Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone worn Googles over persciption (Optilabs) sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

So why the lunacy question? Well, I have a very high prescription lens (+6.5, +6) and I have been after a decent pair of wrap around style sunglasses for years. I have finally come across Optilabs (http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,20) who are able to fit my prescription into a curved lens with suffering from the distortion you would normally get at these high prescription levels. I am looking to get the Ultra 2000 lens which are not only polarised, but also transition between a light olive to dark brown - so giving me the best viewing conditions both on and off the slope.

If possible, I would like to wear these sunglasses UNDER goggles with just a clear lens, hopefully giving me the face projection from the goggles, yet the shade and vision from the sunglasses. Yet I can still wear the sunglasses if I don't want goggles at that time.

I know that many goggles are designed to be worn over prescription glasses, but it has been years since I did this (when I was a kid), but I don't see why they couldn't be worn over prescription sunglasses - unless anyone else knows better. I don't really fancy getting prescription goggles, or goggles with multiple coloured lenses.

Many thanks

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welome to snowHeads.

Helmet with a visor?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That what collective knowledge is for - pointing out the thing that you may have completely overlooked.

Many thanks for this - I will investigate this possibility - I assume that certain helmets can be worn or glasses/sunglasses?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear a hat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic wrote:
Wear a hat.

Hmm - maybe no so useful Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear goggles over my prescription glasses, but they're just regular glasses with a fairly weak prescription. I would say get the sunglasses and then go to a shop with a few over-the-glasses goggles (often marked "OTG") and try a couple. Take your helmet with you if you have one to ensure that fits well with the combination. You'd probably be OK just any OTG goggles online, especially as in theory you should be able to return them in they're unsuitable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a strong prescription not far off your own, and i go for standard clear glasses under Oakley OTG goggles. I have a pair specifically for wearing under goggles with smaller lenses, no wrap around but they do fit under the goggles well, and because the size of the lenses are smaller they can be thinned easier, reducing the weight and the distortion.

I have a separate pair of Oakley sunglasses which I had custom lenses done for which have a curve in them, and the width of the glass is very deep to accomodate the distortion and the perscription. I always wear goggles when riding though, as my eyes stream like *stards otherwise...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely all the OP is asking is 'is it possible to obtain goggles with clear lenses? I don't know the answer, but that sounds like the question IMV. If you have perscription sunnies, then a traditional set of goggles might end up too dark? A helmet with a visor is another obvious solution as pointed out above.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes indeed - The Goggles would need to have a clear visor. I have seen that some goggles have clear lens, but they seem few and far between (for obvious reasons). In addition, because the sunglasses are transition type, I also want to know if this would still actually work, but also if the goggle (even OTR) would fit over such a frame. Its not something I have been able to find any information about, hence the question.

Richard - useful post. It years since I have been on the slopes so I honestly can't say what is going to happen. At this juncture, I doubt I will get another prescription set of glasses specifically for the goggles so will just have to make do.

Its all going to be a bit of a compromise, but I'm just trying to be a little forewarned.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to use clear goggles (Oakley L frame) over prescription glasses for Motocross.

However I much prefer to use tinted goggles (Bolle OTG) over clear prescription glasses and keep my prescription sunglasses in my pocket for lunchtime stops.

I managed to get my prescription in Oakley Flak Jackets and Rayban Warriors but I'm only a -2.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the question is Can you get clear lenses for goggles, then the answer is 'Yes'.
Personally if I were going the route of sunglasses under goggles, i'd go for a pale yellow lens though - if the light goes flat you can take your sun glasses off and switch back to normal specs, and the pale yellow won't cause the world to go too dark when used with the sunglasses.

suggestion...
http://www.vision3k.com/scott-ski-goggles/icon-otg/icon-otg-224171--blck--aml
or
http://www.vision3k.com/bolle-ski-goggles/x9-otg/x9-otg-20313
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swinster, you can also get goggle inserts - no problem with that prescription. They have the advantage that you have a much bigger choice of goggles and they are neater (and in my experience far more comfortable) than wearing specs under goggles. But you would then have to have another pair of specs in your pocket, for example to use when you go into a restaurant and take your helmet and goggles off. But with a high prescription I imagine you always have a spare pair anyway?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
If the question is Can you get clear lenses for goggles, then the answer is 'Yes'.
Personally if I were going the route of sunglasses under goggles, i'd go for a pale yellow lens though - if the light goes flat you can take your sun glasses off and switch back to normal specs, and the pale yellow won't cause the world to go too dark when used with the sunglasses.

suggestion...
http://www.vision3k.com/scott-ski-goggles/icon-otg/icon-otg-224171--blck--aml
or
http://www.vision3k.com/bolle-ski-goggles/x9-otg/x9-otg-20313

The prescription sunglasses are actually a transition type lens, moving from a very light olive to dark brown, but are also polarised (http://www.optilabs.com/site/lenslab.php?ll=4) I'm not sure if the coloured lens on the goggles would affect things, but the sunglasses should be able to cope with most light variation by themselves.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with Richard Sideways.

I find inserts prone to misting, more so than normal glasses under goggles.

Scott and Oakley googles worked best for me as OTG goggles.

To be honest though, I think contact lenses are the way to go as you can then wear non prescription goggles or sunglasses as the weather dictates. You also do not need to worry about losing your prescription item or getting snow or misting. Carry a spare set of lenses with you in case you lose one during the day (unlikely in my experience).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If only my eyes we're capable of supporting contact lens. Unfortunately they are not and there is nothing I can do about it.

I had read elsewhere about problems of mist up with goggles and clip ons/glasses underneath. I am hoping that I am OK with just sunglasses, but as it has been many years I simply don't know, so hence the reason I thought I would have a backup plan. However, as the sunglasses are silly expensive, I didn't want to go too mad with the goggles, especially if its a while until my next snow trip (hopefully not, but you can ever tell!).
snow report
swinster, Friends have had good results with prescription inserts in normal goggles.
snow conditions
I've prescription inserts which fit in Bolle goggles (I've 2 pairs for bright and dull days). No particular problems with misting. I've some wrap around prescription sunglasses which I sometimes wear instead. Sunglasses with OTG goggles just doesn't sound right.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy