Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I wrong to want to book early?

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm in discussion with some friends about skiing next year, and it's been agreed that we'll go to Tignes. 4, or maybe 6 blokes in the 40something age range, some of us (including me) not having skied since 2010. Sad

However, what hasn't been agreed is that we will actually book it. The last word on it was "we'll get together in a couple of months, and sort the exact date out, and then book something in November"

Whereas I would rather agree everything now, and book ASAP, to get any early booking offers.

Trying to get a "late" deal seems far too hit & miss to me, and I would prefer the certainty.

Am I being unreasonable, or even wrong? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaddyLouLou, we all do things differently but I'm with you Laughing If you're organising then you call the shots. Unless you have a very flexible group of 6 then I would get on and agree a date.
I book my group trip early. This ensures good prices for accommodation and flights and as several of us work together, it means we are organised with regards to annual leave and covering the unit. Also means that you can spread the cost quite nicely.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're herding a bunch of cats there are benefits in getting booked early - people get to put their money where their mouth is in terms of committing. From your OP I'd bet that allowed to drift the 4 or possibly 6 will end up at 2 of you by the time you actually got to go once family, work, cashflow, illness, injury, gig tickets, that match on Sky etc are taken into account.

Otherwise if you're not tied to school holidays and not too fussy there's not usually that much to be gained by early booking though TOs do seem to be balancing their incentives in favour of early committers. November is probably the worst time to book from that perspective - too late for incentives, way too early for distressed inventory.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When are you thinking of going? If it's a peak week (Christmas, New Year, Half Term) or you want to stay in a particular place, then booking ahead makes a lot of sense. If it's a low-season week then there will still be plenty of availability and you could just book a week or two before you travel and get the best discounts.

Booking in November you will fall between early booking discounts and last minute discounts, so that seems like the worst of both worlds.

If you are booking a DIY rather than tour-operator trip then it can make sense to decide which week you're interested in well in advance and book the travel (as that tends to get more expensive as you get closer to departure) and then book accommodation at the last minute when you know where the best snow is.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with the post above although as a rule I prefer late booking where possible , this is for last minute deals and better assessment of snow conditions.
If this is not a factor booking early means you don't miss the accommodation you want and you often get much better discounts than you do booking after the summer .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, mine are sheep but the sentiment is the same Toofy Grin Sorts the wheat from the chaff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaddyLouLou, looks like there is a consensus.

My only addition, back in the days when we ever organised groups, it swiftly became apparent that the only way to keep things even was to simply say, "I/we are going <here> on <these>. If you want to join us we used these agents/TO/flights/accommodation".

And let everyone else sort themselves and their own responsibilities out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booking for 2 people, later is better but a group of six is hard to sneak in anywhere, so waiting for late discounts is a big risk. Add to that any requirements for regional flights and you need to be really flexible to take advantage of good prices, if there are any seats left (N.B. a group of six is not going to be flexible, no matter what they tell you, when you have to take into account jobs, families, other bookings, budgets etc. I'm with fatbob on this one, herding cats indeed.)

If you know what you want, get them committed. You will likely only need to put down a deposit anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kieranm wrote:
When are you thinking of going? If it's a peak week (Christmas, New Year, Half Term)

40 year old blokes are not allowed boys trips on those three weeks, in my experience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the input.

Personally, I'm thinking of going between mid-Jan and mid-Feb, but obviously not half term as blahblahblah speaks the truth.
Quote:

40 year old blokes are not allowed boys trips on those three weeks

As for when the others want to go, it's back to herding cats.

4 of us are meeting up this weekend for a little beer festival trip, so I'll try to get a consensus.

And just so you know, I'm NOT supposed to be organising it, but I know that if I don't it won't get organised, and we'll be at the end of March next year and I won't have skied for another year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaddyLouLou, my 2p's worth.....

We're in a similar boat, looking to book a week in jan (away from busy weeks) for a group of us. I've been looking around, and the current "early bird" deals look reasonable to me if you can shop around, probably only £100 ish (once you factor in offers on lift passes etc that tend to be offered at this time of year) more than you'd pay on a late (but not very late!) deal. The benefits, you can pick and chose where you get to go, and can possibly play TO's off against one another to reduce the price further. Also, knowing you're booked and going is a definite incentive to save up each month between now and then, and possibly pay the trip off throughout the year, rather than waiting and having to fork out for the whole thing in one go.

One final point, November is (as others have stated) definitely between the "early bird" and "late deal" options, so surely a bad time to be booking??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaddyLouLou, you won't, as others have said, get any discounts booking in November - worst of all worlds.

If you are planning self catering, between mid Jan and mid Feb, I would decide on a date and book flights NOW and then book accommodation much nearer the time when you know what the snow is like in different places.

In terms of cost there's not much financial advantage in a group of 6 (as opposed to social advantage). If you can persuade a couple of your mates to sign up for a date, and book flights (or book everything if you are wanting a package deal) then the others might fall into line.

If you just book flights there are loads of accommodation option for 2 - 6 people and car hire, or transfers, can be arranged later.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are specific about what you want - things do get booked up. I just took the last 3 rooms for that week in a small hotel we like. I organised one guide 2 months ago, as 3 weeks of the month we wanted him he was already booked so I grabbed him quickly.

I tend to consult our group during the previous season skiing about where they would like to go. I then make a decision about the 3 holidays and enquire about the availability of guides and hotel prices and availability. Then I look into the main transport and transfers.
Finally in about June I contact the dozen people in the group to ask which holidays they want to go on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaddyLouLou wrote:
And just so you know, I'm NOT supposed to be organising it, but I know that if I don't it won't get organised, and we'll be at the end of March next year and I won't have skied for another year.

If that was me and it meant I possibly wasn't going to get to ski, I would take charge now Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If that was me and it meant I possibly wasn't going to get to ski, I would take charge now

me too.
snow report
Though there are some good options for going away on your own, including the SHs bashes. Or UCPA. or Warren Smith or similar outfit. You don't have to depend on flakey mates.
snow conditions
marmotte16 wrote:
DaddyLouLou wrote:

If that was me and it meant I possibly wasn't going to get to ski, I would take charge now Cool

Exactly this, I sent to text to my brother in law on monday whilst sitting in scorching sunshine dring beer ouf of a can (OUT OF A BLOODY CAN!!!) basicaly saying, I'm fed up of summer so are we sorting our february drive to the hills of europe soon?
snow conditions
I always book early, single rooms are in big demand!
snow report
Flights now, car hire at least several months ahead and accommodation a few days before departure (particularly if you want non standard days)
snow conditions
You have been specific about Tignes. I can tell you mark Warner are doing dome good deals for single occupancy rooms in Tignes.

Have a look at the website check your dates, for me room sharing is now a deal breaker.
ski holidays
Btw I didn't do the link I just typed mark Warner
latest report
Kel, that happened to me the other day - irritating. Is there a way to edit out a hyperlink?
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
I always book early, single rooms are in big demand!

Me too, book early and it needn't cost anymore. Some places actually have singles but don't advertise the fact, you only get if you ask.
snow conditions
I've booked 3 weeks already for next season, again because I want a single without a single supplement. I also know what and where I want to go as well as when - 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year and 1 week at the beginning of February. No deposits required and no high season mark-ups either, all booked directly with the hotelier in person.

Book early and you get what you want when you want it, but you need to know what exactly it is that you want. I will book up other weeks on a more as and when basis according to snow conditions and my work schedule. I take very little holiday outside of the ski season and save up my holiday allowance to go skiing as well as clocking up as much overtime as possible in the summer seasons.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Kel, that happened to me the other day - irritating. Is there a way to edit out a hyperlink?

it is an automated thing for snowheads which I guess (based on the link that you end up at) puts you through an affiliate link for snowheads Wink

Alasdair
ski holidays
I'm another needing single rooms that's already booked. I'm also travelling all the way from Australia so can't really afford to 'wing it' if I want to go to specific resorts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy