Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Police looking for Skier

Poster: A snowHead
Was anyone skiing the Pitzal Glacier on the 1st May? If so maybe you recognise the skier in the Blue jacket and black ski pants.

A 56 year old Russian man suffered with broken ribs (see Video in link) from the crash.

http://www.heute.at/news/oesterreich/art23655,875750
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hope they get him. Evil or Very Mad I like "pistenrowdy".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, me too. Plenty of 'em around at chucking out time!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hesitate to bring this up, but at the time of collision/conflict, was the injured party not technically the 'uphill skier'? Not saying the injured party was to blame, just that a pernickety interpretation of the FIS 'rules' could suggest that Puzzled Poor show for blue jacket not to stop though.

My wife got taken out in such a way by a butterball French kid, wife was skiing the fall line at the edge of a 20-basher-widths wide piste, the kid contrived to bomb into her from the side, fortunately no lasting injuries to either party, but I have often wondered who would have gotten the blame had the piste patrol or gendarmes been required.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

but at the time of collision/conflict, was the injured party not technically the 'uphill skier'?

from what I could see, the piste ahead of the subject with the camera was completely clear, then Mr Blue Jacket appeared out of nowhere - from behind. He was definitely the overtaking skier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DidierCouch, eeerrrrr.... no way. And it's not always the fault of the uphill skier - people setting off without looking or joining the run without looking/merging are often the cause and they are normally below. The Russian guy was making even-paced progress using linked turns and not traversing. His trajectory must have been obvious. The other guy was clearly travelling much faster, must have come from higher up the hill and, to me, it looks like he may have been joining the run at speed from off to the side. We don't know. But there's no way it was the Russian guy's fault.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't see the whole story so maybe I'm unfair in wondering why it appears no booger actually takes their skis off and helps our man instead of just standing there. Child excepted Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nah, DidierCouch, colliding skier fairly clearly came from behind -and seemed to disappear off in a cloud of FAIL
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The guy with skis off @ 1.20 is the one that knocked him down. Looks like the 'pistenrowdy' then goes to collect the fallen guys skis and is still hanging around at the end.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill, I'm glad you thought that - that's how it looked to me. I like the terminology, although couldn't pistenrowdy describe lots of 'young people' on a Friday night?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
although couldn't pistenrowdy describe lots of Snowheads on a bash?

FIFY Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill, [flounceo] HOW VERY DARE YOU! Shocked [/flounceo]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masqueo, 5am face down on the keyboard Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
although to be fair it is all based on hearsay, and the pictures Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thornyhill, I had cooked dinner for god knows how many and killed half a bottle of vodka . . . . hmmmmm this isn't sounding too good . . .
latest report
What a strange video. It looks as if there is a bunch of people standing around doing absolutely nothing to assist the guy, plus a youngster pointing straight at him in an awkward and insecure looking snowplough ready to lose grip and make matters worse. Confused
snow report
Masque wrote:
Thornyhill, I had cooked dinner for god knows how many and killed half a bottle of vodka . . . . hmmmmm this isn't sounding too good . . .

I was wondering whose side you might be on. Happy Happy
ski holidays
Poor guy Sad It's not as if the person that hit him didn't have any room and not to stop is terrible.
I was buzzed by someone last season, who inadvertantly caused me to face plant downhill and he stopped, picked my poles up for me and didn't even laugh at my bunny ears helmet cover (though my husband was howling with laughter from further down the slope)..
ski holidays
ccl, watch it a few times. Blue jacket is the guy that (or who or whom or whatever) took him out. Red and white jacket is his buddy from the first few seconds. No idea about the other two, but one of them hadn't skiied before Sunday Sad
ski holidays
I had already watched it a few times before I posted. And more again but it still seems odd. No-one seems to be helping the guy who is hurt. Do any of them say anything? There is certainly sound, but no voices.
snow report
ccl wrote:
I had already watched it a few times before I posted. And more again but it still seems odd. No-one seems to be helping the guy who is hurt. Do any of them say anything? There is certainly sound, but no voices.

Blue jacket goes and gets his (camera guy's) skis. Camera guy stands up. Blue jacket still hangs around. If I had wiped someone I would do exactly what blue jacket did. They obviously speak different languages as blue jacket tries several thumbs up. To me that looks like....'My fault, I took you out. Here are you skis. Are you OK? Ah you are standing. Sorry mate.....no harm done'
snow report
Thornyhill, Camera guy never made it more vertical than his knees and with broken ribs he was lucky he wasn't spitting blood . . . been there felt the crunchy breathing Twisted Evil
snow report
Masque, I thought he was standing. Get up a bit then get up a bit more. As before......I could be wrong
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
To me that looks like....'My fault, I took you out. Here are you skis. Are you OK? Ah you are standing. Sorry mate.....no harm done'

and to me it looks like.... 'I'm gonna do a bit of concerned-looking hanging around, ski fetching and thumbs up stuff (without actually going over and seeing close-up if the guy is OK and swapping details just in case) so that everyone around thinks I'm a responsible kinda guy, and then I'm gonna hot-tail it outa here before I'm done for something criminal.'
snow conditions
Much ado about nothing in my view. The video doesn't conclusively prove anything as the varied opinions above show. It might have been the blue guys fault but it might not have been.
snow report
Blue jacket was coming from behind and about twice the speed. Seems to me it was his fault. Unfortunately the video ends before we see at what point he departs (assuming it was the same guy, which it looked like to me).
latest report
snowball wrote:
Blue jacket was coming from behind and about twice the speed. Seems to me it was his fault. Unfortunately the video ends before we see at what point he departs (assuming it was the same guy, which it looked like to me).

+1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
why is this clip in the news article 3:20 when the incident happened at 0:15. i was expecting more to evolve but ...well just lots of puffing and panting and people standing around looking....was he hurt or people he was with couldnt give a t#ss??
ski holidays
What we cannot see is what might have been happening behind the injured skier when the accident happened.

Another skier or skiers may have done something unpredictable causing blue jacket to swerve and then hit the chap in the video. That still does not excuse blue jacket because he still in my view, had the responsibility to ski in a manner that he could react to something unpredictable, but it might explain why he managed to hit someone on what looks to be a reasonably wide and uncrowded piste.
snow report
Pistenrowdy, what a marvellous word. I feel so out of touch. At the start of that video I thought we may have some inner tip lead discussion kicking off but fortunately the collision happened. Looked to me like he was taken out from behind, could have been converging pistes where it's more 50/50 just possibly
snow report
Pov cameras are pretty bad at giving a rounded picture of events. I'd surmise that the guy is taken out by the skier from the side/behind but it's also true that the filmer isn't showing great spacial awareness by looking around occasionally.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Pov cameras are pretty bad at giving a rounded picture of events. I'd surmise that the guy is taken out by the skier from the side/behind but it's also true that the filmer isn't showing great spacial awareness by looking around occasionally.

Looks like it was chest mounted to me - so we wouldn't know if he was checking his view or not. The fact it's such a 'quiet' view shows he's a decent skier, IMV.
snow report
Far from standing up the Russian had his hands on the ground and then tuned over and you could see his legs stretched out on the snow in front of him. He shouldn't have to keep looking behind him to see who was catching him up. He was behaving predictably when he was hit.

Yes, there could have been someone else got in the way but a very similar thing happened to me a few years ago - except the difference in speed was not so great. A completely empty piste ahead, and me making regular carved turns (my friends were quite a way behind).
The man came to a stop 50 yards down the piste and waited while my friends ministered to me. Eventually I was able to ski on as the pain in my knee lessened and I merely told him off on the way past and didn't take his details. That was stupid since since my knee was still painful and was worse the next day and the French doctor told me I shouldn't have carried on skiing to get home. (I was able to ski again 6 weeks later).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy