 3 times apparently.
snow conditions
Seems they won't be available online:

http://www.wildsnow.com/11663/k2-ski-boots-only-sold-in-brick-morter-stores/
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
snow report
Well I got mine from Profeet, but...

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741478/products/k2_pinnacle_130_2014_mens_ski_boots.aspx
http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=K220560GG&gclid=CL7Zu8fPvLsCFaXMtAoddjoARw&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=k2+pinnacle+130&oq=k2+pinnacle&aqs=chrome.2.69i59j69i57j0j69i61j0l2.6035j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=119&espv=210&q=k2+pinnacle+130&safe=off&tbm=shop

etc etc...

Maybe that policy is just across the pond.
snow report
Someone over on TGR already managed to break the walk/ski lock! Pretty impressive considering how solid it looks! Shocked
snow conditions
Just remembered to post my views on these, admittedly only after 2 weeks skiing in them. In summary, a good boot but in my view some issues (ignoring the breakage one meh highlights).

To recap these boots are the LV 130. I did have them heat moulded and also have custom footbeds (flat feet).

Comments:

- the power strap is good and bad. Good because it is one less thing to do up but bad because when unclipped (to walk or tour) it had a tendency to come unfixed from the hinge. On balance I would prefer the traditional approach to the power strap

- switching settings is good ie easy to unclip but without also loosening your power strap and buckle below the increased range of movement allowed is minimal

- intuition liner is good. Comes with optional and very long laces which i have yet to figure out why anyone would need these laced

- I do not see how anyone could break the rear shell hinge as reported on TGR

Would be interesting to see how others have found them. 2 more weeks skiing on them left this season
ski holidays
Just remembered to post my views on these, admittedly only after 2 weeks skiing in them. In summary, a good boot but in my view some issues (ignoring the breakage one meh highlights).

To recap these boots are the LV 130. I did have them heat moulded and also have custom footbeds (flat feet).

Comments:

- the power strap is good and bad. Good because it is one less thing to do up but bad because when unclipped (to walk or tour) it had a tendency to come unfixed from the hinge. On balance I would prefer the traditional approach to the power strap

- switching settings is good ie easy to unclip but without also loosening your power strap and buckle below the increased range of movement allowed is minimal

- intuition liner is good. Comes with optional and very long laces which i have yet to figure out why anyone would need these laced

- I do not see how anyone could break the rear shell hinge as reported on TGR

Would be interesting to see how others have found them. 2 more weeks skiing on them left this season
ski holidays
I've now done over 30 days in mine. Still very happy. One buckle clip fell off, but was instantly replaced by Mountain Air in Verbier who i bought them from. The only concern I have is around where the powerstrap is fixed to the boot at the rear, where the material narrows and it looks as it could be a potential weak spot with time. However mine doesn't come unfixed from the hinge when walking, but maybe I keep it done up reasonably tight.

I've got zip fits in mine which work really well. All in all, very happy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy