Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown 2013

Poster: A snowHead
With Coronet Peak scheduled to open one month from today it is time to start the thread for the season. We have had a very warm and dry summer and autumn over most of New Zealand which has been great unless you are a farmer. Thankfully the weather has finally changed and we are now getting some cooler weather with morning frosts and some snow on the mountains. The long range forecast for the start of winter is for normal precipitation but likely to be warmer than normal. Lets hope they are wrong but even if they are right it should be better than last season. No significant changes at any of the local mountains over the summer so nothing new for us. Hopefully there will be the odd Snowhead ( take that anyway you like)down here for the winter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A little more snow yesterday morning so although it is a thin covering it is starting to look good around here. On the bad news side of things the Snow Park http://www.snowparknz.com/ has announced that it will not be opening for this season. This will be a bit of a knock to those that are into the serious side of park skiing and riding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Sarge,

So I'm looking at Queenstown for mid-July. I like a cosy alpine-style hotel with spa / hot tubs / pool / open fire and I'd like a lake view. The Hilton looks great apart from the boat ride to get to town...Any recommendations ?

What does it cost to park at the various snowfields ? Do you need a 4x4 or will a small car do the job ?

Cheers

Blewyn
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blewyn, a 4x4 will give you a certain amount of reassurance if the weather is poor. Don't remember it costing anything to park.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blewyn, The Hilton hits all your points and the restaurants have a good name with the locals. The only down side is the drive/boat to town if you are planning on eating and drinking out. There is no charge for parking at any of the mountains. A light type 4x4 will make life easier but make sure that chains are included as you wont be allowed up the mountain roads without them if the weather looks bad or there has been lots of fresh snow on the roads.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hilton is good, these two are in town, much smaller, but very nice

http://www.thedairy.co.nz

http://www.eichardts.com
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about the Heritage ? Seems tick my boxes and it's only 1km from town..... ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heritage is nice enough, Rydges and the Millenium are OK too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blewyn, You should also look at Peppers Beacon. On the snow situation very little fresh on the mountains but Coronet Peak started snow making last night and with 20cm to 30cm forecast over the weekend its looking like opening in two weeks is reasonably likely Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
30 cm to 50cm on the local mountains over the last few days and quite a bit of snow making has made a good start on a base for the season. Coronet peak is on track to open on the 8th June as long as we don't get heavy rain. The snow fall was right to sea level along the south coast and up at least as far as Dunedin so lots of road havoc and pretty pics on the news.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like there's a load of rain on the way next week, followed by a bit of snow.

Looking OK up this way, Hutt has got a bit on it, nothing else opens for a few more weeks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have just had 24hours of heavy warm rain that did a lot of damage to the snow but then it cooled down and we got a good heavy fall of snow. The Remarkables had 50cms plus by yesterday morning and Coronet Peak 30 to 40cms. Overnight there has been another few cms and snow making is going flat out so opening day for Coronet on Saturday 8th is looking good. Unfortunately I shall be working but will make it up Sunday or Monday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had my first day on the snow today at Coronet Peak. Still rather limited runs open at this stage and only a couple of lifts running but still good to get up there. We definitely need some cooler weather and some more snow but it is still very early in the season. At least its better than the last two seasons at this time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With alternating days of rain and snow on the mountains it has not been the best start to the season around here but a change is on the way. About 15cm new snow on Coronet Peak in the last couple of days and heavy snow forecast for latter today and through tomorrow. All just in time for the Queenstown winter festival that kicks off on Friday. The Remarkables, Cardrona and Treble Cone will all be open by the weekend and with the snow on the way it winter has really arrived.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
20cm plus on the mountains since yesterday and the snow line is down to the lake. Very Happy The forecast for the biggest storm in 20 years has been down graded to the biggest in 10 years for the east coast regions. Still with another 20cm expected in today all is looking good. I believe the central South Island areas will be getting quite a bit more than down here.
latest report
Since the storm has cleared the skiing has been excellent around Queenstown. Both Coronet Peak and The Remarkables have their biggest base for this time of the year for more than 10 years and I believe it the same will be true at Cardrona and Treble Cone. With winter festival is full swing and beautiful blue skies the town is full of very happy people. I will get some photos up later in the week.
latest report
A few photos from today for you. The groomed runs were in perfect condition and the ungroomed ranged from soft patches to lumpy to nicely ski packed.

Towards Queenstown from near the top of Greengates.

Coronet Peak north west face.

Top of the Peak chair

Looking down to the top of Upper Walkabout.

latest report
Hilton booked Happy Hope the gluhvein vats are fired up !!
snow report
Since my last post Coronet Peak has had heavy rain followed by a freeze and then 30cm of wind blown snow creating some interesting conditions. A few more cm's this morning has helped the surface conditions as has near constant snow making for the last few days. Groomed runs are in good condition while the ungroomed varies from a few cm's of fresh on top of ice to areas where the the fresh is on top of 15cm plus of drifted snow. Keeping in the drifts is the trick.

A few photos from today.

Looking up from the bottom of Rocky Gully.

Fresh tracks in the back bowls.

Near the top of Rocky Gully towards the Meadows chair.

latest report
Blewyn, When will you be down here? Conditions are pretty good at the moment. Cardrona and The Remarkables have great snow cover top to bottom. Coronet Peak is pretty good and improving every day with the extensive snowmaking. Treble Cone has 87cm at the bottom and 300cm at the top so plenty for all. A bit of snow forecast for Saturday night and Sunday so all is well.
snow report
Just got back ! I'll post a resort review in this forum, but in a nutshell I give Queenstown a massive thumbs up.....as a summer destination. The fields and runs are OK for beginners I guess, but just too damn short for red/black/offpiste peeps. Everything else about the place - restaurants, other things to do, bars, scenery etc is awesome, easily better than many of the most popular European resorts, and a match for any.
snow conditions
Just looking at your pictures makes me want to get my ski's on. Ahhh, 2 more months until I'm back on the slopes Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy